Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which axle back is best???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 AM
yellowneck86
2nd Gear Member

I ran Flowmasters A/T's for 9 months and found them to be too mellow. I noticed the axlebacks began to baffle for a little bit. So i decided to swap them out with a set of Borla S type stingers from American Muscle and have been satisfied since.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 AM
blueoval68gt

I know its not on your list but the roush axle back are BAD!!!! Quiet enough on the the freeway and around town but WOT is jaw dropping.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:26 AM
Justinsmt88
2nd Gear Member

What is this infamous drone I keep hearing about?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Justinsmt88
the noise you hear while cruising, for example on the highway you have flowmasters odds are you have noise in the cabin thats drone.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:36 AM
Justinsmt88
2nd Gear Member

Is it a kind of whining sound? I have that around that speed under accel
Old 12-09-2012, 02:37 PM
jasontrucks76

I just installed the Bassani axle backs last night that I picked up from American muscle and am really happy with them!
The install was a snap and the sound is perrrrrfect.... IMO anyway. I am too new to post any pics or sound clips but my personal assessment of the Bassani is they sound just like an old school V8 should sound. Nice low rumble at idle that is not loud at all and at WOT they really wake up and let bystanders know you are there.

I did a small post over in the exhaust section with a little more detail on the install and overall impression of everything from install to fit and finish to sound. I would, based on my opinion of sound, defiantly recommend the Bassani axel backs to anyone.

Have you made a decision yet on what you are going to order?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I had Mac Boomtubes without any other mods and they sounded great but droned in 5th gear at 60mph.

Went to Mac long-tube headers with Mac off-road ProChamber, sounded nasty but was extremely loud and drone was unbearable at 5th gear and 60mph.

My current set up is Mac long-tube headers with Mac off-road ProChamber, and Bassani Race axle-backs and I love it. Quiet when I want it to be and loud and throaty when I want it to be.

I do not have any other breathing mods (like an intake) which will only make it sound better.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:02 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by TomKat
the noise you hear while cruising, for example on the highway you have flowmasters odds are you have noise in the cabin thats drone.
Is it a kind of whining sound? I have that around that speed under accel
Justin - it is not a whine sound. If you are hearing a whine that is usually the ring and pinion not set up properly.

Drone is a deep tone that reverberates through the cabin (think of a comment about somebody who just keeps droning on and on). Just a dull sound, not quite like the exhaust note but close.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 PM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

Any of those muffler deletes are going to be crazy loud with those headers! Almost obnoxiously loud. Muffler deletes by themselves are usually really loud. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:49 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Ever think of pipes muffler deletes? Might be an option. I like borla stingers a lot. Borla touring might be an option. Flowmaster American thunder sound good. Why don't u do some YouTube searches and maybe u can get an idea.

Quick Reply: Which axle back is best???