Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:38 AM
Sreadon

Default Rear end noise

Hi,

I know the subject has been discused many times, but I can't find any "real" answer. I'm willing to buy a 2007 GT/CS Mustang with 55.500 Kilometers (~34000 miles) but there is something wrong with it :|

When I drive it slowly (5-10 mph), I can hear a "clunck" coming from the rear, I've read that it can be the "U Joint", or the differential. The car has been lifted up by a mechanic, and he told the seller that he could hear the noise when turning the wheel by hand and it's coming from the differential.

Does it seems "normal" to you to have that kind of cluncks with a 34000 miles car? I'm afraid this car has been tortured in her short life... Would you buy a car with this kind of clunck? The seller is okay to pay a new differential if needed, but I'm afraid for the engine / gearbox (manual). Here in France there is only one White GT/CS available, and it's this one

Thanks,
Steven
Old 04-11-2017, 03:49 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

If price is right I'd buy it.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Has the car had a different differential gear put in? If any of the bearing preloads are off, it could cause clunking. Preload is the amount of torque needed to spin something. if it's too low you can get clunking. When it hits that resistance, you get a clunk. Too much preload and you wear the bearings out.

I'd say have them do a pre purchase inspection on the differential to find out what's wrong before committing to anything. Here in the U.S. it's no big deal but I know the S197 generation of mustangs can be very difficult and expensive to get parts in Europe. Also, find a shop that knows how to work on U.S. cars can be hard.

Might be as simple as replacing the Pinion seal, bearing, and resetting the preload or could be a complete differential rebuilt. Again, not expensive here in the U.S. but in Europe, who knows.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:22 AM
Sreadon

Thanks guys.

I decided to not buy it, too risky bet.. It could have been a simple pinion seal as you said, or much more, like the entire differential to replace. I've found a 2007 Red Fire GT/CS with ~20.000 miles, first hand (only one owner in her all life), and almost full stock.

Yes, you're right, parts are a lot more expensive to buy here, mostly because of customs and shipping price.. As an example, a 2007 GT/CS cost ~30.000$ here :| In France you can have the 2017 5.0 for ~50.000$ but you have to add 10.000$ of "pollution tax" at the first registration...

Anyways, thanks for your help, I hope I'll be abble to drive some american muscle soon!
Old 04-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yeah red one sounds like a better idea. Lower mileage too!
Old 02-26-2020, 08:33 AM
cooperriver
1st Gear Member

How many bearings does the S-197 have for the rear-end? I have one that is beginning to get noisy. My mechanic says you can get it repaired but the cost can be more if someone just gives you a new kit. Please, anyone, intervene.