Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help my GT is messed up

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 08:51 AM
Lukemitchell5590

Default Help my GT is messed up

So right now my GT is very sick and I need to get her fixed it's my daily driver so I need it. A few days ago it started idling horrible the rpms would fall almost all the way off then jump up then fall and so on and so forth, also the car sounds like a lawnmower engine now doesn't sound good. Also smells like rotten eggs. There is a definite loss of power and some of my sensors aren't working. The codes it put up were a bunch of cam position sens. codes and 02 sensor codes.

So far I have replaced the alternator because when I did my research it said that was the usual culprit, however it didn't fix anything. Also I noticed the oil was very low(assuming it was burning) so I filled it back up. Car does have a few mods, k&n air intake, bbk 62mm throttle body, long tube headers, and cat back exhaust system. I need to get this fixed ASAP so any help is definitely appreciated.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:19 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Help my GT is messed up

Lukemitchell5590, what caught my attention was your comment about the smell of "rotten eggs." In my experience the smell of rotten eggs usually led to the catalytic converter. Have a competent mechanic do a "temperature test" on your cats. Hope this helped.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:17 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Your cats are clogged up but replacing them will only temporarily fix the problem. The real issue is the oil consumption and if that's high, it could be contaminating the cats.
Does your exhaust produce blue smoke?
Old 11-19-2019, 12:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

When did all this start? Given your mods and the problems, it's not an overnight thing.

What work have you recently done on the car besides the alternator? Does the car have a tune, from who?

Yes, rotten eggs is cat related but that may only be a symptom of what caused them to fail.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:57 PM
Lukemitchell5590

Originally Posted by Derf00
When did all this start? Given your mods and the problems, it's not an overnight thing.

What work have you recently done on the car besides the alternator? Does the car have a tune, from who?

Yes, rotten eggs is cat related but that may only be a symptom of what caused them to fail.

The car did have a tune from superchips before I bought it but once I bought it the dealer took the tune off. I know it's bad but I've been driving it running lean for a few months until I could afford to get a tune. I might just take the cats off and see if it helps

A mechanic friend of mine said the cam phasers might be bad but I dont think that's it.

Last edited by Lukemitchell5590; 11-19-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:11 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Lukemitchell5590
The car did have a tune from superchips before I bought it but once I bought it the dealer took the tune off. I know it's bad but I've been driving it running lean for a few months until I could afford to get a tune. I might just take the cats off and see if it helps

A mechanic friend of mine said the cam phasers might be bad but I dont think that's it.
That is the source of your problems. You have mods that require a tune, and you are running on the stock tune. It won't run right, and likely you are doing damage trying to drive it that way.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:06 AM
Lukemitchell5590

Default .

Thank you for all the help I will give you guys am update once this all gets fixed
Old 11-20-2019, 12:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by JimC
That is the source of your problems. You have mods that require a tune, and you are running on the stock tune. It won't run right, and likely you are doing damage trying to drive it that way.
Yep, taking the tune off with all those mods could destroy your cats and engine. The Rotton egg odor means the cats are probably already shot. Keep running like you are and the engine is next.

Get a tune on it that is made for your mods ASAP!
Old 11-25-2019, 10:44 AM
Lukemitchell5590

Default .

So I cut the cats out went straight pipe...it helped the engine run a little better but still sounds like a lawnmower and has trouble idling...I know the tune is a big part but there is something else wrong too...yesterday the low oil pressure light came on
please anything you guys can help with please let me know

I'll put a video of the engine running in a later post
Old 11-25-2019, 12:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Get a tune. Without it you're just chasing your tail. Low oil pressure could be a side effect from running it modded without a proper tune. Like I already said, cats were probably toast. Engine is next.

Quick Reply: Help my GT is messed up