Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:26 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I've changed mine at least 4 times. 3v exhaust is like searching for the holy grail. LOL
Old 03-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Pete's GT

Thanks for all the responses! The thing is I don't see myself doing any changes with the mid pipes or headers in the near future, as I only drive my baby from 0ctober until april. So I was thinking about just doing the axlebacks upgrade. Anyone here know the difference between the Pypes and SLP loudmouths? Both have the resonators inside the tips. Is it just the tip diameter of 3.5 inches compared to 4?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Heavy Metal Thunder

Originally Posted by Pete's GT
Thanks for all the responses! The thing is I don't see myself doing any changes with the mid pipes or headers in the near future, as I only drive my baby from 0ctober until april. So I was thinking about just doing the axlebacks upgrade. Anyone here know the difference between the Pypes and SLP loudmouths? Both have the resonators inside the tips. Is it just the tip diameter of 3.5 inches compared to 4?
Pypes Muffler Deletes and SLP LM are just straight pipes with different tips.

Pypes Pype Bombs and MAC Boom Tubes are straight pipes with resonator tips. The Pype Bombs are dual walled with perforations I believe, and the MAC boom tubes have a louvered core resonator.

If you REALLY think you'll leave headers, cats, midpipe stock, I'd personally get the KR (FR500S) Mufflers which are a straight through design. They are the best sounding axleback but ONLY if you leave everything else stock. I ran them with high flow cats and then with an offroad midpipe though and they sounded like crap in my opinion if everything else is not left stock. For some reason I don't believe you tho lol. I thought I'd just be getting an axleback too and calling it a day. I totally thought my muffler deletes sounded badass..... that is.. until I went to a mustang meet and heard what long tube headers sounded like in person. Also I have old vids of my car with pypes muffler deletes and boom tubes if you want comparisons that you know were made with the same camera.

If I was staying stock and just getting axlebacks I'd get these again (not my vid).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFEeb...eature=related

Last edited by Heavy Metal Thunder; 03-01-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by Pete's GT
MAC Boomtubes are amazing if you aren't changing any other exhaust... i can't believe they aren't still highly recommended on here. used to be all the rage from 07-10.

edit here you go: https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s...nd-thread.html

official exhaust thread. note the guy that made the thread was really into listening to different exhaust setups, he also went with boomtubes... they are something you need to hear in person. I had them on my '07 GT. really loved the sound of that.

Last edited by Mishri; 03-01-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Heavy Metal Thunder

Originally Posted by Mishri
MAC Boomtubes are amazing if you aren't changing any other exhaust... i can't believe they aren't still highly recommended on here. used to be all the rage from 07-10.

edit here you go: https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s...nd-thread.html

official exhaust thread. note the guy that made the thread was really into listening to different exhaust setups, he also went with boomtubes... they are something you need to hear in person. I had them on my '07 GT. really loved the sound of that.
I've had both MAC axlebacks (flowpath and boom tubes) and I think the MAC flowpaths sound better but that's just my opinion. I like boom tubes too though.

Last edited by Heavy Metal Thunder; 03-01-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

I think I've got something a little different with my shorty headers, magnaflow catted x, and a single center mounted dual inlet/dual outlet flowmaster 40 series that dumps before the axle.

I absolutely love the sound of my car and i've heard a **** ton of different S197 exhaust setups. My buddy did the same thing to his with bbk longtubes and an offroad x, it sounded even better (and louder) than mine.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:24 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

$.02 I'm using UPR's off-road x-pipe and GT500 takeoffs. I like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUz3IhQ1fF8