Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

19's to 18's... anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Gray GT

Default 19's to 18's... anyone done this?

First off, I'm putting this in "General Discussion" as it isn't all about appearance, its about the "ride" as well,... so I am still figuring out this forum, if it is in the wrong place,... sorry.

Recently bought a "new to me" 2010 Gray GT. It has factory 19" rims with Stock Pirelli tires that have maybe,... at best.... 40% wear left. I had previously test driven a 2010 GT that had 18" rims, and the ride seemed smoother, and maybe a little less road noise. Maybe I'm just showing my age here, but I never have been a big fan of the "low profile" tires,.... tread just seems lacking to me, but I also came from a truck and other 4 wheel drive vehicles that had larger tires, so maybe I'm still adjusting. AT ANY RATE,.... I was looking at AM site last night, thinking that when the time comes for tires, i may get some 18" rims with the tires. I realize that most people probably go the other direction, but....

This is a daily driver for me, and I'm just not in a position to do the "summer wheel"/"winter wheel" thing,.. what I get will have to be on there a while.

I have done numerous searches looking for anyone else who has done something similiar an haven't come across any,.. but as you know, there are a kazillion wheel/ tire threads out there,.... hope this isn't a repeat!

By the way,.. I have only been a memeber for a day now, but been looking for quite a while,... have really enjoyed the site and posts and pics of others rides!

Thanks,..... Gray
Old 08-30-2012, 08:45 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!

You can go to 18" wheels no problem, but realize that you will need to maintain your factory tire diameter of 27.7" to maintain the tire/wheel well gap you have currently. I see a lot of 18" wheel/tire packages form vendors that use 255/45/18 fronts (27" diameter) with 275/40/18 rears (26.7" diameter). This will significantly increase your tire/wheel well gap, especially in the rear (an entire half inch - which is a lot IMO)! Even a 285/40/18 tire is 3/4th of an inch shorter than what you have now...

Just do your homework before buying as tires usually last a while...

Last edited by jdmcbride; 08-30-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:00 AM
nfordhk
1st Gear Member

You'll need to lower the car, or get obnoxiously big tires at stock ride height.

I'm on 18/245/ (I think 45, can't remember anymore)

Last edited by nfordhk; 08-30-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:56 PM
George_ORH
1st Gear Member

Have you considered picking up a set of 18 stockers (with tires and sensors) and trying them out? My car came with 19's and I decided that I was looking one day on "craigs" and found another set of 19's a few years newer and almost zero miles on the tires. The TPMS's are still in place so all I had to do was jack it up and change them out...

I am currently looking at aftermarket rims, But still think I want to stay with 19's. I have virtually ZERO road noise in my car and mine is a 2010 as well.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:09 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I went from 17" stock wheels to 19" stock mustang wheels, but didn't notice much difference in ride quality. Perhaps because it is the same tire brand. Will probably switch back to 17s or 18s in the future because these 245/50/19s are pretty heavy.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Gray GT

I really appreciate all the feedback. I really like my stock 19"rims,.... I'm gonna add pictures as soon as I figure out how ...haha,..... but they are the ones that are a wide spoke with the painted gray in the recessed areas,.. if that makes any sense.
I'm starting to think that perhaps its just the tires. Will look into the joy of buying new ones and just keep the rim I have.
Other mods have started,.... so far I've tinted the windows, and ordered a axle back exhaust from AM. Other than that,.. not planning on too much.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:52 AM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

No mean to get out of subject but wow Nfordhk, your setup look amazing, could you lets me know your setup? Rims tire n suspension? Sick sick
Old 08-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You'll see and feel little difference. I currently have 18's and wish I had 16 or 17" wheels, solely for the look of the additional sidewall. My wife's 17" OE Bullitts have a more aggressive look due to the extra sidewall than my 18" GT500 takeoffs.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:34 AM
George_ORH
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking that some of you guys are right in saying that it is probably just tires. I bet if you put on a nice set of michelin tires that things would be smooth and quiet. I had a foxbody long ago and it was "so so". When I did a simple tire change, Everything seemed to be better. I had alot of people ask me how I made it so quiet on the inside, What my suspension was due to the smooth ride and so forth.... In the end... All I said was "tires...put some decent money in tires... they do more work than anything"....
Old 08-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I went from 18s to 17s to 15s and my ride quality SUCKS, lol. I guess there are other factors I have to consider with my setup...

Quick Reply: 19's to 18's... anyone done this?