Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

?(s) about the Diablo Predator

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 05:55 AM
2GKT5
2nd Gear Member

Default ?(s) about the Diablo Predator

I'm looking into the getting the Diablo Predator for a stock (minus the SLP LMs) 5speed GT.
a) How much power do you think it'll add (perferably the 91 octane tune)?
b) Will the tunes that it comes with suffice?
and c) Does it come with a stock tune? Or do you save it before hand so if anything ****s up I can resort back to stock?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2006, 02:13 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: ?(s) about the Diablo Predator

Personaly, I love the predator tune. I loaded the 91 tune after installing an Airaid CAI and was VERY impressed with the power gain. I have since done several other upgrades and am going this week to a diablo tuner for a custom dyno tune. As far as H/P gain, it was significant, but did not dyno yet so am going by the seat of the pants feel. Much greater acceleration and it got rid of the throttle response issues from thr fly by wire throttle. No, it does not come with the factory tune, but backs it up when you download into your computer. To put it back to stock is a 5 minute process. You can also download updates and custom tunes from the web.

Good luck and look into exhaust and CAI for bang for the buck add ons after the tune.[
Old 01-22-2006, 02:21 PM
panapower

I like the diablo as well. Its nothing compared to the Motec's and Fast systems out there in the market. Then again, those systems cost an arm and a leg. We utilized the diablo on a ford lightining and although the process was rather lathorgic, we were able to draw out 413whp from 334whp. It took us a while due to the 'flashing' of the system but it got the job done safely and the customer was very happy with the results.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:22 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Follow-up - I forgot to mention that with the 91 tune and Magnaflow axle backs I was noticing it was running rich, evident by the soot I was seeing on the tips, but I then added the x-pipe and high flow cats and that issue went away and power increased quite a bit. I also gained 3 mpg on average with the tune.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:55 PM
2GKT5
2nd Gear Member

Ok thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I'm going to get it.

For a newb (like me), is it fairly easy to use?
Old 01-22-2006, 05:28 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Absolutely user friendly. You get into setting different parameters etc., but just to load a tune takes 10 minutes tops. Just follow the directions exactly about not opening a door etc., thus causing any current draw while loading the tune. Piece of cake.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:49 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

musicity-
what octane fuel are you running with the 91 tune?
Old 01-22-2006, 09:56 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Here in the Nashville area 93 is not much more per gallon, so I use it regularly. I am headed for the dyno for custom tuning this week after I install the 62mm T/B.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:11 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

thanks, I was just wondering b/c all I have is the C&L CAI and I had the 91 tune and using 89 petro. I was told to use 93 petro. Noticed a few issues after refueling with 93 so I went back and installed the 93 tune. It seemed to fix the issue. Issue being smoke at start up and then going away
Old 01-22-2006, 10:18 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

I noticed the same thing with a little smoke and some soot in the exhaust tips like I was running rich. I went to highflow cats and x-pipe from magnaflow and that went away. I would be leary of using 89 octane with a 91 or 93 tune in case of detonation issues. Notice any pinging or rattling at higher rpm's?

Quick Reply: ?(s) about the Diablo Predator