Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

High Cabin Humidity, fogging, heat blasts

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Seattlelion

Default High Cabin Humidity, fogging, heat blasts

I have a 2013 GT Premium with the dual control auto cabin temperature control. Unlike any car I have owned in the last 20 years, this one suffers from a fogged rear window every day the temperature is below 50 deg F. and the front window fogs without warning during highway travel. In addition, when getting the cabin warm, the heat blasts me with too much hot air after the cabin reaches a comfortable temperature (I set it to 72), then settles down to do a good job of temp control.

Is this a problem with my car or do all of the 2013's behave this way? Thanks.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

Not sure about the 13's, my 11 fogs up when it gets cool outside, I have the same climate control you do, I never feel the heat blast me in the face I think it blast my feet more than anything keep mine at 70-72. You might be able to change the heat settings with the auto climate control to blow on your feet instead would have to go outside and double check on that can let you know after I leave work. It has become second nature for me to hit the defog button when I get in the car if it is remotely cool outside. Do you have the Nav unit in yours?
Old 12-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

If you have the Nav system go to the climate control screen and make sure Dual is selected . It is the only thing I have selected on my CC other than auto. Not sure if this will help you at all.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First off, clean the windows well with an ammonia-based cleaner, then clean them again. Second, be sure you don't have the vents on recirc. Third, don't be afraid to use the defrost mode on the HVAC system and the rear window defroster.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Seattlelion

I have experimented with dual vs single with no changes. My climate control when not on auto still doesn't let me control much at all. I was caught off guard by the fogging. My 370 Z never fogged. Nissan put a humidity sensor in the cabin and use the A/C to dehumidify. The Ford clearly doesn't do that.

Thanks for the information. It saves me a trip to the service department.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 PM
cerealkller

I have a 2013 Base and have the same problem, windows fog up super fast and the heater will positively roast you. This is also the first car I've ever owned that the rear view mirror even fogs up. I don't run with recirc on but all I can figure is the car, even off recirc, is so well sealed that it traps all the moisture.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

The defroster activates the AC system and takes moisture out of the air. Even on mix the AC unit will be on.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Seattlelion

Originally Posted by Simon1
The defroster activates the AC system and takes moisture out of the air. Even on mix the AC unit will be on.
On cars with nav / dual control, there are no controls for mix, heat, ac, etc. you just set the desired temp. If AC would go on if the cabin is humid, there would be little-to-no fogging.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

You can hit the AC button though and the auto button and it will mix.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Seattlelion

Originally Posted by Dawghouse
You can hit the AC button though and the auto button and it will mix.
Unfortunately, on my car (Nav/ dual control), there is no "AC" button.

Quick Reply: High Cabin Humidity, fogging, heat blasts