Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Default Supercharger Questions

If all goes as planned, it looks like I'll be all set to put a supercharger on my 07 GT at the end of the summer, as well as retire it from daily driver duty and pickup a gas sipper. I have the mods listed below and 118k on the odometer. I'm looking to make 400-425 and stay well on the safe side of things. I want either the Roush or Saleen 475 kit from Brenspeed. They are pretty similar in price. Any compelling reason to go with 1 or the other? I like the Roush personally as the sound is amazing, but I've never heard either 1 in person. Is the Saleen pretty loud? I really want to hear the whine. I dont race, street or strip. This is going to become a garage queen. Will I really need to worry about a clutch anytime soon with this thing seeing light weekend duty? Guages: Whats the REAL story. If you have them can you honestly say they have been beneficial besides peace of mind or looks? I need to know well ahead of time what I really need and what I can skip.

Thanks all.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I can't tell you which blower to buy. They're both gonna put you where you want to be.

Clutch: If you can stay off the throttle with 400+hp on tap, then skip it. My money says you can't resist the temptation to push it, so replace it.

Gauges: The only one that is seriously important IMO is a wideband. The rest are helpful if you're going to be racing and you want instant feedback, but not necessary. A good wideband will warn you in time to save your motor if you start to go lean.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:41 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

A wideband is a must IMO. When going FI its not the time to cheap out. Plan ahead and realize its gonna cost more than you think. LOL

I love my setup. I drive it daily and race the sh*t out of it one weekend a month. I dont abuse it but I do enjoy it thats for sure.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:54 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Oil catch can and what the others said
Old 06-04-2012, 06:53 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Unless you plan to hit the track with some drag radials, the stock clutch should be fine at those power levels. Mine lasted 3 seasons and only slipped/smoked after a couple hard track launches with DRs.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

So it sounds like a wideband, catch can, and maybe set aside some clutch money for the future.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:33 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Oil catch can on both side (driver, passenger)
Old 06-04-2012, 04:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

A boost/vacuum gauge is a great diagnostic tool. i'd put a vacuum gauge on a stock motor, it's like the heart beat of your motor.

118k miles on the stock clutch? Yeah, it's going to need replacing soon after the blower.

You don't need a wideband sensor, but it would be nice to have. It's not going to save you during WOT, if it goes real lean, real fast for some reason, you won't have time to react. Plus you can't watch the thing anyway.

This catch can on the passenger side is crazy! It must have been started by the catch can manufacturers. Never have I found oil in the passenger side line that runs to my intake tube. I think if you have oil in that line, then you have some big problems with blowby.

Last edited by moosestang; 06-04-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:56 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:52 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
A boost/vacuum gauge is a great diagnostic tool. i'd put a vacuum gauge on a stock motor, it's like the heart beat of your motor.

118k miles on the stock clutch? Yeah, it's going to need replacing soon after the blower.

You don't need a wideband sensor, but it would be nice to have. It's not going to save you during WOT, if it goes real lean, real fast for some reason, you won't have time to react. Plus you can't watch the thing anyway.

This catch can on the passenger side is crazy! It must have been started by the catch can manufacturers. Never have I found oil in the passenger side line that runs to my intake tube. I think if you have oil in that line, then you have some big problems with blowby.
I have had some and others report blowby as well. It's cheap to do and takes no time at all

Quick Reply: Supercharger Questions