Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Struts and Shocks for '06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Wendlandt

Default Struts and Shocks for '06 GT

I am making this last attempt at getting any input as to what people have found to be good struts and shocks for an '06 GT. I have not done ANY mods to the suspension, height, etc. There is 72k miles on it now and am experiencing tire wear on the front (cupping on the inside). I have ordered the camber bolt replacement for the front and also the lower control arm brace. I have the strut tower upper brace already. I don't race this car nor abuse it much, it's my daily driver for 3 seasons a year and I keep it very nice. Before I put new wheels and tires on it I want to be assured the alignment is right and will stay in place. I don't want to spend any more money than necessary. Thanks in advance for any advice from anyone!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:19 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I just ordered Strange adjustable struts and shocks but I race my car every month. AM is having a great sale on tokico D specs. Lots of people running these.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/tokico...xq2jk45l82zl4b
Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I put Koni STR.T struts & shocks on my '06 GT 'vert. Very pleased with them.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Jarrod@latemodel
Former Sponsor

Are you wanting adjustable or non-adjustable?
Old 08-21-2012, 04:36 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I just bought the Tokico adjustable D-Specs from AM and got them for 485$ but didn't include springs. Looking to get the Ford Psprings anyways.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:19 AM
Wendlandt

Jarrod - I am interested in non-adjustable. It is my daily driver and is not used for any competition. I want them to be as good, preferably better than original equipment.
I can live with a somewhat stiffer ride, but not harsh...my goal is alignment stability
and longevity. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:11 AM
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

Adjustable doesn't mean performance. I lowered mine with Steeda Sport Springs and put the Tokico D spec adjustable shocks and struts on. I rides better lowered with 20" Wheels than it did at stock height with 20" Wheels. That's the nice thing about adjustable...you can make it ride how you want.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:10 AM
Jarrod@latemodel
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wendlandt
Jarrod - I am interested in non-adjustable. It is my daily driver and is not used for any competition. I want them to be as good, preferably better than original equipment.
I can live with a somewhat stiffer ride, but not harsh...my goal is alignment stability
and longevity. Thanks.
I have ran these Ford Racing Shock And Strut Kit on 2 different cars. First, they were on my 06, and now they are on my 13'. I have had zero problems with them. I put a little over 100k on the 06 with this kit.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:04 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wendlandt
I am interested in non-adjustable. It is my daily driver and is not used for any competition. I want them to be as good, preferably better than original equipment.
and longevity. Thanks.
It sounds like you just need a set of Koni STR.Ts. I kept my OEM springs and added the STR.Ts about a year ago and love them. They are far superior to the OEM shocks and struts. I did notice that the ride firmed up a bit, but it isn't harsh in any way as I still have the full travel of the stock springs. Handling with the new Koni's improved 1000% - night and day - over the crappy OEM shocks/struts.

I would suggest investing in Steeda's HD Strut Mounts when you upgrade though. It may be overkill for a daily driver, but you won't have to worry about getting the pops from the front suspension or uneven wear if you get the alignment done at a reputable shop.

HTH
Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

If you want drag-oriented shocks/struts that can be civil on the street, I recommend Strange Engineeing single adjustables. I also ran QA1s at one time, but they were noisy in the rear.

Quick Reply: Struts and Shocks for '06 GT