Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bad experience with pypes long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Weather Man
1st Gear Member

I would have taken the offered header. In case you have issues with the motor shift, you could tweek the 2nd off the car, and replace the bad one.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:13 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I've seen several cars with Pypes axle backs or cat backs, and the tailpipes ALWAYS look like ****. One tip is close, the other one is hanging down too far, sticking out too far, shifted to one side, or all three. I've had two different axle backs (MBRP and Hooker), and both were right on the money. Pypes QC (or lack thereof) is just inexcusable, but then again, what do you expect for Chinese stuff I guess. I'm pretty sure I don't want to try their headers if they can't even get an axle back right.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
chevydillan
1st Gear Member

Wow! Im sorry you had this experience but thanks for sharing it with everybody else. This will most definitely influence my buying decisions.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 2012fgtm
So after posting my story on their fb page and had a huge amount of negative feedback, they contacted me. Pypes told me they would send me a driver side header. I informed them that my shop had already fixed the problem and i didnt need a new header, but that i was looking for a little help in for the additional cost of fixing their faulty product. They told me absolutely not, they would not reimburse for labor charges. So i asked them if they could send me a full set of headers with the problem fixed, so that maybe i could sell them on my own to get reimbursed. My thinking was it would cost them pretty much nothing, i could regain some lost cash, the header problem would be fixed, and everyone happy. Nope...they said absolutely not. Pypes was extremely rude, and told me i should shut up and deal with it, and they would send me ONE header when the problem was already fixed, or they couldnt send me a header. Id prefer to tell my story and let everyone know my bad experience rather then get a useless header. Also, they informed me that they still had not fixed the problem of the header rubbing on the steering shaft.
It's interesting you say they will send you a single header. Another guy on the forum had problems (but he bought a used set from someone). Pypes wouldn't sell him a single header for a similar clearance issue saying they are only available in pairs.

Not going to resort to name calling here but I think Pypes will soon go the way of RPM Outlet. (Out of business).
Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Originally Posted by Derf00
It's interesting you say they will send you a single header. Another guy on the forum had problems (but he bought a used set from someone). Pypes wouldn't sell him a single header for a similar clearance issue saying they are only available in pairs.

Not going to resort to name calling here but I think Pypes will soon go the way of RPM Outlet. (Out of business).
Yeah, that was me. F%^K Pypes! I'd rather put OBX Ebay crap on my car.

we had a huge post about it going over on S197forum too.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:36 PM
chevydillan
1st Gear Member

These forums have a lot of effect on company's A bad reputation is worse than almost anything.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Jeffk
Yeah, that was me. F%^K Pypes! I'd rather put OBX Ebay crap on my car.

we had a huge post about it going over on S197forum too.
What headers you end up going with?

I wonder if pypes every bothers to look/monitor the forum? My guess is no or they don't care. Whatever, i just don't send them my business anymore.

I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to screw ups or an occassional bad product/customer service experience but when it's not just an isolated incident or it's an ongoing thing, that speaks volumes.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Originally Posted by Derf00
What headers you end up going with?

I wonder if pypes every bothers to look/monitor the forum? My guess is no or they don't care. Whatever, i just don't send them my business anymore.

I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to screw ups or an occassional bad product/customer service experience but when it's not just an isolated incident or it's an ongoing thing, that speaks volumes.
I'm still debating on what to go with. It sucks because I still have the Pypes X pipe but I really don't want to buy another set of Pypes headers. I will probably end up going Kooks.

Yeah, it's not an isolated incident with their customer service. I don't think that they look at the forums. I sent the "customer service" guy a link to the post on S197... I never got a response from him.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Weather Man
I would have taken the offered header. In case you have issues with the motor shift, you could tweek the 2nd off the car, and replace the bad one.
OP, I would go with what Weather Man says here. TAKE THE FREE PIPE, put it on & take the shims out of the motor mount. Shimming the m. mount is nothing more than a band aid fix & could cause you other issues down the road. Shimming the engine all cockeyed is almost as bad as hammering clearance in the pipe.
Also, thanks for the info on the Pypes quality. I didn't know they were made in China & also didn't know that their customer "DIS service" after the sale was basically the "***** the customer" variety. Keep up the free advertising campaign & maybe the mo fos will refund you some of the $$ you wasted making their crappy pipes fit (ESPECIALLY since they've admitted that they themselves have had fitment issues with them.)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:29 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
I'm still debating on what to go with. It sucks because I still have the Pypes X pipe but I really don't want to buy another set of Pypes headers. I will probably end up going Kooks.

Yeah, it's not an isolated incident with their customer service. I don't think that they look at the forums. I sent the "customer service" guy a link to the post on S197... I never got a response from him.
Never tried a motorcycle fab shop did you?

Quick Reply: Bad experience with pypes long tube headers