Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A Few Mods, Help Making Them Work Better Together

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:51 AM
SpecOps-13@tampabay.rr.com

Default A Few Mods, Help Making Them Work Better Together

I have an 05 GT, Stick, 4.10 gears, Axle Backs with 1" cut outs at the front of the muffler to increase the sound output, Roush Under Drive Pulleys, JLT Series 3 - CAI, New Bama V2 Performance and Race Tunes Finally Working Right. 2 Step and WAT Box (Currently set to 4,000 RPM and Automatic Time).

The car runs good, when I slip the clutch to get rolling but Burns the tires off when using the 2 step even with TC on. Takes 6.762 to get to 20 MPH (GPS Reading) from there on up it's not bad.

Bigger Tires dropping ratio to 3.90 effective? How tall and wide will fit stock ride height and stock 5 spoke rims? or Lower the 2 Step and to what? Don't have the software yet but N2MB Racing is right down the street.

Suggestions to maximize my current Mod State??????

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-08-2017, 07:52 AM

Is anyone home on this forum?????? Or did I post in the wrong place ?

Last edited by SpecOps-13@tampabay.rr.com; 07-08-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:08 AM
fourdegrees11
1st Gear Member

Havent found a single mustang forum that's as active as it should be. It's like they're all half dead. What tires are you running right now? Not sure what the max height tires are, but I know 28" will fit without issue.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:33 AM

Even my Club is dysfunctional. I'm used to the activity of the Yamaha Vmax brothers I have.

235/55 ZR 17, General GMAX Currently. 27.2 inch ht.

http://www.performancetread.com/gene...35-55zr17.html

Reaching for effective 3.90 gear ratio from 4.10 gear. 28's would make it close to that, Closer to 4.00. What effect will Street Slicks have, if any, on the traction control (Running Tires All The Time).
Asking a lot but need 28.5 inch.....

Not much into 70 mile trip to 1/4 mile track. So mostly Street Racing.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by SpecOps-13@tampabay.rr.com; 07-08-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:20 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Activity has certainly fallen since I bought my 07 new and was on here everyday reading threads and asking questions which would have tons of responses in a short amount of time.
You could try dropping air pressure a bit. It really just comes down to practice and lots of it
Old 07-10-2017, 05:10 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpecOps-13@tampabay.rr.com
I have an 05 GT, Stick, 4.10 gears, Axle Backs with 1" cut outs at the front of the muffler to increase the sound output, Roush Under Drive Pulleys, JLT Series 3 - CAI, New Bama V2 Performance and Race Tunes Finally Working Right. 2 Step and WAT Box (Currently set to 4,000 RPM and Automatic Time).

The car runs good, when I slip the clutch to get rolling but Burns the tires off when using the 2 step even with TC on. Takes 6.762 to get to 20 MPH (GPS Reading) from there on up it's not bad.

Bigger Tires dropping ratio to 3.90 effective? How tall and wide will fit stock ride height and stock 5 spoke rims? or Lower the 2 Step and to what? Don't have the software yet but N2MB Racing is right down the street.

Suggestions to maximize my current Mod State??????
I think the problem is that many previous 4.6 3v owners have moved on to the '11-'14 Coyote 5.0 and the S550, so there are fewer guys modding our models now.
Your problem is obviously traction-related and if you still have the stock rear lower control arms, get rid of them and say goodbye to wheel hop. I have the BMR LCAs with relocation brackets and they're great.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:48 AM

Yes I should lower tire pressure but carrying air to fill then back to spec is a PITB...

So far, no wheel hop at all with stock control arms? Car and rubber parts are like new. Dozens of launches. I will do Roush parts if it is needed in the future. and yes S197's are falling out of the spot light.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:03 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You need something better than 480-treadwear tires and 17x8 wheels.

What specific need do you have for effectively 5% taller gearing? I understand why you would for autocross (avoiding 3rd) or road course (avoiding 5th), but for straight line purposes, I don't. Worst case on the street (and before this thread goes MIA because it's about street racing), wouldn't you just start from a couple mph slower roll and make the other guy start lower in his powerband?

A 12-v portable compressor is all you need to air your tires back up. I used to use one for autocross, and bring one to HPDE track days. Even use one in the driveway when I'm too lazy to haul the little 120-v pancake compressor out of the garage.

I have no idea what a wat box is, or how it works, or how it might be affecting all this.

This site (like many others) has really slowed down since I first joined, and I suspect that those who still have their earlier S197s have either done most of the modding that they're ever going to do or they know exactly what they're going to do next and don't need to ask as many questions now. I know I've posted less here in the past month than I did in almost any single day 8 - 10 years ago.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-13-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
You need something better than 480-treadwear tires and 17x8 wheels.

What specific need do you have for effectively 5% taller gearing? I understand why you would for autocross (avoiding 3rd) or road course (avoiding 5th), but for straight line purposes, I don't. Worst case on the street (and before this thread goes MIA because it's about street racing), wouldn't you just start from a couple mph slower roll and make the other guy start lower in his powerband?

A 12-v portable compressor is all you need to air your tires back up. I used to use one for autocross, and bring one to HPDE track days. Even use one in the driveway when I'm too lazy to haul the little 120-v pancake compressor out of the garage.

I have no idea what a wat box is, or how it works, or how it might be affecting all this.

This site (like many others) has really slowed down since I first joined, and I suspect that those who still have their earlier S197s have either done most of the modding that they're ever going to do or they know exactly what they're going to do next and don't need to ask as many questions now. I know I've posted less here in the past month than I did in almost any single day 8 - 10 years ago.

Norm

Norm,

I'm late getting into the game with another Mustang. Head on collision destroyed my 89 in 1997. It was totally built. They told me I was going to be in a wheelchair from then on. Took this long for me to recover and get up the courage to get in a small car again.

The 89 had an effective 3.88 gear with tires and was a 12 second run. That's where going to 3.90 came from.

I'm looking at all the options to make this 05 all it can be with the mods I have done.

WOT Box is part of the 2 step system. When you depress the clutch it holds the rpm but only when at wide open throttle until the shift is complete and the clutch is released (N2MB Racing) Almost like a power shift but safer. RPM doesn't rise after the clutch is depressed. Some have reported a .7 second gain in the quarter mile using the 2 Step, WAT BOX.

Most of my runs will be on the street as the 1/4 Mile Track is so far away. I'm trying to keep the car as close to a daily driver as I can. Not a track car by any means. Got to find a compromise on the rear tires and the pressure in them.

S197's Rule for their retro look as far as I'm concerned. I want a 14 GT but their price is still too high. I picked up this 05 GT with 47,000 miles about 3 years ago, $15,000 out the door. It was super clean and still is. 14's were about $25,000 + etc. at the time.

Thanks for your input,
Dave