Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Any ideas on how I can pass my emissions test?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 02:50 PM
stangthang13

Default Any ideas on how I can pass my emissions test?

Took my 09 GT in to get tested today and it got rejected. My catalytic converter eff., evaporative control system, heated oxygen sensor, and oxygen sensor are all NOT READY. All my mods are listed below. I have high-flow cats on it by the way. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangthang13
Took my 09 GT in to get tested today and it got rejected. My catalytic converter eff., evaporative control system, heated oxygen sensor, and oxygen sensor are all NOT READY. All my mods are listed below. I have high-flow cats on it by the way. Thanks.
I would say that you failed initially from the visual inspection. Not much you can do there except put the stock stuff back on. That...or you failed b/c the CEL was on with the O2 sensors "not ready" and everything else "not ready".

I'd suggest making everything "READY" then getting it tested.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:51 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

If your monitors are not ready to me it means the battery either went dead or just replaced, if that is the case then you need to drive both local and highway for about 50-60 total miles. IF the dead or replaced battery is not the case then that to me means whoever tuned it turned off the rear O2's.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 PM
stangthang13

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
If your monitors are not ready to me it means the battery either went dead or just replaced, if that is the case then you need to drive both local and highway for about 50-60 total miles. IF the dead or replaced battery is not the case then that to me means whoever tuned it turned off the rear O2's.
I did disconnect the battery a few times last week...would that have that long of an effect on all the systems though? I've driven it more than 50 miles in the past week.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 PM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

Call your tuner & see what they turned off in the tune. I had to have my O2s turned back on with my Brenspeed tune to get through emissions.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:00 PM
stangthang13

Originally Posted by tbar
Call your tuner & see what they turned off in the tune. I had to have my O2s turned back on with my Brenspeed tune to get through emissions.
Oh really? Yea I got my tune from brenspeed as well. I will have to give them a call tomorrow. Did all those other systems come up as NOT READY on yours as well or was it just the O2 sensor?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

They told me they turn of the O2s unless you ask to have them left on.I can't remember what all was off.I told them I had to get through emissions. They sent me a new tune and I drove it a couple days to get everything back to readyness for testing.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:19 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbar
They told me they turn of the O2s unless you ask to have them left on.I can't remember what all was off.I told them I had to get through emissions. They sent me a new tune and I drove it a couple days to get everything back to readyness for testing.
Hmmm, they left my rear o2's on, but I have the stock cats and H-pipe. I had them send me a new tune with them turned off to run my wide band sensor.

OP-Ask them if they can send you an emissions tune.

Last edited by moosestang; 12-19-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Oh really? Yea I got my tune from brenspeed as well. I will have to give them a call tomorrow. Did all those other systems come up as NOT READY on yours as well or was it just the O2 sensor?
When i got my supercharger tune from them the same exact thing happened to me.

*and of course they fixed it after a quick call
Old 12-18-2012, 09:33 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

You need to turn on your rear 02's sensor or you will never be ready. You usually need 3 out of 4 to be ready.

If you have cats, you will be fine 99% of the time.

If you do not have cats, you need to move the rear 02 sensors out of the exhaust stream using a non fouler, 18mm I believe.

Drive the car normal for about 40 to 50 miles. Not to hard, not to light.

that should do it.

Quick Reply: Any ideas on how I can pass my emissions test?