Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Roush Axle-Back Exhaust Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:01 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

I had them on my 11 and liked them, but they are louder than most mufflers and do have drone. I currently have magnaflow comp catback which is much softer and not as much drone. I prefer the roush over my current setup. The roush muffler was louder than my "straight through" design magnaflow muffler which also deleted the OE resonator. No, I did not change the mufflers I changed cars and got a steal on the catback to replace the OE muffler on my 12.

As far as X pipe... If you go O/R expect a lot of drone and no ability to listen to your radio. Possible warranty issues and a tuner will be needed if you do not want the CEL on all the time. Axlebacks will not affect your ability to swap mid-pipes.

Lastly -

$300 is too much for a used muffler IMO. I would offer $200 OR <50% of retail is a good ending number.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:11 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

The Roush Extremes have no drone.. if you want Roush and are concerned with drone. They are louder than the off roads though.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by xkape
The Roush Extremes have no drone.. if you want Roush and are concerned with drone. They are louder than the off roads though.
"Extremes" is that the same as the regular Roush axle backs? I didn't see it on AmericanMuscle.com
Old 08-01-2012, 10:44 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Heres a link.. with sound clips

http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2005-2009.html

EDIT: ARGH! I just noticed you had an 11. I'm an idiot. I know nothing of your car. Ignore me.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:42 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

I have the Roush and love them, no drone, quiet when you want them to be and they scream under WOT.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Where the hell is the OP

several responses and no response
Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
Where the hell is the OP

several responses and no response

OP = Original Poster? I'm right here I just posted earlier today.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:50 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Minion
I got a chance to buy this slightly used system. My concern is...there must be a reason they are taking it off. Maybe they are just installing a full system etc? I don't know....I don't want to be in the same boat in a few weeks.

I had a couple questions/observations...
1. American Muscle has this and its got a LOT of good reviews
2. They are only asking $300 (retails for $469) so seems like a good deal
3. Should I jump on it? or go another way? Im mostly looking for that aggressive sound, but not annoying. I like the radio and having the top down etc. I don't think this will give me anymore HP or Torque but that would be a plus if it
4. lastly, do I limit myself from adding X-pipes in the future? I hear that is a HP gain by doing that and I might go that way someday. I JUST started researching exhausts today because of this deal...I really don't know much about it other than its on the to-do list.

Thanks! Any and all opinions are welcome!

FYI..I got a 2011 GT manual
Minion,

Roush Axle-backs have a great sound with an all stock exhaust, these fly off our shelves in the warehouse. Although, if you're interested in a mid-pipe for the future and don't want to be "too loud", you may want to look for a deeper more quiet muffler for the meantime. An aftermarket mid-pipe will really make your Mustang scream, even with stock GT500 mufflers, let alone the Roush.

It's up to you what sound you're looking for and if you're even going install a mid-pipe in the future. Just wanted to give you a heads up before you purchased anything. Let me know if I can help you with anything else!

Shane
Old 08-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

What is the difference between Roush Extremes and non-Extremes? It would suck if someone was told that there is no drone, dropped some Benjamins on a set and they ended up droning after all.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:55 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Could not tell you personally. I have off-roads. Everywhere I look though, all people say is no drone. Personally, with my setup, there really isn't any drone except around 3k RPMs if I just sort of lightly keep pressure on the pedal and make it stay at the range.

I will probably be buying some off roads though but, not because of the drone, because extremes are louder and, I haven't pised anyone off with my current setup so I gotta keep on trying.

Quick Reply: Roush Axle-Back Exhaust Opinions please