Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Adding extra HX, reservoir and 3 fans - No effect so far on IAT at 70 ambient temps

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 12:34 AM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Default Adding extra HX, reservoir and 3 fans - No effect so far on IAT at 70 ambient temps

So I have heard so much about adding fans to the Afco or equivilent heat exchanger. I added a separate IAT sensor in the front driver side plug on the Kenne Bell lower intake.

I setup 3 fans to pull through the 2 heat exchangers.

I put in the Moroso Reservoir for the GT500. Added another HX. I added just over a gallon to the system by doing this.

Also a new Johnson CM20 pump.

The flow is great. Moves fluid at a good pace to cool.

System is purged.

The air temps after driving for 15 minutes then sitting at idle are exactly the same with the fans on for another 15 minutes.

Same temperatures when driving around town.

Temps go to 148 and stay pretty constant.

I have a Roush front bumper with plenty of directed air.

Really disappointed. I figured I would see a 20 degree difference.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:48 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

What's your ambient air temp at during these tests?
Old 05-27-2012, 02:38 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
What's your ambient air temp at during these tests?
70 degrees... It may show it's value when it hits 80 degrees or higher though.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Ouch man. Sorry to hear that. I'm about to do a battery relocation and add a larger intercooler reservoir in the stock battery location. I hope I get results. Will let you know. Might be a couple of months before I get the project off of the back burner...
Old 05-27-2012, 04:42 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hollywub
70 degrees... It may show it's value when it hits 80 degrees or higher though.
I'm no expert in supercharger cooling, but I've built some really big thermal management systems in my time. It sounds to me like you've got enough cooling on there to keep the temperatures down. The fact that you're not seeing lower readings suggests to me that your instruments are not working properly.

A few thoughts:

- Is it possible that the sensor you're reading is somehow picking up the temperature of the manifold casting (which would be around 150 degrees or so) and not the air inside it?

- Have you checked the temperature of the coolant in the HX system? Just stick a thermometer in it. If it's running cool like it should be then I'll bet your intake is a lot cooler than that sensor is telling you.

- Does your ECU have an IAT sensor and if so, what does the ECU IAT read?

- Are you sure the sensor you added is after the internal heat exchanger? If it was on the output of the blower directly before the HX, all the cooling in the world won't change the reading.

Keep us posted...

Last edited by JAJ; 05-27-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:16 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

The IAT on the SCT scanner and the gauge stays within 1 degree of each other.

The sensors are in the front driver side port in the intake manifold.

Its hard to say at what point the reading is without taking apart the blower and looking at the ports. I believe the sensor is in the spot Kenne Bell recommends.

It may be post charge and that is why the IAT seems so high.

I do not see any other ports to use though.

The strange thing is the fluid is cool after driving for 30 minutes today.

The IAT was 158 off of both sensors, but the fluid felt about 80 degrees in the tank. I can put an infrared reader on it, but it was no more than that.

I can pull a piece of foam into the grill from 6 inches away with the fans on, so they are definiately pulling hard.

Originally Posted by JAJ
I'm no expert in supercharger cooling, but I've built some really big thermal management systems in my time. It sounds to me like you've got enough cooling on there to keep the temperatures down. The fact that you're not seeing lower readings suggests to me that your instruments are not working properly.

A few thoughts:

- Is it possible that the sensor you're reading is somehow picking up the temperature of the manifold casting (which would be around 150 degrees or so) and not the air inside it?

- Have you checked the temperature of the coolant in the HX system? Just stick a thermometer in it. If it's running cool like it should be then I'll bet your intake is a lot cooler than that sensor is telling you.

- Does your ECU have an IAT sensor and if so, what does the ECU IAT read?

- Are you sure the sensor you added is after the internal heat exchanger? If it was on the output of the blower directly before the HX, all the cooling in the world won't change the reading.

Keep us posted...
Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Ouch man. Sorry to hear that. I'm about to do a battery relocation and add a larger intercooler reservoir in the stock battery location. I hope I get results. Will let you know. Might be a couple of months before I get the project off of the back burner...
I need to do more research on the correct location of the IAT sensor on a Kenne Bell 2.6LC

The fluid is cool/warm to the touch in the reservoir after 30 minutes of driving.

I was going to do the battery relocation, but I have the Shaker 1000 and wanted to keep some space in the trunk.

The moroso tank and extra HX gave me a good increase in fluid.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:19 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

UHM?
So you are worried because the air temp in front of the blower hasn't changed even though you added extra intercooler capacity which cools the air after it exits the supercharger?

Of course the air at the intake of the blower isn't going to change, you're not cooling that, you're cooling the hot compressed air coming out of the blower.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:39 AM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
UHM?
So you are worried because the air temp in front of the blower hasn't changed even though you added extra intercooler capacity which cools the air after it exits the supercharger?

Of course the air at the intake of the blower isn't going to change, you're not cooling that, you're cooling the hot compressed air coming out of the blower.
Not at all. After looking at this picture Riptide posted in this sticky, I am getting post HX readings...

So that is why I am concerned that I have no change in the IAT's with the fans on or off...

Maybe the KB just runs this hot.

It has been suggested I have a flow issue, but the liquid is moving well in the reservoir.

This is where the KB puts the IAT sensor. Cylinder 5.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by hollywub; 05-28-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:19 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Okay, from the original post, it read the other way.
Only thing I can say it that at idle you shouldn't be in boost and the intercoolers shouldn't have much of an affect on IAT.
Do you have any measurements of ambient air? Could it be that your IATs stay lower when in boost?

Quick Reply: Adding extra HX, reservoir and 3 fans - No effect so far on IAT at 70 ambient temps