Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Black Mustang Swirl and paint Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 03:57 PM
rasguedo

Default Black Mustang Swirl and paint Scratches

Hey everyone thanks for all the good info on this site I have really learned a lot from everyone.
One thing I have noticed with my 05 Black Gt is the incredible ease at which it scratches. I swear I could blow on the car and it will get a swirl mark. It also scratches with minimal pressure, when I close the door if i dont use the window i get little fine scratches from my fingertips. I have had cardboard blow up against my car (damn shanty towns in school) and got scratches that I had to have fixed. This brings me to my first question.

When my Ford dealership fixed the deep scratches (cardboard) they left ****ty swirl marks, that you cant see unless the sun is pointed directly at them then it is extremely noticeable. When I asked them about this they said that they are not a detail shop but more of a machine shop and that you cant do anything to the car without leaving swirl marks. Basically they said welcome to owning a black car. When I look at other manufactures black cars that are older they dont look anything like my Brand New Mustang. I see swirl marks in there paint but not very noticeable at all. I baby my car, I dont rub it or put it under automatic brush carwashes... What if anything can i do to fix or prevent swirl marks, and if I do get a deep scratch how can i fix it without some shop putting more swirl marks in the paint but removing the original scratch. Just today i noticed a deep scratch(my fingernail gets caught on it) on my door above the handle (a leaf must have blown on it)... What can i do to fix it...I dont trust the shops around here , if Ford f-ed the first time. Wax isnt helping, should I buy touch up paint? How about the 3M swirl mark removers will this also fix a light scratch? When Ford fixed one of the old scratches i watched them sand the spot down by hand till it was white all around the scratch and blended in then they used some kind of solution to bring the black out then they polished it... Can I do this at home??? Is Ford paint really that junky?

As you can see I am pretty upset and bothered by all of this... I absolutely love my car but at this rate it is gong to look pretty bad in a few years and it wont be from neglect.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:20 PM
toolttime
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Black Mustang Swirl and paint Scratches

get yourself the zaino bros kit
Old 01-26-2006, 04:35 PM
rasguedo

Does the Zaino product really work? It says that it is abrasive and should only be used when absolutely necesary. Has anyone else used it and had good results? It seems like that would permanently fix it if it did work, butsince it is abraseive I probably have a good margin for error or making it worse. Any other opinions on what I should do?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Dude do what I did get the Fukken Wax. http://www.fukkenwax.com/Welcome.html Yes the black paint does get scratches easy but when clean it looks beautiful. But as my friend Ashley told me once, "Well you don't have to drive it then you won't get scratches. Get a bra for it and then you will just get a straight line of scratches. By the way I got stuck behind a wood chip truck and I was locked in and damn it ruined my hood and bumper. You know what I did I got it my hood repainted and front bumper. Now it looks better but it has new scratches. Oh well I figure I'll just get it repainted every year or so. I do believe this is my last black car even though I still love the color black. Also my opinion sometimes touch paint just makes it look worse. If you use a lot you will then have a pocka dot car.
ORIGINAL: rasguedo

Hey everyone thanks for all the good info on this site I have really learned a lot from everyone.
One thing I have noticed with my 05 Black Gt is the incredible ease at which it scratches. I swear I could blow on the car and it will get a swirl mark. It also scratches with minimal pressure, when I close the door if i dont use the window i get little fine scratches from my fingertips. I have had cardboard blow up against my car (damn shanty towns in school) and got scratches that I had to have fixed. This brings me to my first question.

When my Ford dealership fixed the deep scratches (cardboard) they left ****ty swirl marks, that you cant see unless the sun is pointed directly at them then it is extremely noticeable. When I asked them about this they said that they are not a detail shop but more of a machine shop and that you cant do anything to the car without leaving swirl marks. Basically they said welcome to owning a black car. When I look at other manufactures black cars that are older they dont look anything like my Brand New Mustang. I see swirl marks in there paint but not very noticeable at all. I baby my car, I dont rub it or put it under automatic brush carwashes... What if anything can i do to fix or prevent swirl marks, and if I do get a deep scratch how can i fix it without some shop putting more swirl marks in the paint but removing the original scratch. Just today i noticed a deep scratch(my fingernail gets caught on it) on my door above the handle (a leaf must have blown on it)... What can i do to fix it...I dont trust the shops around here , if Ford f-ed the first time. Wax isnt helping, should I buy touch up paint? How about the 3M swirl mark removers will this also fix a light scratch? When Ford fixed one of the old scratches i watched them sand the spot down by hand till it was white all around the scratch and blended in then they used some kind of solution to bring the black out then they polished it... Can I do this at home??? Is Ford paint really that junky?

