Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MY FRPP TUNE IS SICKKKK!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 PM
GT50GO
2nd Gear Member

I've observed a little under 2MPG improvement in gas mileage after three fill ups and 100's of miles.
I paid $50 from my dealer to install but would have paid $113. Warranty on full engine not just cylinder #8 worth it to me.

Last edited by GT50GO; 09-13-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:13 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Warrio17
Retains my warranty - worth it to me. Not chancing a brand new car. To each is their own.
Wow, just saw that caveat on Ford Racing's site...

"Unlike many of our competitors, all Ford Racing Power Upgrade Packages are 50 state emissions legal and eligible for limited warranty when installed by a Ford or Lincoln Dealer"

I can't believe they are pulling that for such a simple upgrade that doesn't even involve a wrench or screwdriver, but I can understand your concern this early on in owning your new car.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Warrio17
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE
I wonder how the OP would feel with one of those warranty crushing and more powerful custom tunes from AM or Brenspeed?[/QUOTE]

Once my warranty expires I will definitely will be upgrade that along with numerous other items.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Warrio17
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Wow, just saw that caveat on Ford Racing's site...

"Unlike many of our competitors, all Ford Racing Power Upgrade Packages are 50 state emissions legal and eligible for limited warranty when installed by a Ford or Lincoln Dealer"

I can't believe they are pulling that for such a simple upgrade that doesn't even involve a wrench or screwdriver, but I can understand your concern this early on in owning your new car.
Yea it's kinda annoying, especially with something this simple. It is what it is
Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I had my car for about three months when I decided to toss the warranty in the trash. No regrets.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I had my car for about three months when I decided to toss the warranty in the trash. No regrets.
Ditto. And it would have been sooner if it hadn't been for some unexpected business immediatley after buying the Stang. Waiting for the warranty to expire simply wastes a lot of enjoyment time. Considering the incredubly low percentage of folks that have had issues due to mods, I had no concern. Of course, then there are the wusses that allow the dealerships to intimidate them and not repair unrelated problems.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:47 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Yeah, but your motor isn't known for puking pistons for no good reason.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Warrio17
2nd Gear Member

I don't consider myself a wussy by any means. Just because I have different goals for my car... I paid for my car more than half cash. I don't feel like risking having to shell out additional $ because of a tuner.. Hence why I chose the FRPP. Not worth the hassle or the worry. This is a brand new 40000 car. If I picked one up used I would mod the **** out of it day one.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Agreed, I would have chosen the same route as you took. Being just a little conservative until the warranty expires is not a bad thing. Why risk a $6k or more engine replacement? At least with the FRPP tune you don't have to worry about driving the car hard. If I just paid $40k on a new car, I would also take the "safe" route.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:41 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I have finally come to my conclusion on this. I have been on the fence about tuning as well. I am going to do with this one like I did with the last 2. CAI & custom tune it. The 5.0 does have a reputation as a piston puker, but I think that is a very small amount of people / cars involved. I also have read enough that it was in the early stages of custom tuning that this was happening. I would also just about bet that they were running the dog crap out of them. I maybe wrong but I don't run it like I stole it, although I do get on it hard every now and then. I don't race it. Seems like many people are running custom tunes although not as much in the '11 - 13's. That ground has been covered as well. If it were that big of a problem, I do not think Bama, C&L, Benspeed, or any of the big ones would be tuning for them. Do I think FRPP is a rip? No, it is a matter of choice. We all have bought a car that is very capable performance wise. Even straight out of the factory. Can it be improved? Yep. Some people are just more conservative in what they want. Finally here is one more little thing to think about for those of us with Mustang's under warranty. Do you change your own oil? Do you keep the mileage and receipts? If not, you just voided your warranty.

Last edited by mapitts; 09-14-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: MY FRPP TUNE IS SICKKKK!!!!!!