Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

oil sep question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:20 PM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

Default oil sep question

I'm going with the jlt oil separator and was curious because the american muscle project build only had the passenger side done. Should i just get both driver and passenger side or is this overkill?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

On the 5.0, the passenger side is from the valve/cam cover to the intake. That side needs it as it has oil vapors. The drivers side is from the inlet tube to the crankcase, fresh air going in- no need for a separator.

Frank
Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by prochargedGT
I'm going with the jlt oil separator and was curious because the american muscle project build only had the passenger side done. Should i just get both driver and passenger side or is this overkill?
Originally Posted by duckbubbles
On the 5.0, the passenger side is from the valve/cam cover to the intake. That side needs it as it has oil vapors. The drivers side is from the inlet tube to the crankcase, fresh air going in- no need for a separator.

Frank
I agree with Bubbles, The passenger side is what you need to go with! You can definitely run both if you want to it and it wont have any negative affects. But the passenger side is most common!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or need some further assistance! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266.

-Dan
Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 AM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback I will def be ordering one soon. It will def be coming from am as they always have the best prices. Thanks guys.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:55 AM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

I learned the value of a separator when I put the blower on my '08. The stock manifold had lots of oil in it after 30,000 miles of stock running. I've added one to my new (stock) '13. The JLT is a nice setup for the 5.0.

Frank
Old 12-10-2012, 03:52 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
I've added one to my new (stock) '13. The JLT is a nice setup for the 5.0.

Frank
I agree 100%. Should be the first mod done IMHO. You are getting more blow by than you think you are getting with the 5.0.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

I just installed mine today with 580 miles on Odometer. ordered it friday from AM (I could have went and picked it up, they're only 20 minutes from my house, but it rained friday and nittos and rain don't mix well)

I did the JLT because it already has the connectors and was the easiest Plug and Play set up out of all the catch cans.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 PM
theczar
2nd Gear Member

i got both for "just in case" and i've emptied my passenger side twice so far and the driver side a big fat 0. it has a very faint layer of oil in it but you can only tell by running your finger thru it
Old 12-12-2012, 11:10 PM
HsvGT
1st Gear Member

I will be picking one up for the passenger side very soon. Sounds like a necessity.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 AM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

I will be going jlt sep as well

Quick Reply: oil sep question