Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Bulitt
2nd Gear Member

Default first oil change

ok here is the deal i took my stang to a local mobile 1 oil change thinking they might be a little better than the jiffey lubes and the other bozos out there well of course i was wrong i got it home and looked uderneath and there was oil all over the place not that big of a deal just wiped it clean here is the problem i checked the dipstick and it looks like the oil is passed the upper dot i read the manual and it says anything above that dot could cause engine damange the book also says it takes 6 quarts they put in 6.5 anyone out there change there own oil ever put in 6.5 quarts what do u think i shoud do just drain some out cause i do not want to go back there agian and will not be lazy next time i will change my own oil thanks 4 all the help
Old 12-23-2005, 09:50 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: first oil change

hey bulitt,
for me, general rule of thumb is never let anyone do to your mustang what you can do yourself. Over oil, can have some minor affects or nothing at all. a lot of times it will just burn off if its way too full...or nothing really at all...i've heard if its too full it can mess with your compression but not too sure how true that is. I changed the oil in my girlfriends 96 v-6 years ago and the retards put over 7quarts in a 5 quart system, and of course no one knew until i changed the oil myself...but nothing seemed to be wrong with the car at all...
.5 quarts shouldn't hurt it i just wouldn't keep doing, it has specific capacities levels for a reason.

i took my GT to the dealer for the first oil change b/c it was free...got my car back and there were grease-monkey fingerprints all over the place, on the door, glass, seats, steering wheel and shifter...i was pissed, got a full interior and exterior detail out of it though :-)
that's why i never let anyone else touch my car
ORIGINAL: Bulitt

ok here is the deal i took my stang to a local mobile 1 oil change thinking they might be a little better than the jiffey lubes and the other bozos out there well of course i was wrong i got it home and looked uderneath and there was oil all over the place not that big of a deal just wiped it clean here is the problem i checked the dipstick and it looks like the oil is passed the upper dot i read the manual and it says anything above that dot could cause engine damange the book also says it takes 6 quarts they put in 6.5 anyone out there change there own oil ever put in 6.5 quarts what do u think i shoud do just drain some out cause i do not want to go back there agian and will not be lazy next time i will change my own oil thanks 4 all the help
Old 12-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Bulitt
2nd Gear Member

yea i agree i shuold have done it myself wont make that mistake agian thanks 4 the info
Old 01-07-2006, 05:40 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

I did the first oil change myself. Kinda regret doing it. I dont own a filter wrench and ended up having to drive a scewdriver through the filter to turn it. I got more oil on myself/garage floor than myself. LOL

Old 01-07-2006, 06:45 PM
quiksilva
1st Gear Member

Hmmm. I can have a "first oil change free" at the dealership also. Maybe I'll skip them, and do it myself.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:13 PM
buddah

i just did my first oil change and put 6 quarts... the dip stick is reading below then what it originally was.. should i add a half a quart?
Old 02-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Black Sunshine 07
2nd Gear Member

me and my mechaninc have done 2 oil changes on mine. we've done 6 1/2 quarts of fully synthetic mobil 1 both times
Old 02-21-2007, 12:25 AM
fosman77
2nd Gear Member

I always change My own oil, Have only done the Mustang once so far, It took 6.5 qts. I am using Castrol Syntec 5-20 and K&N oil filter, First change at 1000 miles. Will change at 5000 unless it starts to look dirty.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:42 AM
carockwell
1st Gear Member

Dang! I did my own oil and filter change twice so far on my 07 and 5.5 quarts always puts me near the top of the range on the dipstick. Am I missing something here? Its no big deal if you overfill and do not get a leak. The only risk from overfilling a few quarts is blowing oil out the crank seals. If you don't leak, you are good.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:13 AM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: carockwell

Dang! I did my own oil and filter change twice so far on my 07 and 5.5 quarts always puts me near the top of the range on the dipstick. Am I missing something here? Its no big deal if you overfill and do not get a leak. The only risk from overfilling a few quarts is blowing oil out the crank seals. If you don't leak, you are good.
The problem with overfilling occursonly if the oil level is high enough that the crank splashes in the oil causing it to foam up. Foam or air in the oil causes a loss of lubrication (i.e., airis a poor lubricant). To be safe, it is best to fill the engine no higher than the upper mark on the dipstick. An extra half-quart probably won't cause any problems because the design engineers should have allowed for some overfilling. But why take a chance?

Quick Reply: first oil change