Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

buzzing X pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 11:08 PM
JIM1000

Default buzzing X pipe

I have the Pypes off road X pipe, my car now has a buzz in the front about where the pipe bolts to the manifold when adding power from very slow speed. Any thoughts? I have checked, and all is tight, even checked the aluminum shields for buzzing areas. Been under car and cant reproduce noise when on jacks.
Dont really like the pinging sound the exhaust now has either, may put original pipe back on, and sell the pipe on ebay.
Thanks for any suggestions
Old 01-29-2006, 11:12 PM
JIM1000

Default RE: buzzing X pipe

Does the SCT Xcal2 allow you to turn off the O2 sensors?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:26 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JIM1000

I have the Pypes off road X pipe, my car now has a buzz in the front about where the pipe bolts to the manifold when adding power from very slow speed. Any thoughts? I have checked, and all is tight, even checked the aluminum shields for buzzing areas. Been under car and cant reproduce noise when on jacks.
Dont really like the pinging sound the exhaust now has either, may put original pipe back on, and sell the pipe on ebay.
Thanks for any suggestions
I had a Bassani catted x pipe installed last week, and noticed that as I accelerate there's a buzzy metal on metal sound from the front of the mid pipe area, but I accelerate right through it. Also, as the car warms up it tends to go away. I've been under the car twice trying to figure this one out but it's more a minor nuisance to me.

John
Old 01-29-2006, 11:54 PM
mperez

Does that buzzing sound like exhaust is leaking type of sound?

Cause mine makes a similar noise, but like you said, you accelerate right through it. The sound is no longer there after the engine is running in its normal temp.

I have had my shop take a look at it, and they swear everything is in place. Also, I have no loss power.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Rannascar

I am installing my X Pypes tomorrow and I hear these issues. Did anyone have to tunn off the O2 sensors or used Mil Eliminators? Did you use a tune when you installed? Any input would be well appreciated so when I install I have something to go by. X Pypes said it was a sinple install no additions needed? let me know..

Thanks,

Randy
Old 01-30-2006, 12:42 AM
mperez

The only tune I did was when the CAI was installed. I didn't turn off the O2 sensors.

I have no loss of performance. I know it's not much detail, but I would go full speed ahead on the installation.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:02 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

This was one of the main complaints I heard about X pipes, which is why I went with the H instead. I get a little buzz at low rpms, which I think is actually the rumble causing some interior pieces to buzz. But it doesn' have the pingy sound that seems to be common with an X.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:45 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sowaxeman

This was one of the main complaints I heard about X pipes, which is why I went with the H instead. I get a little buzz at low rpms, which I think is actually the rumble causing some interior pieces to buzz. But it doesn' have the pingy sound that seems to be common with an X.
My xpipe was installed without the cats first, and it sounded awful (raspy, buzzy). Didn't hear that "trumpeting" that some have complained about. But after replacing the offroad section of the pipe with the cats, the cats actually mellowed the tone down, and is beautiful at WOT.

John
Old 01-30-2006, 04:05 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

What difference does having the cats on the x-pipe make, does it reduce power?
Old 01-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikefan20

What difference does having the cats on the x-pipe make, does it reduce power?
Yes, but not much if you use highflow (racing) cats.

Quick Reply: buzzing X pipe