As you can see I am pretty upset and bothered by all of this... I absolutely love my car but at this rate it is gong to look pretty bad in a few years and it wont be from neglect.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11318/8699F4D3332B4CD09B26422062418EE7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-26-2006, 10:26 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I gotta agree.......it's just the reality of owning a black car. I have some swirlies on the rear panel by the heritage badge from the first and only time I waxed it. Straight bummed me out. I've also had a couple of smaller scratches here and there mostly along the centerline of my car.............I'm starting to think that this is what is gonna finally make up my mind about getting the stripes painted on. So it can cover up the majority of the scratches and swirlies I've accumulated so far. lol.
I don't know if Ford's black paint job is more shoddy than other manufacturers', but I was considering something the other day. I was wondering if having a couple of extra coats of clear coat put on the car would help prevent it from scratching as easily. Or, I should correct that........it won't make it any harder to get scratched, but it SHOULD make it harder for the scratches to get down to the paint and then to the metal where it would be visible....and much more noticable. I think this is why you see some other make cars in black that are older but don't get noticable scratches as easily....maybe a better clear coat job. Could just be me, but doesn't seem like my GT has as rockhard a clearcoat job as my 98 V6 does. But I could be imagining that since my 98 is white.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/28087/7CA7B6D8AC854114A177BD9962480D10.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Truxtun
2nd Gear Member

Zaino is the way to go... and then some... lemme see if I can find a pic of my old T/A... yep found them

I have not had a chance to do the Mustang yet... but

[IMG]local://upfiles/26988/5C973F87F0BB4827A9BB64DB19FCBA97.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26988/8CDFF3A33D334804A6D52A1D85781A30.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-26-2006, 11:45 PM
bizbad

Its not that it scratches any easier than any other color. Its just that any imperfections show up easier on a black car. You will have extra upkeep but the cars look awesome when properly detailed. Like the song says, black cars look better in the shade. You will have to get some swirl eliminator of some sort, and use it often. Find a body shop you trust locally and find out what they use. I, 20 years and 6 million beers ago used a product that the show car guys were using. I can't remember the name (see 6 million beers ago) it was called mirror glaze I think ,made by 3m . Pink liquid that made the car look like it was wet. I am sure the show car crowd has some new magic polish they use now. Sorry I couldnt be more help, but you just took me for a trip back to my old Camaro. I had to reply, and I believe I will have another beer.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:08 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

I just did a whole Zaino line up last night.

I started by washing the car with palmolive dish soap to get everything off, then I dried it with a Sonus Der Wunder microfiber dring towel (THESE ARE ****ING AWESOME BELEVIE ME). then I claybar'd it, and washed again with the zaino wash soap (THIS IS KICK *** AS WELL, BELEIVE ME). After that i pulled it indoors and put one coat of ZFX system polish. This stuff goes on and comes off SO easy!!!! INCREDBLE STUFF!!! Then I used the gloss enhancer.

I would have put more coats of everything on, but i was tired and out of time.

Here are a couple pics

http://andyman82.com/files/birdsview.jpg
http://andyman82.com/files/GT.jpg

the pictures dont do it justice, you have to touch it to really know. It is slicker than ice!!

Here is a link to the microfiber drying towels. http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-dwdt-2.html
I dried my ENTIRE car with ONE TOWEL. THIS IS NO LIE, AND I DID NOT WRING IT OUT ONCE!!! I had to wring out a chamois at least 15 times. This towel is nothing short of incredble, i highly reccomend.

Old 01-27-2006, 03:37 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Jesus frickin Christ, andyman...........you have invented the "Black Chrome" treatment for our cars.[8D]

I know the pictures never do it justice......but I can still tell. Awesome, just frickin awesome. Making a list right now. Goin car product shopping....TOMORROW. hehe
Old 01-27-2006, 01:03 PM
j05gtvert
1st Gear Member

what do you mean by clayboarding?

Quick Reply: Black Mustang Swirl and paint Scratches