Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2013 GT Exhaust question/smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Flyinrazrback

Default 2013 GT Exhaust question/smell

Quick question, I have long tube headers, no cats, x-pipe and flowmaster exhaust. With this kind of setup, is the exhaust smell more prominent than the factory exhaust? I doubt I have an exhaust leak, but the cabin smells like exhaust and smells like it coming out of the air conditioner vents when the a/c is set to circulate the inside air. Any ideas?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:22 PM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a possible leak from the headers.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Flyinrazrback

I will have to check it out, it smells like raw exhaust and I can smell it from beside the car too. When I bought the car it already had them on there, just hope that if it is a header leak I don't continue to have these problems.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:51 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

It might be a leak, but since the cats are gone you can expect a gasoline odor as well. So, maybe it's ok, maybe it's not. Maybe have an exhaust shop put it on the lift and determine if there is a leak if you can't find one??
Old 08-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Flyinrazrback

Took it to an exhaust shop, they said no leak. He thought it might be running rich, so maybe the tune might need adjustment.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

I have 3 inch straight pipes from the headers back. The suff just stinks sometimes. I refuse to ride with my windows up and when I run it from one light to another and stop, it pours in the car lol. Every night when I get home I get a commen or two from the wife about "I smell like my car" lol. Wind and traffic dictate how much and quickly it makes its way in my windows. I have no leak and I am welded not clamped. Price you pay for sound and performance I guess.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:20 AM
cardude99
1st Gear Member

I used to have a diff stand with open downpipe exhaust, smell never entered the car so I can not comment on that, but outside it smelled like gasoline big time. I loved it, I think the smell of burring gas is awesome but that is just me. I must say the fact it travels inside your car is odd through, I def never had that problem.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Yea usually downwind and traffic. Very rarely does it come in the vents as I don't use them!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Flyinrazrback

Ok, a follow up. I still have the exhaust smell, and after I drive the car for even 5 minutes I smell like I stood behind the tail pipe for 5 minutes and have to change my clothes. There is no exhaust leak. If I put the cats back on the car will this alleviate all the smell? If so, what do I need to buy in addition to the cats to put them back in? Any advantage with going with a high flow cat over the stock cats? I don't want to buy a high flow cat if it is going to put me back in the same boat I am at now. I love my car, but hate to drive it now due to the smell.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:21 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Kinda like driving an old muscle car, straight exhaust smells like gas/exhaust. It's def due to the cats missing. Granted it's a brand new car.. it just kinda lingers under the cabin and sneaks it's way up to smell the car up.

Quick Reply: 2013 GT Exhaust question/smell