Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

KB Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:58 PM
SLTEX

Default KB Superchargers

Has anyone installed a KB Supercharger on thier 05 Gt yet? If so, please tell me about it and specifically any issues in tuning? Installation? ...

Old 01-19-2006, 11:49 PM
OhFive GT

Default RE: KB Superchargers

I had a KB charger on my F150. The install was just as the book described. If you have some skills with mechanics it should be fine. Now the kit that they have for the 05 has the intercooler sitting under the blower which i didn't have on my truck but i don't imagine its that big of a difference on the install.

I'm still considering KB for my stang but I'm in the air about it between KB or Saleen. I'm doing my research, haven't decided yet. By all means keep us informed of your choices.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:21 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Both superchargers (KB & Saleen) are good and have great potential but you should consider the $$ factor. In addition to being more expensive, you are also going to have to drop even more money on the Saleen to get it equal in power to what you get with the KB kit. For the money, KB hands down.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:39 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

Saleen: $4895 shipped
KB: $5599 + shipping

I don't think it would be too tough to find some injectors, a MAF, and a pulley for the $800 (assuming only $100 for shipping) difference, so I really don't think the KB is any cheaper.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:58 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Better go to Saleen's website and check again - their s/c is MUCH more expensive than that. ($5,699.99 + shipping) then add the other grand for the upgrade parts.

Than research what power the saleen has made max at the track and what power the KB has made max at the track. (from Pro's)
Old 01-20-2006, 03:31 PM
llovato

Saleen raised their prices at the beginning of the new year. I bought mine in December, since the shop I use told me that they were raising the prices. Look around, you might be able to still find some for the original price.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:43 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

Better go to Saleen's website and check again - their s/c is MUCH more expensive than that. ($5,699.99 + shipping) then add the other grand for the upgrade parts.

Than research what power the saleen has made max at the track and what power the KB has made max at the track. (from Pro's)
I know all about Saleen raising the retail price on the Series VI, but (speaking of research) Saleen sells through retailers who typically discount, unlike KB where you have to buy direct.

Haney Motorsports has the Series VI here for $4895 shipped, as I quoted. JDM has it for $4999. Easy enough to find slightly used cobra injectors for $100 and a new 90mm MAF for $200. What's a pulley cost? $180 Even paying the $400 new price for the injectors I get $780 for the pulley, MAF, and injectors. At $100 for shipping the KB, it makes the price pretty close.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:54 PM
M
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: delurker

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

I know all about Saleen raising the retail price on the Series VI, but (speaking of research) Saleen sells through retailers who typically discount, unlike KB where you have to buy direct.

Haney Motorsports has the Series VI here for $4895 shipped, as I quoted. JDM has it for $4999. Easy enough to find slightly used cobra injectors for $100 and a new 90mm MAF for $200. What's a pulley cost? $180 Even paying the $400 new price for the injectors I get $780 for the pulley, MAF, and injectors. At $100 for shipping the KB, it makes the price pretty close.
dont forget the cost for a new tune (research)? everyone who has added those parts to their saleens have had to get new tunes to go with those goodies.

saleens are good, but those prices from those dealers are on last years leftover models (unless they kept the dealers cost the same in 06 as in 05, that would be the only way to discount so significantly from MSRP...which i seriously doubt, but i'll have to do some research...LOL) so if you want one i would snag it up before someone else does because then you will be paying the 5699.99, plus everything you mentioned above.

and i personally like the billet construction on the KBs
Old 01-20-2006, 04:06 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

Due to my other mods, I (and probably most people who buy either SC) be getting a custom tune either way, so the "KB's tune is better than Saleen's" argument doesn't do much for me. Not trying to start a pissing contest, I'm acutally on the fence with regard to which one to get, although the fact that Joe Lamotta's car got 430 rwhp (about what I'm looking for until I save up some cash for a stronger bottom end) with exhaust, intake, injectors, MAF, and the Saleen SC with 4 psi is a selling point for me. Personally, it would also be nice to save 8.25% tax on $5K by buying out of state, too.

Haney does list the MSRP as $5899, so I don't think they're selling leftovers. They're a small operation (moved to AZ from SoCal recently) and they don't have a lot of overhead.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:13 PM
M
2nd Gear Member

yeah yeah im with ya on not startin a pissn contest...they are both good products and i totally agree on the tax thing...im in PA so i'll benefit from that as well.

but regarding the tune it does seem that the KB tune is spot on, so why mess with the extra hassle until you actually do really push the HP? just my .02

thats crazy that saleen dealers can discount that much? $1000 basically

Quick Reply: KB Superchargers