Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got an optima red top (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
gREAT.
wHATS THE PART OR gROUP # OF THAT THERE RED TOP?

fricken caps lock...

Yellow Tops are not for starting purposes and the life will suffer
from the instantaneous amp draws during starting.
Yellow Tops like to be fully discharged before recharging like trolling motors...
Not for starting vehicles...
True, it's not made for starting vehicles so much. Although, I've had a yellow top in my other car, 2000 GTP, for 7 years now and it shows no sign of weakness. Starts every winter and always has.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:26 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I like to gamble but only in Vegas, not with my
vehicle starting 100% of the time for the full
life of my battery.

Now if you have a 10,000 Watt stereo and like
to drain your battery 99% every weekend, then
maybe a Yellow Top is for you.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:39 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 157dB
gREAT.
wHATS THE PART OR gROUP # OF THAT THERE RED TOP?

fricken caps lock...

Yellow Tops are not for starting purposes and the life will suffer
from the instantaneous amp draws during starting.
Yellow Tops like to be fully discharged before recharging like trolling motors...
Not for starting vehicles...
Off the top of my head I'm not sure ill pop the hood and let you know
Old 04-22-2012, 10:41 AM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

Looks like a Group 34/78. Same one I have but I used a UPR mount. My oem battery was 6 years old with a combination of weekend vehicle and DD and never gave me any grief fwiw. Only reason I changed it was because the posts were corroding. And I wanted to be sure it could handle my stereo install. Upgraded the clamps to Kickers which are much nicer looking and a little lower profile.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:59 AM
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

What's the big advantage of the Optima? I usually get 5-6 years out of a stock battery and they cost half the price.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:19 PM
dr.dirty
1st Gear Member

Well coming form the Jeep world optimas are garbage. They are now made in Mexico and the QC is horrible. In a car its not a huge issue if it dies on you, but when you are out in the middle of nowhere you cant take that chance... I have a Red and a yellow top that are less than 2 years ol on the shelf in my shop that wont hold a charge. I now will only run Odyssey or the re-badged Sears Die hard platinum. A quick Google search will yield lots of bad Optimas over the past few years.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Optima Bill

Hey guys,
I thought I would drop in for a couple comments.
First, YellowTops are dual purpose, starting & deep-cycling batteries. So, they recharge like a RedTop, work fine as a OEM replacement, plus give you that added power for aftermarket stereos, etc. They are the best of both worlds when it comes to batteries, so feel free to use those as replacement options too, especially if you have a big stereo or other aftermarket items.
I have to disagree with Dr. Dirty. While our batteries are manufactured in Monterrey, it is at a brand new, state of the art facility using the latest in battery manufacturing equipment. Our quality control is better than it has ever been and we strive to produce the best quality battery possible. A quick google search on anything these days will yield complaints. However, when you actually research and investigate you will find there is a very small percentage of our batteries that actually fail. There is a huge difference between a failed battery and a deeply-discharged battery that the owner doesn't know how to properly recharge. I would like to hear more about the two batteries you have on the shelf. How old are they,? How have you attempted to charge them? Do they loose charge simply sitting on the shelf? I may be able to help you get them back in service. If not, they both should still be covered under warranty.
Thanks,
Bill Howell
eCare Manger, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:47 AM
dr.dirty
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Optima Bill
Hey guys,
I thought I would drop in for a couple comments.
First, YellowTops are dual purpose, starting & deep-cycling batteries. So, they recharge like a RedTop, work fine as a OEM replacement, plus give you that added power for aftermarket stereos, etc. They are the best of both worlds when it comes to batteries, so feel free to use those as replacement options too, especially if you have a big stereo or other aftermarket items.
I have to disagree with Dr. Dirty. While our batteries are manufactured in Monterrey, it is at a brand new, state of the art facility using the latest in battery manufacturing equipment. Our quality control is better than it has ever been and we strive to produce the best quality battery possible. A quick google search on anything these days will yield complaints. However, when you actually research and investigate you will find there is a very small percentage of our batteries that actually fail. There is a huge difference between a failed battery and a deeply-discharged battery that the owner doesn't know how to properly recharge. I would like to hear more about the two batteries you have on the shelf. How old are they,? How have you attempted to charge them? Do they loose charge simply sitting on the shelf? I may be able to help you get them back in service. If not, they both should still be covered under warranty.
Thanks,

Bill Howell
eCare Manger, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

Well maybe im getting fake batteries from my local auto zone because all three of mine say made in mexico

I have followed optimas charging recommendations. 6-10 hours at 10 amps and they will loose a charge sitting on the shlef in a weeks time. The red top has been replaced 3 times now by auto zone, replacement isnt the issue on my case, spending a good chunk on a battery that i have to replace every six months is the issue. I choose to discontinue use of optimas because when one dies on you in the middle of death valley you just up the river warranty or not...

Last edited by dr.dirty; 04-25-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Calgt08
1st Gear Member

Optima= over hyped and over priced. What is it you want a battery to do? Start your car, a Interstate battery will do that for 5-6 years no problem for half the price.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Optima Bill

Dr. Dirty,
Optima batteries are made in Mexico, I have not argued that point at all, even linked a video of our Monterrey, Mexico plant that we built that is state of the art to keep up with the demand both here and globally. I can almost guarantee that your optima is not the only part on our car(s) produced outside the states.
If your original battery was purchased less than three years ago, then it is still under warranty. In your picture, I could not see the date that one was produced. If a six month old battery is discharging on the shelf, there is something wrong, and I would like to help you figure out what that is. I am here to try and help you, not argue with you. Do you remember the voltage of the battery after you fully-charged it and left it on the shelf and what the voltage was a few weeks later when it was discharged? Feel free to discuss your issue here or by pm or I will be happy to give you my phone number.

Thanks,
Bill Howell
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

Quick Reply: Got an optima red top (pics)