Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Convertible opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Default Convertible opinions

So some of you may have heard that I totaled my GT this weekend.

BUT

I found a 2006 GT Vert in Legend Lime. If everything washes out right with my insurance, I should be able to get the car, pay off my last couple payments, and put in maybe grand for TTL. End up with the same amount owed and same mileage as my Windveil Blue GT. Just green and convertible.

Now, I know relatively little about convertibles.

The car is in nigh perfect condition. The interior looks beautiful except the door leather is about 2 seconds from flapping in the breeze, top is free of apparent wear or tears. The rear glass is firmly in place. Stock everything except Pioneer touchscreen navigation (meh) and a shorty antenna.

One small ding in the passenger door. Easily removed with paintless. Buffable scuffs on the passenger side fender. (Battery change I would assume.) Some scratches on the rear bumper, also buffable.

The kicker is this: the "rear" windows (dunno what else to call them) are scratched. It's not in the glass. It looked like it was paint transfer from in the door? Or something. It looks white or silver. I'm not sure, It was getting dark and I'll take pics Wednesday.

Now, on the driver's side (the worst window is on that side) has some scratches on the quarter panel. About 6 inches below the glass. Probably not wholly buffable. In one bit it was through the paint.

Not terribly noticeable, but definitely worthy of body shop's attention. I'll grab a pic of that too with better light. Is this potentially a sign of work on the top's frame? I'm concerned about the top really, since that's the one thing I don't know about. I'm going to find a car wash to check it for leaks next I drive it, but I'm not sure what else to check.

And S197 Vert owners want to chime in here?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I'm digging the color combo...just saying.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Ha, yeah, I haven't seen anything like it. With some subtle mods (billet grills, 2010 taillights, blacked out decklid, most of which I have) It should look pretty good.

I'm gonna get tan in this sucker.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

My last 3 cars were Mustang GT convertibles. My present one, a 2006 is the only car I've ever ordered from the factory. 106K nearly trouble free miles. The couple of problems I had were minor. It's been the best car I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot (I'm 67).
If you've never owned a 'vert, you're in for a treat my friend. Weather now might be crap, but this summer, when you're crusing with the top down, you'll say, "I'm a rag top man".
Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 PM
GrumpysGT
1st Gear Member

I hace a 2007 GT/CS conv. and I love it. Would buy another if something happened to mine.
Just check all the seams in the top, both interior and exterior. Also check the rubber weatherstripping for any rips or tears.
Some have had problems with water leaking into the trunk area, sometimes due to the drain tubes being plugged up. Check the trunk carpeting and floor underneath for signs of water. Have never had any problems with mine, but it has always been garaged. But it has been driven in rain many times.
Personally, I wouldn't run it through a car wash as the pressure is much higher than a rain storm or washing it with a hose. A car wash will likely spurt water in somewhere via a window seal.
Also, what material is the top made of, vinal or cloth. The cloth will probably hold up better. Mines cloth and looks as good now as it did in 2007.
Just remember, it's an 8 year old car and it's probably gonna have some scratches n blemishes.
See if you can find the history possibly talk to the original owner if you can and get the cars history.
GrumpysGT
Old 02-04-2013, 09:51 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

History is clean. Never wrecked. I checked with Ford and it was serviced once on a recall for passenger air bag sensor or some such.

The top appeared to be stitched cloth...? But it was really stiff. I suppose it could've been a vinyl material. Looked like a think canvas type material.

I'll check the seals and the trunk. I meant I'd find a drive in car wash. Or hell, maybe just a regular water hose at my mechanic's shop. Gonna take it by there and have them put in on a lift.

And actually, Goldenpony, The weather is pretty great in Dallas last few days. I put the top down on the test drive. Felt awesome.

I mean, it'll be 110 outside in 5 months, but this really mild winter is awesome.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Looks nice. Scratches under rear quarter window could be from a dog?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JFitz
History is clean. Never wrecked. I checked with Ford and it was serviced once on a recall for passenger air bag sensor or some such.

The top appeared to be stitched cloth...? But it was really stiff. I suppose it could've been a vinyl material. Looked like a think canvas type material.

I'll check the seals and the trunk. I meant I'd find a drive in car wash. Or hell, maybe just a regular water hose at my mechanic's shop. Gonna take it by there and have them put in on a lift.

And actually, Goldenpony, The weather is pretty great in Dallas last few days. I put the top down on the test drive. Felt awesome.

I mean, it'll be 110 outside in 5 months, but this really mild winter is awesome.

Hey JFitz,
I didn't realize where you lived. If it's warm there now, I'm jealous as hell. I have Corsa mufflers on my '06 and the best thing I know of is crusing with the top down listening to a V8 purring to me. It doesn't get any better than that.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Ehhh, these are DEEP scratches. Looks like something metal or the like did it.

And yeah, the exhaust is stock so I'm going to need some axle-back exhaust.

And I was actually just looking at Corsa.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 AM
GrumpysGT
1st Gear Member

Default Convertable

Looks like the Stang has several options. Leather means it has the interior package. The styling bar might be a Ford item added when the car was purchased, or aftermarket. 300.00--500.00 depending on maker.
The cloth top is good--it's an option/upgrade from the vinal, and holds up better than vinal. Check to see if there is a boot cover--covers the top when it's down. It is an option so if it's not there don't worry. Don't really need it but if you want one there on e-bay cheap.
Top being stiff and tight is good. Means the car was parked/stored with the top up. Looks like the top is tan/camel in color so it should be easy to check if it's stained or dirty. If clean, car was probably kept garaged.
Top needs to be cleaned and retreated twice a year. Several products out there. Best stuff is Ragg Top available on Amazon or from Auto Geek.
Only wash my GT from the windows down. Wash the top only a few times using a dedicated soft brush.
Once you have a vert, driving top down on a nice day, you'll understand why going topless is the only way to go!!!
GrumpysGT

Quick Reply: Convertible opinions