Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2005 Mustang GT Nitrous question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:23 AM
night7519
1st Gear Member

Default 2005 Mustang GT Nitrous question

Hey folks. I just bought a ZEX wet nitrous Blackout kit for my 2005 Mustang GT and want to know what else I'll need to SAFELY run nitrous on my ride. I have read a bit here and there and see a lot of mention of a window switch and blow down tube.

I currently am mostly stock with just an Airaid CAI and 93 race tune from Bama. In the next couple of weeks I'll be installing a set of FRPP hot rod cams and an FRPP high performance intake.

This car is my daily driver so I can't afford to do anything stupid and blow the motor. As such I need the advice of some of you experts out there to aid me in my quest for more HP.

So, other than the basic ZEX kit, what else would you recommend for safely running nitrous?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:05 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I know you aren't going to want to hear this, but I wouldn't add nitrous if you can't afford to break it. I don't think i'd even do the cams.

Even though I've had very few problems modding my daily driver, I wouldn't do it again. Pay off the mustang and get another car to use as a daily driver.

Since I doubt you'd listen to me. My best advise would be to get a dyno tune for the nitrous, from a good shop.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:51 AM
night7519
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I know you aren't going to want to hear this, but I wouldn't add nitrous if you can't afford to break it. I don't think i'd even do the cams.

Even though I've had very few problems modding my daily driver, I wouldn't do it again. Pay off the mustang and get another car to use as a daily driver.

Since I doubt you'd listen to me. My best advise would be to get a dyno tune for the nitrous, from a good shop.
I appreciate the advice. The car has been paid for a long time and I have thought about getting another vehicle as a daily driver but...this car is just too much fun to drive to leave it sitting in the garage.

You said you had very few problem modding your daily driver but wouldn't do it again...mind if I ask why?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by night7519
I appreciate the advice. The car has been paid for a long time and I have thought about getting another vehicle as a daily driver but...this car is just too much fun to drive to leave it sitting in the garage.

You said you had very few problem modding your daily driver but wouldn't do it again...mind if I ask why?
To much worrying that something might go wrong. I understand what you are saying about not driving it. I'm going to buy another car and keep the mustang. I plan to add the steeda belt system for the whipple and eventually an aluminator short block, but not until I get another vehicle.

I would have enjoyed driving it more, if I wasn't so worried about breaking something. I bought a motorcycle just to have a back up vehicle.

For me, if it were to break right now, I'd go straight out and buy another new car. Something that gets 40mpg for under 20k. That way I can fix the mustang on my own schedule.

I will not be modding my next daily driver.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 PM
night7519
1st Gear Member

To much worrying that something might go wrong. I understand what you are saying about not driving it. I'm going to buy another car and keep the mustang. I plan to add the steeda belt system for the whipple and eventually an aluminator short block, but not until I get another vehicle.

I would have enjoyed driving it more, if I wasn't so worried about breaking something. I bought a motorcycle just to have a back up vehicle.

For me, if it were to break right now, I'd go straight out and buy another new car. Something that gets 40mpg for under 20k. That way I can fix the mustang on my own schedule.

That makes sense. Takes some of the fun out of it if you are worried about it everytime you drive it. I suffer some of that already without having made any major modifications. Hate leaving it parked anywhere for fear of someone getting up against it or an errant shopping cart. So I get what you're saying.

Thanks for the response.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:17 AM
DarthV8

Afee tips with that system.

1. Get some sparks plugs that run a step colder than the stock ones.
2. Mount it as close to the TB as you can to avoid pooling of the NOS.
3. Keep your shot at 75hp or below.
4. Don't spray with TCS on.
5. Don't use it with a tune that sets your.timing forward, you will be more likely to cause a detination.
6. Get a pressure guage for your bottle, you'll be surprised at how seldom your bottle is not at optimum tempature with out the use of a bottle warmer.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:51 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

If you're looking for expert advice you'd be better off posting this in Pipes, Boost & Juice section. You should start by reading the install manual since that will layout a safe set up based on a stock motor. Research the cam selection based on how big a shot you'd like to run. 93 race tune will be a problem, probably can get away with it on a 50 shot but its going to be less than optimal. Get a new Nitrous specific Race tune from Bama but discuss the cam selection first. It maybe you'll need a dyno tune with the cams your looking at. A Window switch adds a layer of safety and tuneability. A fuel pressure cut off switch is a must as is a bottle heater & pressure gauge. Proper bottle pressure is key to having the right mix of air/fuel/N2O and hence consistency/safety. Blow down tube is a good idea and mandatory at most tracks. Mounting the nozzle closer to the TB gives you a bigger hit but increases chance of pooling since the charge has less time to mix with the incoming air.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:50 PM
piledriver
Banned

I hear ya there brother. With all the stuff I've done to my car, I am terrified I am gonna bust something. I have $50K into her, and that's enough, God Damn it!!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:29 AM
night7519
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the responses folks!

Based on what I'm hearing here's the list of additional items I'll need:

Colder plugs
Bottle Pressure Gauge
Bottle heater
Window switch
Fuel Pressure cutoff switch
Blow down tube

Does that about sum it up?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:19 PM
night7519
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
If you're looking for expert advice you'd be better off posting this in Pipes, Boost & Juice section. You should start by reading the install manual since that will layout a safe set up based on a stock motor. Research the cam selection based on how big a shot you'd like to run. 93 race tune will be a problem, probably can get away with it on a 50 shot but its going to be less than optimal. Get a new Nitrous specific Race tune from Bama but discuss the cam selection first. It maybe you'll need a dyno tune with the cams your looking at. A Window switch adds a layer of safety and tuneability. A fuel pressure cut off switch is a must as is a bottle heater & pressure gauge. Proper bottle pressure is key to having the right mix of air/fuel/N2O and hence consistency/safety. Blow down tube is a good idea and mandatory at most tracks. Mounting the nozzle closer to the TB gives you a bigger hit but increases chance of pooling since the charge has less time to mix with the incoming air.
You mentioned a Fuel Pressure cut off switch...so you have a link to one of these? Just want to be sure I completely understand what I'm looking for on this particular part. Thanks much.

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT Nitrous question