Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2010 vs 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 10:20 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

So funny how some (not all, just some) try so hard to justify having a 2010 over the 2011+.

It's like saying the 5.0 is better than the 13/14 GT500's engine because it doesn't sound as good stock or some excuse. When it's just a more powerful, better motor. Period.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:11 PM
CFLstangGT
2nd Gear Member

At the end of the day, that is what I find interesting. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 2007 GT, it was a fun car.... It was quick, but without supercharging it.... let us be honest your getting beat by a Tiburon V6...

The 5.0, is just what it is a better engine and so will the next one and the next one. Enough said.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

not just the power ..the whole car from 2010 feels way more refined to drive...quieter and 1000 times better interior..ofc the 5.0 is gonna be better but costs more..
i feel my 2010 is a massive upgrade in my 2005 in every way possible..
i wont be changing this one for sure
Old 12-29-2013, 01:10 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

I wish I had the power of the 5.0, but I bought my 2010 gt brand new in 2012. And got a heckuva deal, so no regrets here. I'm eventually going to procharge it anyways.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:10 AM
RADTech

Originally Posted by CFLstangGT
No, doesn't worry me. It is at the cusp of where you would need to look at that. It was built professionally by LaMotta and I'm comfortable with it.... So, I don't feel my car is ticking time bomb.

The car is a originally a Brembo package car, however the wheels are 2010 GT500 wheels.
What do you mean by "built professionally"? I thought you said it had a stock reciprocating assembly. A "built" engine is rebuilt bottom to top. If you just put on some top end stuff it's a" modified" engine. Big difference here.

My real concern is what Ford Engineering officially stated recently that the 5.0 GT engine in stock form is at its design limits at 390 lb-ft. They said further modifications to this engine are not safe and require forged pistons, rods, possibly crank too. Yes, they want to try to reduce the number of their engines that get blown up by overenthusiastic 5.0 owners by discouraging mods with this scary statement but it still makes me think twice about supercharging mine.

So how much torque can the stock 5.0 bottom end really take? Anybody blow one up yet? Can I really put a supercharger on top and not worry? I don't want to void my warranty.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 AM
CFLstangGT
2nd Gear Member

What I mean is the supercharger, tune, and all the other work were done by someone who builds Mustangs.

The bottom end of the vehicle is indeed factory, with over 10k miles supercharged and running flawlessly, I think I'll be ok.

No manufacturer will put out an engine that is "right" at its limits, wouldn't be great for their warranty expenses. Whenever someone puts a forced induction power adder to a factory car, you run the risk of blowing it up.... If that is the case, 99% of 5.0 owners are at risk with their CAI & tunes! Oh boy!

Then, you have to take into account who tunes the car and if the tune was a "can" tune or an actual dyno tune with someone who knows the particular car they are working on. Mine is the latter.

Thank you for the clarification on what a "built" engine is! I can now say I learned something new today....

Originally Posted by RADTech
What do you mean by "built professionally"? I thought you said it had a stock reciprocating assembly. A "built" engine is rebuilt bottom to top. If you just put on some top end stuff it's a" modified" engine. Big difference here.

My real concern is what Ford Engineering officially stated recently that the 5.0 GT engine in stock form is at its design limits at 390 lb-ft. They said further modifications to this engine are not safe and require forged pistons, rods, possibly crank too. Yes, they want to try to reduce the number of their engines that get blown up by overenthusiastic 5.0 owners by discouraging mods with this scary statement but it still makes me think twice about supercharging mine.

So how much torque can the stock 5.0 bottom end really take? Anybody blow one up yet? Can I really put a supercharger on top and not worry? I don't want to void my warranty.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:35 PM
2011P51GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CFLstangGT
What I mean is the supercharger, tune, and all the other work were done by someone who builds Mustangs.

The bottom end of the vehicle is indeed factory, with over 10k miles supercharged and running flawlessly, I think I'll be ok.

No manufacturer will put out an engine that is "right" at its limits, wouldn't be great for their warranty expenses. Whenever someone puts a forced induction power adder to a factory car, you run the risk of blowing it up.... If that is the case, 99% of 5.0 owners are at risk with their CAI & tunes! Oh boy!

Then, you have to take into account who tunes the car and if the tune was a "can" tune or an actual dyno tune with someone who knows the particular car they are working on. Mine is the latter.

Thank you for the clarification on what a "built" engine is! I can now say I learned something new today....
Awesome car dude... How much boost are you running to get 591 rwhp? I am about 14psi to get 520.