Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

04 Cobra Supercharger in 07 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 02:23 PM
mericmm

Default 04 Cobra Supercharger in 07 GT?

I have a 07 GT that I'm wanting to supercharge. However, I don't want to spend a fortune with a roush or vortec. I found several 4.6 cobra superchargers for really cheap. How hard would the conversion be? (if even possible) and would it be worth it?
Old 08-03-2017, 03:24 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

The problem with the 03-04 Cobra supercharger is that the inlet is on the passenger side, and your air intake is on the driver's side, so it would require very long piping to connect the two, making it restrictive and inefficient.
I suggest you take a look at the Department of Boost GT450 supercharger kit instead.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:17 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

^^ what he said, dob is cheaper than the big names and a great setup
Old 08-03-2017, 07:51 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I looked at DOB, but didn't find it particularly cheap. You can get a Vortech setup for almost the same price and no fabrication
Old 08-04-2017, 03:05 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

There's no fabrication with the DOB GT450 kit as the phase III kit includes everything you need.

http://www.departmentofboost.com/pro...t450_index.htm

That said, this Vortech kit from Brenspeed looks very attractive and costs $300 less than the DOB kit.

http://www.brenspeed.com/v3vortech.html

The choice really depends on whether you want instant, off-idle torque or don't mind waiting until the engine hits 3000rpm before you see any meaningful boost.

Last edited by Dino Dino Bambino; 08-04-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:18 AM
mericmm

I do like the dob. Prices are similar between vortec and the dob but I like the dob better. However with either option it will probably be around 6 months before I purchase one. This is my senior year of highschool, so I'm not made of money. I worked all summer to get money for this project and came out with a little over half. I'm going to work the rest of he year but not as many hours so it'll take a little longer to get the rest
Old 08-04-2017, 02:18 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

among other things to note, the cobra is dual overhead cam where teh 2007 GT is single overhead cam, which means the heads are different, and the connection to the heads have different measurements, this is why you would need something like the adapters from DOB to use a supercharger based on either a different sized engine or different heads. You can occasionally find a good used whipple kit for sale at a good price, since people can get more for the supercharger kit off the car than with it, when they move on to another vehicle.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:15 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Another thing to keep in mind is once you install one, your engine with stock internals is living on borrowed time. This is another reason I've kept mine N/A.