Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Black Mustang Swirl and paint Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 03:23 PM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Black Mustang Swirl and paint Scratches

Claybaring is taking a special clay and applying it to the surface of your car to remove contaminants...there is more info in the Detailing section of the forums.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:36 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

Jesus frickin Christ, andyman...........you have invented the "Black Chrome" treatment for our cars.[8D]

I know the pictures never do it justice......but I can still tell. Awesome, just frickin awesome. Making a list right now. Goin car product shopping....TOMORROW. hehe
I used this http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

I think I'll throw a few more coats of everything this weekend.

Here's more pictures

http://andyman82.com/files/shinyhood.jpg
http://andyman82.com/files/shinyrear.jpg
http://andyman82.com/files/shinyback.jpg
http://andyman82.com/files/camo.jpg

http://andyman82.com/files/startup.mpg

I like how in the last picture the passenger side looks camoflauged from it's shinyness In fact, you can see probably 90% of the things in the shop in just the reflection.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:00 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

I use a bottle of Meguiars suds to wash, Meguiars claybar in conjunction with Meguiars Final Inspection 34, Klasse Gloss & Polish, couple layers of Klasse Glaze, then seal it in with Meguiars NXT Wax. When the car gets dusty, I go over it real quick with Meguairs NXT Speed Detailer. All the while using 4 microfiber towels and 2 microfiber polish towels for the entire wash.

No, I do not work for Meguiars.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:58 PM
rasguedo

Looks like Zaino really works. Did any of you all have swirls that where removed by the Zaino product. Talking with Ford they say that the products reaLly dont remove the swirls. Trusting Ford however is an issue since they screwed it up to begin with. Zaino has a special swirl remover and the regular stuff that says it also removes light swirls. Any of you all use the regular stuff and have good results getting rid of your swirls? Regarding the clearcoat i did speak to someone that said if I wanted to show it Iwould have t o get it repainted, and a ton of clearcoat... The ton will minimize the appearance of the swirls even if they are there. .... Re-Paint a brand new car.... this really sucks....If i did get rid of the swirls... It would probably only take another month to re-swirl since it is my everyday driver I cant put it in a garage...

Old 01-27-2006, 06:19 PM
rasguedo

Here are some pictures of my swirls... There was very little sun so it was hard to capture but the one on my hood, you can see a white mark on the right of the pic, this is te sun hitting the swirls, if looked at right the whole side of the hood looks like that little spot. The door has some scratches, but look at how many...This has been done solely by openeing and closing i try to use the window to close the door but sometimes forget in a rush and look at all the marks done by my finger tips. On the other pick you can clearly see the swirl marks under the reflection of the sun... This is how the entire car looks... Does anyone elses look the same? Did Zaino take all of these things out?

[IMG]local://upfiles/28657/1518FBD68B2C4616A416E6C49FD239AE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28657/F239F1D4C22E46F58A170022F375E59F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28657/C43B1F81211E4295B4E91451B78822C1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-27-2006, 07:08 PM
millergt
1st Gear Member

Dude, look in the detail section on this web site. There is detailed instructions on how to care for your black pain. Black paint swirls. I also own a 540 black BMW and use this system to hide the swirl.

Later
Old 01-27-2006, 07:25 PM
RobD

Swirl marks and micro marring can be removed from black paint, not just covered up (they'll come back too fast). You might want to think about a Porter Cable random orbital buffer (about $109 from Lowes), a backing plate and some quality polishing/finishing pads. Random orbitals are very forgiving and will not burn paint like an improperly used direct drive buffer. These, along with some quality polishes and proper technique, will create a beautiful finish. Then, finish up with a quality wax or sealant. Just make sure you check compatibility between polishes and sealants. Some polishes contain certain oils which, if not removed, may prevent certain sealants from bonding properly. Visit www.autopia.org and do some research, then ask questions in the Autopia University forum (intended for beginners). The guys there are very knowledgeable and are more than happy to help. Check out www.properautocare.com , they sell quality car care products. Their site provides a lot of information about the products they sell and using them correctly.

The best defense against swirls and micro marring is proper wash technique. Improper washing helps create these imperfections. Use a quality wash mit, car wash shampoo and microfiber drying towels. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:27 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Lots of great resources and info here. I have an 06 black GT... well it's coming back from custom paint shop maybe as soon as tomorrow; won't be all black anymore. The entire car has been clear coated and I have heard from a couple custom paint shops what was said here about professional clearcoating. You're getting 3 to 4 coats of clear (supposedly harder why totally cured 4-6 weeks) and I've seen this finish against factory and one of the biggest differences is the amount of orange peel in factory clear (well I only saw a couple GTs and an 06 Corvette; I suppose Toyota, Honda, etc may be fine). You can really see this under lots of florescent lighting; in the spray booth it's so obvious; brand new factory clear with significant orange peel) I have been told not to wash or wax until at least 4 weeks; no problem, it's winter here. rasguedo, it wouldn't hurt to get a few prices from top quality shops, you don't need any body work or even basecoat; they will only need to sand, mask off the car and it's ready for clear. If you were considering painted stripes and wanted the edges buried (smooth to touch) and maybe other mods like painted mirrors (prep those yourself and save a lot), it would be worth thinking about re-clearing the whole car then. ...just my 2 cents... I'll be posting pics soon. Pic here is before car went to paint.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/4EFE44E0A4B64A069523AA881C797562.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-28-2006, 02:09 PM
toolttime
2nd Gear Member

The thing with zaiono is it goes on so thin and everycoat makes the color deeper and shinier Here's is a pic of my 96 eldorado with orignal paint and zaino wax. Looks just like it was when new

Old 01-28-2006, 02:35 PM
rasguedo

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

and I've seen this finish against factory and one of the biggest differences is the amount of orange peel in factory clear (well I only saw

What is orange peel?

Quick Reply: Black Mustang Swirl and paint Scratches