Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

n2mb wot

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 PM
2009 Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by awbreyjd
It is awesome, this is the second car I have had it one and I love it. The install is easy if you are fairly accustomed to eletrical wiring. I will say this as a recommendations. Solder all connections you do and on the mustang its easier to go by pinout than color on the harness.
I have been doing some reading and I'm now considering the MSD 2-step. I will not be at the track often and won't have time to fool around with the no-lift-shift timing so I'm now considering the msd. Any thoughts on this?
I read that since the msd directly plugs in it will be more efficient and wont cause and "check engine" codes to pop up. I also won't have to splice wires which is a plus for me because i've never messed around with wires (although my father could help me because he did a/c heating for a while). I also prefer to work through American Muscle and they only carry the msd 2 step. I am pretty quick at shifting. For a N/A car, is the no-lift really going to make a noticeable difference for me at the track? Or is it really just the 2 step that will help me out?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

MSD was all I needed. Gimme a minute and I'll find the wiring diagram I made.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I had a switch panel made for my line locks and 2 step and this diagram is based off of the wiring for that, but it should give you a good idea of how easy it is to install the 2-step. The only other connections are to your coil packs under the hood and they are plug-and-play. VERY easy.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 AM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

I like the no lift shift feature for the lessened stress it puts on your drive line. It has a rather adaptive automatic timing function that can learn you to some extent and get the speed close to what you need. Its not hard to mess with as it has a Graphic user interface for a laptop.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:48 PM
2009 Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I had a switch panel made for my line locks and 2 step and this diagram is based off of the wiring for that, but it should give you a good idea of how easy it is to install the 2-step. The only other connections are to your coil packs under the hood and they are plug-and-play. VERY easy.

That diagram is very helpful!
I saw it yesterday when I was looking at other threads on this topic. You said it was made for like $60 right? I might consider getting one made up because it looks really nice!
Can't you also run the line to the clutch so it activates when the clutch is fully pressed in?
I was also considering getting a switch for my shifter.
Many options...I will probably try to hook it up to the clutch and later on get a switch for it.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2009 Eleanor
Can't you also run the line to the clutch so it activates when the clutch is fully pressed in?
You can, but you would need to run an additional relay because that line is normally hot. I originally had mine run that way but changed it because I didn't like how much the RPMs would spike in the short amount of time it took for the clutch to get from the lowest position to the highest. Since I switched to using the top switch, a couple of my friends did the same and are also happier with their setup that way. My launches are much more consistent using the top clutch switch compared to when I used the bottom. A lot of people use a proximity switch, which works basically the same as I have mine set up, but I prefer the cleaner wiring of using the top clutch switch. I cannot stress enough how good this mod has been to me at the drag strip. My 60' times are extremely consistent and my reaction times are finally not a complete embarrassment.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 PM
2009 Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

What do you mean "top clutch switch"?
I would want it so it engages immediately when I put the clutch in and disengages when the clutch is fully out...doesn't this sound like a good way to actuate the 2 step?
And what do you mean by the rpm spiking?
Are you saying that the 2 step was activating when the clutch was fully pressed in and not when you just start to push the clutch in?
Thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

What do you mean "top clutch switch"?
There are two different clutch position indicators. One measures when the clutch is in the fully "up" or engaged position and one measures when the clutch is in the fully "down" or disengaged position. Most people commonly refer to the "up" switch as top and the "down" switch as bottom.
I would want it so it engages immediately when I put the clutch in and disengages when the clutch is fully out...doesn't this sound like a good way to actuate the 2 step?
Yes. If you follow my wiring diagram, that is exactly what you will get.
And what do you mean by the rpm spiking?
Are you saying that the 2 step was activating when the clutch was fully pressed in and not when you just start to push the clutch in?
Thanks
Exactly. Sorry if I made it sound confusing, but the result you're looking for is exactly what you'll get if you use my wiring diagram.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

That diagram is very helpful!
I saw it yesterday when I was looking at other threads on this topic. You said it was made for like $60 right?
Yes (but I think it was $65). PM me if you want the info on the guy who made it for me. If you send him a copy of the image in this thread, he'll remember it and he can make you one to match.

I might consider getting one made up because it looks really nice!
Thanks man.

Last edited by Diabolical!; 02-22-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 PM
2009 Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
There are two different clutch position indicators. One measures when the clutch is in the fully "up" or engaged position and one measures when the clutch is in the fully "down" or disengaged position. Most people commonly refer to the "up" switch as top and the "down" switch as bottom.

Yes. If you follow my wiring diagram, that is exactly what you will get.

Exactly. Sorry if I made it sound confusing, but the result you're looking for is exactly what you'll get if you use my wiring diagram.
Can you translate to me how to wire it without using a switch?
I'm sorry and thanks for the help but I am nothing special when it comes to wiring.
So if I had it actuating at the top of the clutch will it still actuate when it is also fully depressed? Meaning that it will stay on until the clutch is completely out.

Quick Reply: n2mb wot