Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Sudden Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Bellstang

Default Sudden Dead Battery

I don't post much, but read the forum regularly. I think this topic has been discussed on here (beat to death actually). Almost like the clicking sound in the dash..but I know what that is. Went out to a dead battery today. AutoZone checked it..it was good. Then had the charging system checked..it was good. CHECK CHARGING STSTEM light comes on periodically..but then goes out. I believe I read something about a battery or alternator cable that needs replaced..but I'll be damned if I can find it. I'm usually a do it yourselfer and don't want to submit to the dealer. Any input would be helpful.

About the clicking..does it hurt anything to just let it go and not repair it? Everything seems to work fine.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2013, 02:23 PM
illini4
1st Gear Member

I have an 07 GT. Alternator quit last Summer, and I replaced it with a NAPA unit. I had installed an AutoZone Duralast Gold battery the previous Summer and it went out last week (AutoZone tested it and replaced for free). How much confidence do you have in the tests that were performed?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Alternators on these cars are weak. Mine is on the way out...putting out 13.3 v max according to my headunit. You'll know yours is going when you turn the lights on and it whines.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:54 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

The diagnostic tools at Autozone only read an error when it is currently faulting. Our alternator failure can be intermittent and the diagnostic won't pick it up. Stock battery and stock alternators are weak. When you replace those things, clean the terminals and the grounds on the car.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Bellstang

Since my last post, I did some checking. I removed the neg bat terminal and put a test light in line. There was a definite 12V draw. I removed every fuse in the eng comp, light stayed on. Then removed all fuses inside the car, light still stayed on. I remember reading a post that stated if this happens, it's got to be the ALT, because it's the only thing that's not fused. Tomorrow I'll remove the ALT and unplug it and do the test again. I'm hoping that is my problem. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all your responses.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Bellstang

Well...removed ALT and pulled off the connections. Still have a parasitic draw. I'm stumped. Went to Auto Zone and they said it might be the Computer. Went home and unplugged all the plugs and still have the draw. Any ideas?
Old 07-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Is it the stock battery and alternator? Trash, if so, on both accounts. Spring for a PA Performance alternator and a decent replacement battery. All of your symptoms point to either one in which case BOTH should be replaced.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Bellstang

Stock alternator and a Duralast battery. Alternator putting out 13.3v and it should be around 14v. Also gonna pull the wires at the starter and see if I still have a draw. Could be a short in the solenoid or starter itself. Just trying to eliminate all suspects. Then I'll take your advise about the Pa Alt. Thanks for all the input guys. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:26 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Do you still have the stock radio?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Bellstang

Yes...advised wife to turn Shaker 500 off after every trip.

Quick Reply: Sudden Dead Battery