Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Who bought a base model so they could mod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Who bought a base model so they could mod?

After looking at gt premiums running 35-36k with everything but nag system.... Looks like I'm going to have to rule that out. I'd like leather but can live without and will probably do aftermarket nav unit. But I could have swore when the 2011 came out, base model was like 25k. Now it's like $27,xxx.

Anyone else have to get a base model and give up luxuries so they could mod?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

irrc the going msrp for a base gt at release was 30k. this was before negotiations or any special offers. if you are seeing them for 27 that seems like a good deal to me.

the premium package offers a ton more then just leather, though. I understand the price difference is a considerable amount. if I wouldn't be able to mod a premium, but I could afford the base and mods for it, I'd go the base and mods route. it is a performance car afterall, but the premium package offers a ton of things that make the car a more ideal daily driver to me.

it boiled down to buying a vette or a stang, and the vette just wasnt a comfortable all in one package that would make a good DD. it was worth it to me to get the prem pkg.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Performance wise, what's the Premium got over the base?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:20 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

I not a expert but Performance wise I would say maybe a upgraded gear in the back and brakes if you order it that way. Otherwise I would say nothing.

Its all creature comforts and gizmos that you may like but can you live without them is the question. I didnt have much of a choice in my car but if I was going to buy one, the Premium would be my choice or atleast a base with a few select options.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Depends on the mods you're planning, and if you end up paying for the labor to do them.
Getting a car for less when you already know the mods you "Plan" on doing and what they'll cost may be the better way to go, or it may actually cost you more.

Premium is usually just non-performance items. If there's a gear ratio difference, that would be an option (such as 3.55 or 3.73 gears vs 3.31's). Again depends what you'll want to do with them.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Kind of like asking "Who bought a car so they could drive?"...
Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 AM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

I bought the base specifically to save some weight on unneeded features. I paid under 27k for my 2012, and this seems like the best way to get "bang for your buck".
Old 03-04-2012, 09:07 AM
homershoots

I bought my 2010 base simply because I was looking at a 2011 cal special for like 36k thought about it for a few days and decided I didn't want that big of a car payment. I needed a car and found a 2010 gt base used with 9k miles on it for 23 and change so that's what I went with. The only thing I don't care for is the cheesy rubber steering wheel!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

I got a base model because thats really all I wanted. I got the car for the looks and the engine. The only option I had in it was the shaker 500. I'm still very happy with it. If I were looking at a new one, the only options I'd look at are 373 gears, the brembo breaks package, and a shaker 500

EDIT: I see you are in the army in NC, don't buy near Ft.Bragg. They know soldiers will pay good money for cars so they don't haggle at all. If you are a member of USAA check out their car buying tool. You can save a lot of money with it. Sometimes its even better than going threw the AAFES guys that you see in BAF or Kandahar.

Last edited by yourmyboybh1026; 03-04-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:22 AM
PaulWuzHere

I bought the base for a few reasons. I hate leather, touch screens don't belong in a mustang (IMO), my color is... well... lame and price (big part).

Only options I opted for were the security package and the appearance package.

I say go base and mod it. Anyone can buy a loaded car, but you have the option to spend less and have a one of a kind car tailored to what YOU want.

Quick Reply: Who bought a base model so they could mod?