Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long Tubes install question (bbk)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:52 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Default Long Tubes install question (bbk)

I've heard plenty of times that in order to install these bbk headers (correct me if I'm wrong, ANY LT's) that you have to raise the engine 2 inches?

My question is, do I HAVE to raise it up? I'd rather not because it sounds like the install is much more complicated that way. I do have access to a lift, would that help? And does anything require certain torquing throughout the whole install?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

You don't need to raise the engine, for some it helps with the install.

If you have a lift, which I did with my install, you won't need to raise the motor. However, depending on how lucky you are, you may or may not need to shift the engine left or right for clearance issues.

The torque on the manifolds is something like 18ft-lbs, so not much.

Trust me, you are not getting a torque wrench in there, so use the German torque method.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:39 AM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Ok good, That's what I figured. Did you have to shift yours left or right? And I'm not familiar with the German torquing method, what is it basically?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:46 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

I didn't have to do anything, which is what i expected from a top dollar header.

German torquing method = goodentight
Old 05-22-2013, 12:07 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Wouldn't that be Gutentight? haha

I did my header install on jackstands. I raised the engine because honestly, if you don't, it just makes getting at everything else so much more difficult it's not worth trying to save that extra step. The problem is that the engine is so wide, everything down around the exhaust ports is really hard to reach unless you can raise the engine to give yourself that extra room.

I honestly couldn't really reach the bolts along the top when trying to tighten everything down without raising the engine.

Also, I shifted the engine toward the passenger side as much as the motor mounts would allow just to make sure I had plenty of steering shaft clearance, but it may not have been necessary (was just a precaution, because I still have stock mounts).
Old 05-22-2013, 12:49 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

My German is a bit off, sorry
Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
I didn't have to do anything, which is what i expected from a top dollar header.

German torquing method = goodentight
Do you think I'd have any problems wth the ceramic coated bbks?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:12 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
Do you think I'd have any problems wth the ceramic coated bbks?
From a fitment standpoint? Can't say.

Material wise, could have some issues down the road.

I've head some good, some not so good, its just luck of the draw it seems.

Some need to move the motor over for the drivers side header to clear the steering rack, some move the motor the other way for the passenger side header to clear the frame rail.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I've heard conflicting reports about BBK. Bad thing about them is that they're all carbon steel whether chrome or ceramic, so they will rust eventually.

Fitment probably won't be a big issue. Getting the top bolt back on the starter might be a little tough if they aren't built in a way to allow access from the engine bay (the JBA's are, it would have been a real pain if they hadn't been)
Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
I've heard conflicting reports about BBK. Bad thing about them is that they're all carbon steel whether chrome or ceramic, so they will rust eventually.

Fitment probably won't be a big issue. Getting the top bolt back on the starter might be a little tough if they aren't built in a way to allow access from the engine bay (the JBA's are, it would have been a real pain if they hadn't been)
I haven't heard anyone having problems with the starter so I'm going to just pray lol. This is why I want install these myself, because there's so much work I don't trust a shop with it.

Quick Reply: Long Tubes install question (bbk)