Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is this Mustang worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Also, the big issue I see is the dealership claims:
"In truth, this Mustand produces about 20 more HP than the Boss."
How could they possibly claim that? I didn't see mention of many go fast parts on there.. and why add "in truth"? Did they just get done lying?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is more difference with the engine than just:

The Boss from factory has a modified intake manifold and different turning
Doesn't the BOSS motor come with forged internals? Does this car come with the stock parts, e.g. intake, and the tuner to return to stock in case you decide you want to?

I think this is a really nice car, but if I were dealing with these people, I would make a list of what is wrong with what they are telling you, plus the TSB that Ford released detailing the steps to determine if an aftermarket tune was loaded on a car and the process to void a person's powertrain warranty, the fact that the BOSS intake requires an aftermarket tune, and then use those points to justify a reduction in price.

Good luck,
Don

Last edited by BigDinTexas; 06-29-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:47 AM
drf
1st Gear Member

Here's the window sticker for the original car ..... hope this works ..... VIN 1ZVBP8CF2B5143652 from ad .....

http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webvie...BP8CF2B5143652
Old 06-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Also, the big issue I see is the dealership claims:

How could they possibly claim that? I didn't see mention of many go fast parts on there.. and why add "in truth"? Did they just get done lying?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is more difference with the engine than just:

Doesn't the BOSS motor come with forged internals? Does this car come with the stock parts, e.g. intake, and the tuner to return to stock in case you decide you want to?

I think this is a really nice car, but if I were dealing with these people, I would make a list of what is wrong with what they are telling you, plus the TSB that Ford released detailing the steps to determine if an aftermarket tune was loaded on a car and the process to void a person's powertrain warranty, the fact that the BOSS intake requires an aftermarket tune, and then use those points to justify a reduction in price.

Good luck,
Don
I believe the dealer. I bet this car does make 20 more HP than a boss. Its a standard GT with boss intake, tune, CAI, and potentially some exhaust work (Magna Flow Performance Exhaust), could just be AB's though.

However, I am CERTAIN, that this is just a 5.0 with boss intake and NOT a true BOSS engine. Positive!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:56 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
I believe the dealer. I bet this car does make 20 more HP than a boss. Its a standard GT with boss intake, tune, CAI, and potentially some exhaust work (Magna Flow Performance Exhaust), could just be AB's though.

However, I am CERTAIN, that this is just a 5.0 with boss intake and NOT a true BOSS engine. Positive!
I see what you're saying... The way I figured the HP, I considered a 12% drivetrain loss, the rated hp of the BOSS (444 hp) and compared that to the 412 of a stock GT... In order for this car to have 20 hp more than a BOSS it would have to be rated at 464 at the crank. Calculating for the drivetrain loss, that puts it at 408hp at the rear wheels... With the CAI/Tune/Intake, it would likely be close to that...

One way to see prove to the seller this is not a TRUE Boss mill is to check if there is an oil cooler... If the previous owner was going for the appearance of a BOSS, then they may not have added the oil cooler too.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 AM
jpmotorsport

Haha. Typical hyperbole by an overactive car salesman in this tough market.

Bottom line is, the ad looks legit - I'd deal with the place as it looks reputable.

But it is clear hyperbole and upsell tactics. I'd trust that car is in 'good' running shape however I'd find out how much it really is worth and level with the guy if I wanted the car that bad. Wanna own it but you gotta own it on your own terms.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

The car looks damn nice and is probably worth close to that. I just don't like that the dealer is "exaggerating" on the engine.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 06-29-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:14 AM
ninefooter
1st Gear Member

That is really a nice car though.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:53 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
The car looks damn nice and is probably worth close to that. I just don't like that the dealer is "exaggerating" on the engine.
If exaggerating HP was an issue, we'd never buy any performance parts. Check out AM's claims of HP increases for pretty much anything.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

I cannot see the pictures from my current location but one thing i have yet to see anybody mention (not sure if there are pics of it). Doesn't the boss have a welded nameplate on the side of the motor on the valve covers depicting the build number? Doesn't it also come with a certificate of authenticity?

Don't flame if they are in the pictures! I know i still have my SVT Cobra's window sticker as well as the certificate. From just reading everyone's thoughts.... Dunno sounds iffy
Old 06-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Oh shoot and doesn't the boss have suspension and all sorts of other nifty features? Also, the reason for the price increase has to be the collect-ability i would think.

Quick Reply: Is this Mustang worth it?