Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

insurance.. LOL

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:14 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Default insurance.. LOL

Hey everybody, just need to vent a little bit here. So a little background...im 18 years old and looking at purchasing an older sn95 stang. I was looking at a 2003 at a dealer and i was calling around for insurance before i purchased the car.. and i decided to call a couple companies. Geico was first.. the answer was outrageous: 1200 a month!

How do they justify an 18 yr old paying that!? The car is 10years old! Im a hard worker and very responsible and cannot get the car i want because of the insurance! I hate when people say to wait because i know it can be done.. but i dont know how. Cheapest i found was 700 a month. What can i do? I really want the car, and ive heard of 18 year olds getting older stangs and being able to pull it off.... how though?! Any options here? Thanks..
Old 09-20-2012, 02:58 AM
aquajr
2nd Gear Member

Are you sure it wasn't $1200 for 6 months? I'm just asking since I was paying $2400 a year for my 06 GT when I was 19-20 and the car was basically new. It dropped to $2000 when I switched to Geico.

Dude $1200 is how much I pay for my wife and I with both our cars.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:59 AM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

Do you actually live IN New York City? If so, that could be part of it. When you search for ins. online they always ask for your zip code because where you live & the traffic & crime in your zip has a lot to do with the premiums you pay. On your next online search enter a zip code from some little town way out in the sticks & see what rate they quote you.

**Also see if you can get on your parents policy. That should drop it a lot. Even though you're 18 a lot of states will put you on their policy if you're living at home or if you're a college student & living away from their home.

Last edited by GT Katie; 09-20-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:15 AM
5.0powa

What's your driving record like? When I was 18, (10 years ago) I was really into the street racing scene and racked up tickets like crazy. I was quoted 1100 a month for liability through Allstate for a 96 v6. If you have a bad driving record, that's probably why the quote was high. Was it a Cobra/Saleen/Roush??? Those will jack the price up too.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:43 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0powa
What's your driving record like? When I was 18, (10 years ago) I was really into the street racing scene and racked up tickets like crazy. I was quoted 1100 a month for liability through Allstate for a 96 v6. If you have a bad driving record, that's probably why the quote was high. Was it a Cobra/Saleen/Roush??? Those will jack the price up too.
clean driving record, no tickets/accidents. And no, just a regular 5 speed GT..Its ridiculous
Old 09-20-2012, 05:44 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Katie
Do you actually live IN New York City? If so, that could be part of it. When you search for ins. online they always ask for your zip code because where you live & the traffic & crime in your zip has a lot to do with the premiums you pay. On your next online search enter a zip code from some little town way out in the sticks & see what rate they quote you.

**Also see if you can get on your parents policy. That should drop it a lot. Even though you're 18 a lot of states will put you on their policy if you're living at home or if you're a college student & living away from their home.
Im seeing if i could be put on my parents policy with the car, but could the car still be titled in my name if i do that?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:45 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aquajr
Are you sure it wasn't $1200 for 6 months? I'm just asking since I was paying $2400 a year for my 06 GT when I was 19-20 and the car was basically new. It dropped to $2000 when I switched to Geico.

Dude $1200 is how much I pay for my wife and I with both our cars.
Nope, for 6 months they wanted over 7,000... I couldnt believe it when the person said that. Its really upsetting that i work so hard for my money and would love to make my own payments and have responsibilty, but i cant because of all this.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:47 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Ah..... the perks that come with being 46 years old! With that being said any chance you can get signed on with your parents insurance? You could list your parents as the primary driver with you signed on. That may help assuming you have a clean driving record not to mention all the comments also mentioned above.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:53 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
Ah..... the perks that come with being 46 years old! With that being said any chance you can get signed on with your parents insurance? You could list your parents as the primary driver with you signed on. That may help assuming you have a clean driving record not to mention all the comments also mentioned above.
yes, clean driving record...but how would i do that? because if i finance the car and have it in my name, could i still be on my parents insurance?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:07 AM
5.0powa

That makes absolutly no sence. Clean driving record and a 10 year old car. 700 dollars a month would pay for the car in a year and a half. That simply can't be. I would understand maybe 400 for full coverage at your age but thats still high. I'll ask my wife and mother in law later tonight. They work for Progressive and Allstate and I'll get back to you. I'm west coast though so it'll be Saturday.

I'd definatley look into getting on your parents policy. You might even consider putting it on suspend (If the company allows it since it needs to be fully covered...and please look into gap insurance, I hear horror stories nightly). Suspend allows you to drive the car a set amount of days a month (Allstate is 10) at a fraction of the cost. Some companies offer it, some don't.

Quick Reply: insurance.. LOL