Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Reasonable for a 2011 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default Reasonable for a 2011 GT?

I have a Sterling Metallic Gray 2011 GT Premium 5.0 6-spd manual with Brembo Brake package (including 19" wheels) and factory 3.73 gears purchased new last February and has 12,500 miles. MSRP was $35,800. Completely stock and clean.

Based on the color/options (and the fact that I have not been able to find one like it for sale), would $28,500 be a reasonable trade in price?

Unfortunately, I may need to trade it in and would appreciate any feedback on pricing.

Thank you.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I would look up the KBB and NADA trade in values. I'd do a search on autotrader for similarly equipped cars that are dealer listed - for the options like the 3.73 rear gears, add in keywords like 3.73 and brembo. you may need to expand the radius for the search to find comparables.

if a dealer has a used comparable listed for say, random example 33k.. assume they left some wiggle room in negotiations for it. they'd probably take a 31k offer for it etc.. so your trade in value needs to be around a grand under that 31k amount for it to be worth their while.

this is not a perfect science by any means - just a way to check up on your trade in value to try to ensure you are getting a fair offer.

good luck. your car in that configuration and color is what I *wanted*, but could not find. bah. : )
Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

I think $28500 is more along the lines of the retail price for your car, trade value would be a couple thousand below that. NADA shows top trade in value is $26000.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2011/...dard-Equipment
Old 01-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Tygr1
2nd Gear Member

I'll give you 26K for it.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:39 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

My guesstimate .. Dealer would offer you $23,000 on a trade ... Remember .. dealers use AUCTION sale prices .. not KBB prices ...

Of course ... it all depends on what you are trading it in for and how much you pay for the new vehicle ... Pay MSRP on a NEW vehicle and dealer may give you $28K ...

Take to a CARMAX if you have on nearby .. they will do an appraisal and write you a check right there.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:53 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
My guesstimate .. Dealer would offer you $23,000 on a trade ... Remember .. dealers use AUCTION sale prices .. not KBB prices ...
You're exactly right, most dealers will low ball you big time on the first appraisal before they start doing the "well let me go check with the manager" Bull $hit . That's why it pays to research. You have to haggle for a while to get them up to the high end. I've had 5 Mustangs since 2005 and one of the best tricks for the buyer is to just tell them they are too far off on price and leave. They will call you back with a better deal within a day or two.

You could always still stick it on cars.com or autotrader for $28500 and see what happens.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mph07alloy
You're exactly right, most dealers will low ball you big time on the first appraisal before they start doing the "well let me go check with the manager" Bull $hit . That's why it pays to research. You have to haggle for a while to get them up to the high end. I've had 5 Mustangs since 2005 and one of the best tricks for the buyer is to just tell them they are too far off on price and leave. They will call you back with a better deal within a day or two.

You could always still stick it on cars.com or autotrader for $28500 and see what happens.
Ouch!!!! Thank you for the tips. btw - this is my 4th Mustang since 2004. Always got very good trade in value because I only worked 1.2 miles form home and had extremely low miles. Could not afford to take less than $27500 on this though. Of course, like the saying goes, a car is worth what someone will pay for it...
Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 AM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmhines

Of course ... it all depends on what you are trading it in for and how much you pay for the new vehicle ... Pay MSRP on a NEW vehicle and dealer may give you $28K ...

Take to a CARMAX if you have on nearby .. they will do an appraisal and write you a check right there.
Exactly, I called Carmax a few weeks ago and they had a sweet terminator convertible for sale. When I told them about my 11 GT, he told me the max they would give me on trade in is 21-20K. I then told him that nada and kbb has my car for 26K on trade in value with the low miles that it has. He then told me that they go by auction price and not kbb and nada. Told me after that kbb and nada doesnt sell cars, they do. I said ok good bye.

Its BS though that they go by this. Just screws the buyer even more and makes them "buried" in their current car loan.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:46 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Yeah carmax gave more $4k for a car that was easily worth $8k. Bought my 08 GT for just under $20k with 36k on it, fully loaded, only thing it didn't have was the shaker 1000. There's better deals out there but that's what they were going for around my area in March and April, especially fully loaded. Some even up to $25k.

That said I will always try to avoid carmax, we went through our own bank for payments and they made it as much of a hassle as possible for us because of it. Also their "We have standards in quality" is b.s. They try to screw you over as much as that shady no name lot on the corner coming out of an abandoned baseball field.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

I'd say the best offer you will get will be around 26k. I bought my 2011 Premium GT with the Brembo package used for 29k when it had only 1300 miles on it. The guy that traded it in for a GT500 obviously got less than that.

Quick Reply: Reasonable for a 2011 GT?