Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Removal of the stock spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 08:29 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Removal of the stock spoiler?

I don't know much about body work, and I guess I could call around and even see if Ford will do it for cheap... but. I didn't want the spoiler, I just didn't feel like ordering what I wanted so I took the heavily optioned one from the lot because I couldn't wait to get in it! Anyway, I want to take it off and prepare it for a ducktail eventually, so does anyone know how much it would cost to fill in the holes created by the original spoiler and paint to match?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:59 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Removal of the stock spoiler?

Probably about $500-$800 but there are some spoilers that use the existing holes. Many threads out there on this. If you have a quality shop to do the holes you might want to think about losing the GT emblem and lock. The finish from a quality shop will likely be better than the factory and thus may look a little different than the adjoining rear quarter tops; may want to ask them about clearcoating the entire top surface (in other words clearing the entire top decklid area "light surface").
Old 01-31-2006, 11:02 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Well, just in case you don't want the hassle of clearing out the holes from the stock wing....here is one cool ducktail that uses the stock holes. This one is getting a fair amount of love from potential ducktailers on this site.....myself included.

http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/m...ry_Code=05BODY
Old 02-01-2006, 12:50 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Thats the one I have on order, should be getting it end of this week!

Old 02-01-2006, 01:50 AM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

i like that. wish they had side shots of it. wouldn't have to f*** with filling holes and painting.
ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

Well, just in case you don't want the hassle of clearing out the holes from the stock wing....here is one cool ducktail that uses the stock holes. This one is getting a fair amount of love from potential ducktailers on this site.....myself included.

http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/m...ry_Code=05BODY
Old 02-01-2006, 08:39 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Well, I haven't been able to find an official side shot of the GEF Racing spoiler, but it is nearly inch for inch a match for the new GT500's spoiler. Here's how that one looks from the side.....and the main reason I am considering this spoiler. Very nice profile from the side.
I have been told by a few ppl that this will be the official aftermarket knockoff of the GT500's spoiler.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28087/DD5FA2AABCFA478C8556D6F372B512DC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28087/2F7ACDDE9C864CE88C444912A57C9957.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-05-2006, 12:27 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Just got mine in the mail, those that have it...what price did you pay to get it painted?

Old 02-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Gonzo71
1st Gear Member

Same situation here, had to get the stock spoiler to get it off the lot. Just quoated $700 for complete replacement with CDC ducktail - labor only. Anybody have any comments on CDC as a vendor? I like their model because it deletes the third brake light. Considering getting rid of the plastic piece and key hole also.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:43 AM
pikeone

To fill in the holes and paint the decklid would only be throwing money away if you're going to get another spoiler anyway. Xenon and both of 3dCarbons duck spoilers cover the factory holes and you would only need to seal them with some silicone caulking. I got my Xenon duck tail spoiler from atlantamustang.com. They sell them pre-painted cheaper than anywhere else I've found and the paint was perfect. Just my opinion on the money.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Well, the reason why I wanted the holes filled in and such was because the CDC Duck Tail is the one I was planning on getting. I like it, but am somewhat forcing myself to look towards one that uses the factory holes so I can avoid that.

Quick Reply: Removal of the stock spoiler?