Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tinting the Windows: 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Topcat7

Default RE: Tinting the Windows: 06 GT

How about the back window? does the defroster screw up the tint?
Old 01-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Jbird06

ORIGINAL: Topcat7

How about the back window? does the defroster screw up the tint?

No, as long as it's quality film.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:36 AM
Henry06GT

where did you get the felt from? Does it have adhesive backing? Did you have to take the door panel off?
Old 02-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Sulley

I am getting my windows tinted on Monday. I am curious if the percentage of tinting has anything to do with the chance of scratching. It seems that some get scratches immediately and others get none at all. Is the darker tinted film actually thicker? I am getting 35% on the sides and 25% on the back and rear sides.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:29 AM
Nick

I have had my 05 tinted for almost a year. When I got mine done, the installer said he wanted to take out the rubber seal and install "Mole Skin" I guess a brand name for the replacement rubber / felt that seals the window to the door. I have never had a problem with scratches on my tint.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:41 AM
BookemDanno

ORIGINAL: Sulley

I am getting my windows tinted on Monday. I am curious if the percentage of tinting has anything to do with the chance of scratching. It seems that some get scratches immediately and others get none at all. Is the darker tinted film actually thicker? I am getting 35% on the sides and 25% on the back and rear sides.

Sulley,

Sorry for replying after the fact.
I checked around quite a bit before getting my windows tinted. Most of the folks that are good at tinting know the tricks about the new Mustangs. Luckily while I was shopping around, one of them informed me about the felt. Needless to say the other three knew nothing about it, so guess who the winner was. The owner basically stated that the % has nothing to do with it, if felt wasn't applied the tint would get scratched. I have 30% on everything. State law is 27% here in Colorado and after talking to my neighbor a cop, he stated play it safe because they are on a local crackdown on tinting especially with the young kids and their tincan burners.
Interesting thought on the scratching....all four places I talked to guaranteed their work for the life of the car. For those of you that had scratching, if you had a lifetime guarantee, you should be covered, as you did nothing to make the scratching occur. Companies should be aware that they need to use the felt. I believe I paid $125 for the tint and $65 for the felt.

cheers,
dk
Old 02-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Sulley

Thanks for the info. I didn't get any felt put on and no scratches yet. If I get them hopefully the tint shop will take care of it.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:54 AM
Rezalien
2nd Gear Member

not trying to beat a dead horse but I did the same thing...(didn't get felt)...3 weeks later some nice big scratches appeared, had to take it back and get it replaced by tint shop. Didn't cost anything but time... but was a pain nonetheless.

Felt is now installed

Old 06-30-2006, 05:34 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

Dano-

Where in CO did you go? I went to Pro Tint in Lakewood, and they had no idea what I was talking about.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:09 PM
BookemDanno

BigNasty,

See reply to ur same post in general, I also emailed u a reply. The company is RM WindowTint and I went to one of the offices in C. Springs, but they also have an office in Littleton.

cheers,
dk

Quick Reply: Tinting the Windows: 06 GT