Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New member / a few general Laguna Seca questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 04:06 PM
priapism

Default New member / a few general Laguna Seca questions

Hi all, I'm currently considering buying a friend's Boss Laguna Seca. I'm not familiar with Mustangs in general, nor this specific model...but I did a few laps in one and I was blown away!

Few questions:

Is the front splitter easily removable? I think it would get pretty much destroyed right away on our local streets. I was hoping to just put it on for track days, is that feasable or is it a gigantic pain in the ***?

Are the "Boss" 5-point harnesses a factory part? (He had 5-points that said "Boss 302" on them). Does the passenger seat have hooks for the 5-points as well? Is there any way to route the submarine belt properly?

He mentioned he had part of it painted...not sure how much. Is the silver with blue stripe a factory color?

Thanks all.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:08 PM
priapism

Also, anything specific I should look out for? It's a 2012 with low mileage, but they're mostly track miles...compression test came up good.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:53 PM
ScrewedUp

I'd leave it stock. That's going to be a very collectable car one day. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:56 PM
ScrewedUp

Here's some info on the splitter install. Not sure bout the harnesses.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss-f...u-install.html
Old 03-29-2014, 09:59 PM
ScrewedUp

Motors are pretty stout on these cars. The weak parts are the transmission. The MT-82 doesn't like to be thrashed. Ford should've put a T-56 magnum in there. Listen for gear whine make sure all gears work well and check if still under warranty. Everything else is usually solid as long as you change oil etc.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:01 PM
priapism

Originally Posted by ScrewedUp
I'd leave it stock. That's going to be a very collectable car one day. Just my 2 cents.
Leave what stock? It's already been painted, if that's what you're referring to.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:55 AM
priapism

Originally Posted by ScrewedUp
Here's some info on the splitter install. Not sure bout the harnesses.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss-f...u-install.html
Thanks! I'll have to take a look and see if I can leave most of the hardware in place when I'm not using it....
Old 03-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by priapism
...Is the front splitter easily removable? I think it would get pretty much destroyed right away on our local streets...
If the splitter would get "pretty much destroyed right away" on your local streets, what does that mean for the rest of the car? You'd really buy a possible collectors car and then trash it on the street? I wouldn't even consider it as my DD.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 AM
priapism

It's a car. I plan on driving it the way the engineers intended, not placing it on a revolving pedestal in my living room. Guess this isn't the right forum for these questions...
Old 04-02-2014, 05:21 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Pretty sure the front splitter is just bolted on, so you should be able to unbolt it. I'm not sure it's even legal to drive with it on. You'd definitely scrape it driving around.

Not sure about the answers to your other questions.

I'd encourage you to research some Mustang racing history just so you know what you're buying completely, but don't let that stop you from driving it either. The engineers intended for the Laguna Seca to be a weekend warrior, driven in anger occasionally on the track and maybe while you're getting groceries on a slow Saturday. It's a nice car (and extremely rare) so take care of it if you do get it.

Quick Reply: New member / a few general Laguna Seca questions