Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What a Sound!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:39 PM
357rod100
1st Gear Member

Default What a Sound!!!

So I'm cruising last weekend here in Dallas with my top down enjoying the saturday nite air. I roll up on a black mustang who obviously slowed down and waited for me to catch up. Me not thinking, I chuck up the piece sign as in nice ride man, he revs a few times.... O I get it you wanna roll, cool I aint scared! knowing I aint got nothing under the hood but a C&L CAI, running 93 octane Bama tune along with SLP loudmouths giving me a nice little rumble but no real power, but so what i'm game. We both stomp the gas, WAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! I AINT NEVER HEARD NOTHING LIKE THE 10,000 LIONS ROARING COMING FROM THIS DUDES CAR! He jumps out in front, but i'm right on his butt. Obviously he's not supercharged or I woulda been watching his tail lights disappear in the distance. every time we passed an underpass his sound was amplified, I thought the friggin bridge was coming down. I was smiling as I took the exit ramp and let him roar on, what makes a mustang sound like that, Headers, Cams, headers and cams? I gotta have that sound, and if I could add a few horses thats icing. what do I need? I have stock headers and midpipe.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:49 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Long tube headers.. h pipe (or x) off road mufflers and eliminate your cats. At least that's what I did. I LOVE going under bridges.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:45 PM
357rod100
1st Gear Member

I'm think I'm gonna go for the headers, dont really wanna deal with having no cats and emissions testing here in Texas. would headers and cams be too much?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

cams work a whole lot better with LT's,
so LT's with cams is a great idea!
but to get a nice roar on WOT you dont really need cams, but if you got the money go for the cams too.
plus if you intend on keeping the LM's, o/r midpipe is gonna sound like a truck.
catted midpipe will sound better with the LM's.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

snag some high performance cats. they perform better and would still pass emissions I believe. cams would sound pretty mean, no doubt. I run the stock ones and my car is pretty loud. I try to coast thru my neighborhood at night and early mornings. Going to the track on Thursday. I'll see if I get lucky and run solo, I'll get you a video of the sound.

onederful - ok I will ask and look stupid, im ok with it.. what does LM stand for.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:57 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

not such a stupid question. lol.
LM = SLP LoudMouth axle backs.

i have MBRP muffler deletes, LT's, and o/r x pipe. and it did sound like a garbage truck.
I added some M80's before the rear end and it toned it down just enough so its still loud, but not truck sounding.

xkape: do you have a vid of your exhaust? wondering how the prochamber sounds with the roush offroad.

Last edited by onederful100; 07-09-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:19 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

nope. hoping to get one on Thursday at the track. At the very least, there will be a few MF'ers there who can tape it afterwards if I can't get lucky with a solo run.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:35 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xkape
nope. hoping to get one on Thursday at the track. At the very least, there will be a few MF'ers there who can tape it afterwards if I can't get lucky with a solo run.
cool. post up a vid if you can.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:33 PM
08caliGT
1st Gear Member

I've got frpp cams, o/r h, stingers and my friends love following me places. They say she absolutely roars. Going under bridges is awesome.. going to NC in a few days... that bay tunnel/bridge.. people are gonna be like wth!!! I can't wait to grab some headers and switch over to an x pipe. I think I'm pretty loud but again the stingers are a deep tone.. heard a straight piped shelby and I actually jumped.. sounded like a gun shot to the ear.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:59 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 357rod100
So I'm cruising last weekend here in Dallas with my top down enjoying the saturday nite air. I roll up on a black mustang who obviously slowed down and waited for me to catch up. Me not thinking, I chuck up the piece sign as in nice ride man, he revs a few times.... O I get it you wanna roll, cool I aint scared! knowing I aint got nothing under the hood but a C&L CAI, running 93 octane Bama tune along with SLP loudmouths giving me a nice little rumble but no real power, but so what i'm game. We both stomp the gas, WAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! I AINT NEVER HEARD NOTHING LIKE THE 10,000 LIONS ROARING COMING FROM THIS DUDES CAR! He jumps out in front, but i'm right on his butt. Obviously he's not supercharged or I woulda been watching his tail lights disappear in the distance. every time we passed an underpass his sound was amplified, I thought the friggin bridge was coming down. I was smiling as I took the exit ramp and let him roar on, what makes a mustang sound like that, Headers, Cams, headers and cams? I gotta have that sound, and if I could add a few horses thats icing. what do I need? I have stock headers and midpipe.
Haha awesome story! Aftermarket mid-pipes with or without headers can give you this sound. Just like someone mentioned, if you add a set of cams you're really gonna love the tone!

FRPP Hot Rod Cams sound great and have killer drive-ability behaviors compared to other cams. We've tuned tons of these and have had nothing, but awesome results and satisfied customers.

I found this random video on YouTube with a 3v GT equipped with FRPP Hot Rod cams, Long-Tubes and Catted Xpipe (I know you wanted to keep the cats), and a cat-back. You can definitely search for better videos on Youtube to give you a better idea with Long Tubes as well.

Let me know if there's any questions I can answer, I'm happy to help!

Shane

Quick Reply: What a Sound!!!