Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI /tune required

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:12 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

Default CAI /tune required

If you buy a CAI that requires a tune, and then buy a tuner separate versus buying one of those package deals, can you still tune for the CAI yourself? Or do you have to have a custom tune preloaded for your specific CAI?

2010 3V BTW.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Fish05
1st Gear Member

most of the hand held tuners have can tunes that you can use. They will not maximize the power that you can get. Email tunes would be better and dyno tune would be the best. Although I would not pay to have a dyno tune if the CAI is the only mod.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:08 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

OP - I think most of the tuners on this site allow you to contact the manuf. and have tunes updated.

Fish05 - How is the M90 treating you? Any heat issues? what boost you pulling with that pulley? (Not trying to hijack... just curious)
Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Fish05
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dlazrael
OP - I think most of the tuners on this site allow you to contact the manuf. and have tunes updated.

Fish05 - How is the M90 treating you? Any heat issues? what boost you pulling with that pulley? (Not trying to hijack... just curious)
I have been very happy with the M90. Like any roots or twin screw it does heat soak. 12.06 in the 1/4 when cold and 12.2 when it is heated up. I think using a meth kit will help imrpove the cooler IATs. If you never will want to build a car for over 500hp then I suggest this kit for the price.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Buy a custom tune from brenspeed.com. I'm not sure what you mean by tune yourself.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Buy a custom tune from brenspeed.com. I'm not sure what you mean by tune yourself.
Canned tune. When I had my 04, and first got an SCT, I was able to just load a generic 93 octane tune. I want to know if this generic tune will work for a CAI that "requires" a tune, as on my 04 CAI didn't "require" a tune.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

Now that I think about it, it did need a tune, WTF was I thinking...
Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You don't want a generic tune. There is more in a custom tune than just tuning for the CAI.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:01 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lilcrate
If you buy a CAI that requires a tune, and then buy a tuner separate versus buying one of those package deals, can you still tune for the CAI yourself? Or do you have to have a custom tune preloaded for your specific CAI?

2010 3V BTW.
Whatever you decide, just let me know if I can get you a custom Steeda tune for it. We've been tuning for quite a while now.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:31 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lilcrate

2010 3V BTW.

It's a good idea to rely on a shop that has experience tuning cars like yours.

When you buy an SCT Tuner from UPR, you can specify current and future mods and we'll load the correct tunes for your application. Plus, we offer free tunes for life, so if you buy a mod which isn't accounted for in the pre-loaded tunes, we'll send you an appropriate tune.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-s...or-xcal-3.html

Quick Reply: CAI /tune required