Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 10:29 PM
masterchiefbt

Default Check engine light

Just got a check engine light after a fill up of the tank......gas cap right? Did that and after 4 days it is still lit. Called Davidson Ford in JVILLE and they said that it could be high sulphur content in the fuel and to use Chevron Techron gas. They also said that Ford is getting ready to release a bulletin about this. Anyone else have this or heard this problem from another dealership? [>:]
Old 10-27-2005, 12:54 AM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Check engine light

There's a thread on "another Mustang forum" from someone who had some bad gas. Some bad fuel that made his 05 GT run like sheet, too...
Old 10-27-2005, 02:14 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Does your car run rough at idle when cold? If so do everything you can before taking it in to the dealer service. Mine was in for 6 weeks and they ended up replacing the whole engine! Ford techs flew out to inspect it and couldn't figure it out.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:02 PM
masterchiefbt

Does not run rough and manual mileage calculation shows our "normal" MPG. Crawled underneath and everything was connected and visually appears correct. I think I am just about out of options...It might be dealer time.[]
Old 10-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Does your car run rough at idle when cold? If so do everything you can before taking it in to the dealer service. Mine was in for 6 weeks and they ended up replacing the whole engine! Ford techs flew out to inspect it and couldn't figure it out.

I was just wondering what happened to your situation earlier today. Guess taht answers it. New engine? wow. Shoulda just given you a new car. So how's it runnin now?

Sorry , don't mean to hijack!!
Old 10-28-2005, 12:44 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

if you have a flash tuner you can use it to get the DTC diagnostic trouble code from the ecm. it also will allow you to clear the code and drive the car to see if the code reappears. i've used my xcal2 on my f150 and my wifes windstar. that thing just keeps paying for itself. my truck had some weird code i'd never heard of so i cleared it and it never returned truck was running fine when the light came on and still runs fine.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:16 AM
masterchiefbt

Broke down and took it to the dealer. They say it is a "grounding" problem in the fuel loop...ie pump, tank etc. My real question is why after 6 mos of ownership! This is my first Ford and I am trying to really be patient. By the way it is still not fixed as I was informed that the Engineers and electrical guy wants to still investigate. I will keep you posted.[:-]
Old 10-29-2005, 01:38 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

Masterchiefbt,

My '06 GT has a Ford recommendation to use BP fuels. The note is by the gas cap. I originally thought this was some BS advertisement, but perhaps there is more to the story?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:15 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

I was just wondering what happened to your situation earlier today. Guess taht answers it. New engine? wow. Shoulda just given you a new car. So how's it runnin now?

Sorry , don't mean to hijack!!
Yeah, I've had it back for almost 2 weeks and it's running like new. I have to remember to take it easy and that I have a new engine, but it's got the same power as it should and now I don;t have the suspension popping problem! On the freeway my GT loves going 80! That's its preferred speed!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:38 PM
masterchiefbt

Took my Mustang back to the dealer today so the electrical guy can look at it and I saw the tech service bulletin from Ford that references that Chevron with techron gas is the recommended fuel. gotta know what does that mean? If this is the only fuel that they recommend that is a bunch of you know what. I say the problem is bigger than Ford thinks. Sounds like this may be a reach. What do you think?

Quick Reply: Check engine light