Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MY FRPP TUNE IS SICKKKK!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I ordered my cai+tune before I even took delivery of my car over a year ago

No regrets... yet...

I agree, if you are paranoid and don't feel like going through the hassle of forcing a dealership to warranty something unrelated to your tune it can be worth it to people to get the FRPP. But it is no where near as good as the Steeda, BAMA, brenspeed, or Lund tunes.

also.. MPG changes are in your imagination... like apple products are great and have no problems. It's something people tell themselves to justify their purchases... Just a little harmless self delusion.

Last edited by Mishri; 09-14-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:05 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
I have finally come to my conclusion on this. I have been on the fence about tuning as well. I am going to do with this one like I did with the last 2. CAI & custom tune it. The 5.0 does have a reputation as a piston puker, but I think that is a very small amount of people / cars involved. I also have read enough that it was in the early stages of custom tuning that this was happening. I would also just about bet that they were running the dog crap out of them. I maybe wrong but I don't run it like I stole it, although I do get on it hard every now and then. I don't race it. Seems like many people are running custom tunes although not as much in the '11 - 13's. That ground has been covered as well. If it were that big of a problem, I do not think Bama, C&L, Benspeed, or any of the big ones would be tuning for them. Do I think FRPP is a rip? No, it is a matter of choice. We all have bought a car that is very capable performance wise. Even straight out of the factory. Can it be improved? Yep. Some people are just more conservative in what they want. Finally here is one more little thing to think about for those of us with Mustang's under warranty. Do you change your own oil? Do you keep the mileage and receipts? If not, you just voided your warranty.
While I agree with most of what you've said, I would have to ask you to find one person who has had a warranty voided because they didn't keep receipts for oil changes. I can find several who have been denied warranty because of a custom tune.

Has anyone tested the frpp setup at the track? Just curious if it's actually faster or just better drivability. Some people have reported pinging with the frpp tune. Any pinging original poster?

Last edited by moosestang; 09-14-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:08 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
I ordered my cai+tune before I even took delivery of my car over a year ago

No regrets... yet...

I agree, if you are paranoid and don't feel like going through the hassle of forcing a dealership to warranty something unrelated to your tune it can be worth it to people to get the FRPP. But it is no where near as good as the Steeda, BAMA, brenspeed, or Lund tunes.
Not sound like a douche, but have you actually driven a car with the FRPP tune loaded? If not, how can you say so unequivocally that the FRPP is "no where near as good as..."?

I have the FRPP tune and love it... Would I love another tuners' tune as much... yeah, probably. But the other piece to the puzzle is the other aspects of driveability other than just HP numbers on a dyno...

Don

ETA: No pinging for me...
Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

No I haven't driven a car with an FRPP tune. The fastest FRPP tuned car i've heard of going in the 1/4 went 12.0. Fastest Steeda tune car 11.8. I have more mods but I blew away a guy who was even with an frpp tuned 5.0.. so that doesn't mean much. on the dyno, at the track, everyone knows the frpp tune is more conservative.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:41 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
... I would have to ask you to find one person who has had a warranty voided because they didn't keep receipts for oil changes. I can find several who have been denied warranty because of a custom tune...
Show up to the dealership with an engine related problem and no proof of oil changes of any kind 25K miles into a warranty and see what happens. Ford tried that on me in 1996 on an F250 with a failing high pressure oil pump. No records existed of proper maintenanace oil / filter changes, intervals and mileage and they tried to void the warranty work on me. I just happen to be one of those reciept keepers and do my own work on stuff like that. Brought in my reciepts and that saved my butt. I keep reciepts for everything like that. On the reciepts I put the mileage & date and put them in a file. People actually do get bullied by some dealerships and fall for it. If I custom tune my car and blow it to pieces, it had better be directly tied to the tune / CAI. If an oil pump fails, that IS NOT TUNE RELATED. Same goes for the A/C, CD player etc. Blows a piston out of the oil pan, that is more than likely tune related. Different story all together. Everybody seems to think that I, and many others are ******* the FRPP tune. I for one am not. It is simply just not what I am looking for. I am actually glad that it is meeting and exceeding the owners and users expectations. Somehow this has turned into FRPP vs. everyone elses tunes.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I looked at it like this: I bought the car to mod it, so I wasn't going to wait for Ford to give me the OK. If the engine blows, screw warranty work, I'm getting a low compression built block and trying to break that one too.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Warrio17
2nd Gear Member

While I agree with most of what you've said, I would have to ask you to find one person who has had a warranty voided because they didn't keep receipts for oil changes. I can find several who have been denied warranty because of a custom tune.

Has anyone tested the frpp setup at the track? Just curious if it's actually faster or just better drivability. Some people have reported pinging with the frpp tune. Any pinging original poster?

No pinging to report. I am going to the Modern Muscle Car Shootout in Bradenton, FL October 20th. I will be running the track then, I'll be more than happy to post my time and review the track performance. I will have to throughout a disclaimer, that being that I haven't been on a drag strip- my times unfortunately may reflect that. Nevertheless, I will let you know how it goes.

Side note, how accurate are the times in the track app program? I would be happy to give that a shot in the mean time.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:01 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Warrio17
Retains my warranty - worth it to me. Not chancing a brand new car. To each is their own.
It was probably the best $111.30 he has spent in a long time.
Dont knock him just because he has the extra dough
to pony up the warranty on his new C/S stallion.
He probably just worked a few extra hours at work
doing what he gets paid to do to make up for the
extra $111.30 for the peace of mind.
It is a GT C/S after-all. Not the generic flavor GT.
It deserves the extra treatment of the dealer install.
I hope the installers didnt test drive the hell out of her...
Originally Posted by danzcool
Wait, you paid the ford dealer $111.30 to
replace the air filter (which you supplied) and load the tune from the tuner?
Really?

You should be giving yourself the faceplant for that comment datz NOT cool

Name:  demotivator_double-facepalm.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  42.4 KB

Last edited by 157dB; 09-15-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:03 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I looked at it like this: I bought the car to mod it, so I wasn't going to wait for Ford to give me the OK. If the engine blows, screw warranty work, I'm getting a low compression built block and trying to break that one too.
That's exactly my thought.. The warranty is nice and all and still used for anything else on the car that breaks.. Engine and drivetrain work I can do all day, no problem..
Old 09-15-2012, 09:51 AM
gs462
1st Gear Member

I picked up a tenth and 1.5 mph after the FRPP tune on my 13, Gained 16 hp and 17 ft lbs at the wheels on the dyno also. ZERO PING

Quick Reply: MY FRPP TUNE IS SICKKKK!!!!!!