Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

When do I change my engine oil? Which engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Cobra 715

Originally Posted by crankedGT/CS
when i owned my previous car (02 WS.6 T/A till 08) i used to spend a lot of $ on oil/filters and time on the boards discussing this brand vs that etc... after years of reading, learning etc, my advice is not to get too caught up in pricey brand names. What do I put in my car? Motorcraft syn blend and filter every 5k miles. Relatively cheap and i'm confident that 10 years from now my car will be no different than the guy that puts any other brand name syn blend in it at similar intervals.
I once read in a consumer reports magazine that since there is no regulation concerning "blends", oil companies mislead consumers by selling a mix of 20% syn. and 80% conventional plus charging almost the same amount for a full synthetic quart. I have been using M1 for more than 20 yrs without any problems and just recently switched to Royal Purple after watching a couple of videos on their web site @ royalpurple.com.

Last edited by Cobra 715; 01-27-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:45 PM
ihavefat
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone! Now I have made up my mind.

I am going to stick with Mobil 1 (full synthetic 5w 20). I checked out wal mart and autozone and WOW. Wal mart is sooo much cheaper. Now I couldn't find Mobil filter at wal mart so I checked auto zone and they had some. But there were different sizes. I checked the manual and it doesn't really specify the size...only the "element".

I know the manual requires 8 qts so after I use two bottles of M1 (5qt per bottle), I would have 2qts left in one bottle. Do I just keep it until the next oil change? Also I plan on changing every 5-6k miles. Do you guys think it's a bit too frequent?

When you guys change engine oils, do you guys have a measuring cup or container or just guesttimate how much and keep on checking afterwards?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm a total noob but I want to do my best to keep a good care of my baby.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ihavefat
I am going to stick with Mobil 1 (full synthetic 5w 20).
Excellent choice.
I know the manual requires 8 qts so after I use two bottles of M1 (5qt per bottle), I would have 2qts left in one bottle. Do I just keep it until the next oil change?
That's fine. I tend to buy one 5 quart bottle and 1 quart bottles for each oil change, but there's nothing wrong with letting a synthetic oil sit on the shelf for 6 months between oil changes.
Also I plan on changing every 5-6k miles. Do you guys think it's a bit too frequent?
My motto is 6 months or 6K miles, whichever comes first.
When you guys change engine oils, do you guys have a measuring cup or container or just guesttimate how much and keep on checking afterwards?
If you're going to use two five gallon containers, then it's best to use a 1 quart measuring cup/bottle to add the final 3 quarts. You can pick one up cheap at Harbor Freight.
Sorry for so many questions. I'm a total noob but I want to do my best to keep a good care of my baby.
We were all new owners with no experience at some point. It's best to ask questions before you make mistakes, or else the questions get very expensive very fast. I commend you for researching before making a decision.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 AM
ihavefat
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Excellent choice.

That's fine. I tend to buy one 5 quart bottle and 1 quart bottles for each oil change, but there's nothing wrong with letting a synthetic oil sit on the shelf for 6 months between oil changes.

My motto is 6 months or 6K miles, whichever comes first.

If you're going to use two five gallon containers, then it's best to use a 1 quart measuring cup/bottle to add the final 3 quarts. You can pick one up cheap at Harbor Freight.

We were all new owners with no experience at some point. It's best to ask questions before you make mistakes, or else the questions get very expensive very fast. I commend you for researching before making a decision.
..Wait. They have 5 gallon per bottle?!

But I will def go look for the quart measuring cup/bottle.

I still don't know how big of a filter I need...I will go search for it on google.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

My only consern about Moble 1 is the following
awhile back they sued castrol because castrol was selling hydro-cracked oil as synthetic and that method is cheaper and results in a lower quality oil.

Castrol won the lawsuit and then Moble 1 as theydidn't see a benefit to making more costly real synthetic started hydro-cracking oil themselfs, however the top oil from moble 1 is said to still be true synthetic but any oil from moble 1 below that very top oil are hydro-cracked.

however even with all that castrol does have a true synthetic but its not normally available in the US but in the EU they have it because some auto makers over there don't see hydro-cracked oil as being good enough.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

..Wait. They have 5 gallon per bottle?!

But I will def go look for the quart measuring cup/bottle.

I still don't know how big of a filter I need...I will go search for it on google.
Lol, my bad. I meant quarts. Should be able to find out which filter you need at any pepboys, autozone, etc.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:02 PM
crankedGT/CS
1st Gear Member

congrats on not bein afraid to ask--that's how we all learned at one time or another. and you'll feel great once you begin doing this and other work yourself. You'll know its done right and be proud of your work! Let us know how it goes! cheers!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Cobra 715

Thanks everyone! Now I have made up my mind.

I am going to stick with Mobil 1 (full synthetic 5w 20). I checked out wal mart and autozone and WOW. Wal mart is sooo much cheaper. Now I couldn't find Mobil filter at wal mart so I checked auto zone and they had some. But there were different sizes. I checked the manual and it doesn't really specify the size...only the "element".

I know the manual requires 8 qts so after I use two bottles of M1 (5qt per bottle), I would have 2qts left in one bottle. Do I just keep it until the next oil change? Also I plan on changing every 5-6k miles. Do you guys think it's a bit too frequent?

The M1 filter part # is M1212. I've been changing my oil for many yrs. every 12K miles and the filter at half interval (around 6K miles) but only if your car is not under warranty anymore. But if your car is still under warranty, you should follow the recommended interval per owners manual in case that you need warranty service from the Ford stealership.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:54 PM
ihavefat
1st Gear Member

Okay! So today I planned on changing the engine oil. Got my tools ready:

Floor jack
Jack stands
Vinyl gloves
Creeper
2 jugs of Mobil 1 (full synth)
Mobil 1 oil filter
Combo Wrench
(didn't feel like I need to get a filter wrench...)

So I got the car lifted and everything. And before draining the engine oil, I tried to locate the oil filter just to make sure. I COULD NOT find it. I was so annoyed. Then after a while, I learned that there's an engine shield that was covering it. I almost face-palmed myself. I brought my tool box so I can unscrew the engine shield but for some reason the sockets I had were either too big or too small. It was getting real late and decided to do it tomorrow.

1st engine oil change attempt: Failed.

P.s. I was a bit afraid to scratch the bottom by misplacing the floor jack or the jack stands...Do you guys have any preference?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Cobra 715

Okay! So today I planned on changing the engine oil. Got my tools ready:

Floor jack
Jack stands
Vinyl gloves
Creeper
2 jugs of Mobil 1 (full synth)
Mobil 1 oil filter
Combo Wrench
(didn't feel like I need to get a filter wrench...)

So I got the car lifted and everything. And before draining the engine oil, I tried to locate the oil filter just to make sure. I COULD NOT find it. I was so annoyed. Then after a while, I learned that there's an engine shield that was covering it. I almost face-palmed myself. I brought my tool box so I can unscrew the engine shield but for some reason the sockets I had were either too big or too small. It was getting real late and decided to do it tomorrow.

1st engine oil change attempt: Failed.

P.s. I was a bit afraid to scratch the bottom by misplacing the floor jack or the jack stands...Do you guys have any preference?
I know how you feel. The first time I changed the filter, I couldn't find it until I removed the three 8mm bolts that keep the shield in place. It will dangle in the rear so don't worry about that. Don't forget to pour oil inside the new filter to help the engine build up oil pressure a lot faster.

Quick Reply: When do I change my engine oil? Which engine oil?