Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

limited slip?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 09:18 PM
evolstang

Default limited slip?

I just brought my black 06 GT home. I have a question about the rear end. I read that all GT's have the limited slip (track-lok). Although the window sticker did not list this option. I am having a hard time understanding how this works with the traction control. It looks like the TCS and limited slip would work against each other. So my question is do all GT's have the track-lok and if so so how does it work with the TCS?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:23 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: limited slip?

They do have track-loks.

The way the TCS works is, since our cars are Throttle By Wire (Electronic THrottle Control), it cuts back on the throttle.

[Edit:] Congrats!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:27 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

I wouldn't suggest doing anything dangerous or illegal, but if I were in your position I would take your GT Mustang to a deserted road, turn off the TCS, and see for yourself how many black stripes you can lay down. If there's two stripes, then you know your car has the limited slip diff!

There's been several threads here about the TCS, so you might want to search the topic to see what's been written previously.

Welcome to the forum!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 09:33 PM
evolstang

Thanks for the welcome. I always thought that traction control used the brakes and applied the brake to the wheel that was slipping so that the other wheel would move the vehicle. I just had a hard time understanding how that would work with a limited slip rear end.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:57 AM
M
2nd Gear Member

no need to go do the test, you will lay down two strips of rubber

welcome to the forum, as mentioned there is a good search function here and when you get a chance try it out. i dont understand why some people wont just answer a simple question and then guide you to a place you can find more info, they will waste 5 minutes typing to tell you to go do a search rather than just tell you the answer and then let you know that a search function is available for future reference...rant

with that being said there is a member here that actually works for the company that developed the tcs for our cars, i cant remember his name but there are posts out there with his answers....if i find his name i'll let you know. you can send him an email
Old 01-12-2006, 01:29 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

This is the description I found on the Ford website for Traction Control:

All-Speed Traction Control
Traction Control improves traction on slippery or loose surfaces by using a combination of brake and/or engine control. It's especially useful when a lane is slippery on one or both sides, as you're pulling out from an icy parking lot or highway shoulder, and when accelerating while cornering.

This advanced feature is available for Crown Victoria, Five Hundred, Focus, Freestar, Freestyle, Taurus, and Mustang.

So it appears that the TCS manipulates both engine function and/or the brakes to slow down the wheel(s) that's slipping. Personally, I prefer to let my right foot regulate engine function to get my car rolling (in most circumstances). If I'm pulling out in front of traffic, I don't want the TCS to cause my engine to cut out. Now if the road conditions are slippery, then I think the TCS works great.

Hope this helps - I was tired when I posted last time.

P.S. - I would still do the burnout test - it'll be fun!!! [sm=burnout.gif]