Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Headlights/Fogs Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:18 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs down Headlights/Fogs Not Working

This is for a 2008 GT.

I installed HIDs, the kit didn't work properly, the quality was garbage, and the light scatter was awful. I finally decided to add the stock headlights back on.

I started with the fog lights, both worked fine. I then removed the HID harness for the two headlights, and installed the two halogen headlights. The headlights never worked, and now the fog lights also do not work. The two front parking lights do work, they weren't touched, and it may not help to diagnose the problem, but there it is.

I imagine that somehow it isn't getting power, and it only happened after the HID harness was removed. Does anyone know what would cause both the headlights and fog lights not to turn on? I checked every fuse in the fuse box in the engine bay, and I had a blown high beam fuse, and swapped it with the fog light fuse, and it still didn't work. Although, I don't have a spare fuse laying around to swap the fog light out too.

Are there any specific fuses I should check that are known to deal with the headlights? The manual doesn't mention any headlight specific fuses, and I swapped a couple relays in the fuse box to see if one had gone bad, and it didn't help.

I believe it is a fuse, but I can't seem to find it. I drive at night every day, I need this fixed as soon as possible, it's so frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:50 AM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

TTTTR
Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Fogs(BEC fuse 58):
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile=Fog%20Lamps.pdf

Headlamps(BEC fuse 50, 67, 59, 63):
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...0Autolamps.pdf
Old 08-15-2012, 11:42 AM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

I reinstalled the HIDs because I needed lights. And what I realized is that fuse #50 keeps popping. Now, I don't know if it was because of the HIDs but it was popped yesterday too. Now the HIDs only work when opening my car doors and not with the control inside of the car. What would cause it to pop? A short somewhere?
Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by soon2bu
Now the HIDs only work when opening my car doors and not with the control inside of the car. What would cause it to pop? A short somewhere?
Possible, yes. Just use a DMM(digital multi-meter) to find out. Is this a clean re-do? As in you didn't touch the stock headlamp fittings? Sounds like you wired something wrong.

Fuse 50 is only for high-beams. Fog lights will NOT work while you have high-beams enabled btw. Where you to have pulled back on the turn-signal lever last night, you likely would have found your stock headlights worked, as did fogs, but the high-beams did not, as the fuse was blown.

Last edited by wayne613; 08-15-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:12 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

OK so I concluded what the main issue is. But the answer is still unknown. I had a couple blown fuses when fussing with the system yesterday and several months back that I was unaware of at the time, so that caused some confusion.

Scenario #1:
I have the halogen fogs in, and HID headlamps. Fogs, low/hi beams all work.

Scenario #2:
I have the halogen fogs in, and now the halogen headlight bulbs in. The fogs work, but the headlamp low/hi beam both don't work.

How can I test to see if the bulbs (odd for it to be both of them, all 4 were handled with the same care) are the culprit? Otherwise, could that still be a short specific to both headlamps? Seems odd to me.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:16 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

OK so I concluded what the main issue is. But the answer is still unknown. I had a couple blown fuses when fussing with the system yesterday and several months back that I was unaware of at the time, so that caused some confusion.

Scenario #1:
I have the halogen fogs in, and HID headlamps. Fogs, low/hi beams all work.

Scenario #2:
I have the halogen fogs in, and now the halogen headlight bulbs in. The fogs work, but the headlamp low/hi beam both don't work.

How can I test to see if the bulbs (odd for it to be both of them, all 4 were handled with the same care) are the culprit? Otherwise, could that still be a short specific to both headlamps? Seems odd to me.
Instead of fiddling with that, why not check for voltage on the powering wire shown in the diagram(s) first? Should be able to easily put a test probe on the small bit of exposed blade connector on the housing for the headlight.

Low beams:
Left(drivers) = White wire going into that housing.
Right(passengers) = Light Green with white stripe wire

High beams:
Left = Violet with a yellow stripe wire
Right = Yellow with a white stripe wire

The HID's if they're anything like I've normally seen are not getting main their ballast actual on/off powering from those lines but directly from the battery, just switching a separate relay trigger, which needs less than 250mA and is not using the connector's grounds either, only it's own separate ones.

Check the wire contact washer secured with a M8 machine bolt I believe on G100 for a good ground. Just under the front of the hood when you lift it up on the passenger side. Should be 2 of them next to each other, G100 is the one nearer to the center of the car with 2 washers on it, the 2 thicker wires going to the single washer are the headlight harness grounds.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...on%20Views.pdf (page 1, and this one will take a long while to load)

Pull it, sand the crap out of both washers, the bottom of the bolt that makes contact with the washers, and the contact points on the car itself. Coat afterwards with dielectric grease. Done.

Last edited by wayne613; 08-15-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:45 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

I need to find my voltage meter. Hopefully I can test it by tonight. As for testing it, hopefully I can find an exposed blade connector, once I do that, I am making contact with both the left and right at the same time? Or would it read simply by touching one connector with one probe?

That is correct regarding my HIDs. They are powered by the main fuse box feed in the engine bay, which is where it gets the power from, and that line has it's own fuse, and both left and right headlamps get their own ground.

I will check that ground. That is the driver side ground, located inside the engine bay, between the headlight housing and fender correct? I did notice a nice amount of rust. I will remove that nut and clean some rust if I can.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:49 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

I will check that ground. That is the driver side ground, located inside the engine bay, between the headlight housing and fender correct? I did notice a nice amount of rust. I will remove that nut and clean some rust if I can.
Edited above post, should get better clarification now. Refresh.

As for testing to see if they're actually getting 12v power. You want only 1 probe, the red one, touching the wire contact points I gave before, the black on a solid ground point on the vehicle. Make sure you set DC for the proper voltage range on the meter first.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:57 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Edited above post, should get better clarification now. Refresh.

As for testing to see if they're actually getting 12v power. You want only 1 probe, the red one, touching the wire contact points I gave before, the black on a solid ground point on the vehicle. Make sure you set DC for the proper voltage range on the meter first.
I will give all of that a check. Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Quick Reply: Headlights/Fogs Not Working