Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Doors loose??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:52 PM
Bbowl

Default Doors loose??

Ok, this is really wierd. I noticed it when I bought it about a year ago and it seems to be getting worse.

2011 gt, 30k miles

I never noticed this with my old 07 gt.

When I hit bumps it sounds/feels like the driver door "slips" like its loose and thunks. I can't see it moving nor can I move it by hand. I was thinking maybe the panel is loose but can't jiggle that either.

The sound/feel it makes is as if I hadn't closed the door all the way. The first time it happened I was sure that's was the case but then when I went to open and reclose found it was in fact fully latched...

Anyone had this issue?

Last edited by Bbowl; 05-21-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:28 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bbowl
Ok, this is really wierd. I noticed it when I bought it about a year ago and it seems to be getting worse.

2011 gt, 30k miles

I never noticed this with my old 07 gt.

When I hit bumps it sounds/feels like the driver door "slips" like its loose and thunks. I can't see it moving nor can I move it by hand. I was thinking maybe the panel is loose but can't jiggle that either.

The sound/feel it makes is as if I hadn't closed the door all the way. The first time it happened I was sure that's was the case but then when I went to open and reclose found it was in fact fully latched...

Anyone had this issue?
yes, the doors do "chuck" around in the apertures when the windows are rolled down. it's a side effect of the combination of long doors and frameless windows.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:54 AM
Bbowl

Originally Posted by jz78817
yes, the doors do "chuck" around in the apertures when the windows are rolled down. it's a side effect of the combination of long doors and frameless windows.
it is the door moving around and not the window. Right?

Is there anything that can be done to soften it?
Old 05-23-2016, 09:49 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Window has some play in it when your roll it down.

Door is not moving.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:49 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bbowl
it is the door moving around and not the window. Right?
yep.

Is there anything that can be done to soften it?
no, not really. as stiff as the Mustang's body is, it still flexes some over bumps, and the door is only held in place by the front hinges and the latch pin. When the car goes over uneven road surfaces, the body twists a bit and the door(s) simply move a bit and make a mild "thunk." they're not going to pop open or anything.

cars whose doors have window frames don't have this problem; the window frame seats against the roof and pillars which helps hold it in place. Mustang doors with the windows rolled down don't have that extra support.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:54 PM
Bbowl

yep.

no, not really. as stiff as the Mustang's body is, it still flexes some over bumps, and the door is only held in place by the front hinges and the latch pin. When the car goes over uneven road surfaces, the body twists a bit and the door(s) simply move a bit and make a mild "thunk." they're not going to pop open or anything.

cars whose doors have window frames don't have this problem; the window frame seats against the roof and pillars which helps hold it in place. Mustang doors with the windows rolled down don't have that extra support.
Ah. Now that I think about it, I bet why I think it's getting worse is after I did all the suspension it's stiffer, now I did bigger wheels shorter tire walls and even rougher ride so it thunks even more. Odd I never noticed with my 07
Old 05-28-2016, 02:41 PM
Bbowl

yep.

Ok, I've checked out my friends 14 mustang and figured out what's going on. I have a lot of play in the striker that attaches to the inside of door frame that the door latch locks on to. His has a larger rubber stopper than mine too. His door barely has any play, from the outside if you push and pull on my door it has significantly more.

My idea is to either get his style striker and try that or see if I can loosen and move my striker farther in to make it tighter fit. Both are pretty risky it seems. I think I will try loosening and moving it very carefully to just set it back a mm or so deeper.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:20 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

can't hurt, if it doesn't work you can always un-do it.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:25 AM
Bbowl

can't hurt, if it doesn't work you can always un-do it.
They apparently have a pretty exact alignment. Not something you should mess with it looks like. Get it wrong and your door stuck closed when you close it
Old 05-30-2016, 04:30 AM
Bbowl

I did try loosening the strikers but they don't have much play in them, seem to tighten back down to the same spot, I made marks. I added 2 strips of double sided tape to the striker rubber bushing and it has tightened up the fit

Quick Reply: Doors loose??