Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Newbie Questions On Gauges......Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 12:55 AM
one_focused_svt
3rd Gear Member

Default Newbie Questions On Gauges......Please Help!!!

Okay have a few questions, here we go.....

1. Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge, Can I get a link to a good wide band one please?

2. How hard are they to install, I want a A/F Ratio, and Oil Pressure Gauge

3. Do I need to buy anything besides the gauge and the a-pillar pod?

4. When using the auto meter nexus series what accessories do I need?

5. Do you recommend anything besides the oil pressure gauge?
Old 02-10-2006, 11:14 AM
one_focused_svt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie Questions On Gauges......Please Help!!!

Bump, Anybody?! Thanks!
Old 02-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Autometer is releasing their wide-band gauge kit:
Link to Jeg's Online

You'll likely need to have a new bung installed in your exhaust for the wide band sensor to be installed into. A local muffler and exhaust shop should be able to do that work for you.

Installing gauges is easy, but to do a nice job you want to be sure you take your time. Nothing looks worse than a hacked up interior or wires visible underneath the dash, etc. If you go with an A-pillar pod, go to your local Ford dealership and order a can of spray paint that matches the interior trim of your car. Then, after you mount the pod to the A-pillar trim piece and drill the holes for the wires and such, paint them both together. This way they'll match in color perfectly when you snap the whole assembly back into the car.

Be sure to get some plastic wire loom to cover and protect any wires you run under the hood or underneath the car, and secure your wire runs in place with zip ties. If you do a nice job it'll look like it came that way from the factory.

Biggest piece of advice though is about taking your time. Plan it all out ahead of time, how and where you're going to run your wires, etc. That way you'll know how much wire you need to buy, you can color code all the wires, etc. and it will yield a superior installation job with less headaches for you.

Good luck and be sure to post pics when you're done!
Old 02-10-2006, 06:18 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Fourth Horseman

If you go with an A-pillar pod, go to your local Ford dealership and order a can of spray paint that matches the interior trim of your car. Then, after you mount the pod to the A-pillar trim piece and drill the holes for the wires and such, paint them both together. This way they'll match in color perfectly when you snap the whole assembly back into the car.

He is getting the SOS gauge pods. They are made on a factory A pillar. So no fuggin up the interior
Old 02-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman
He is getting the SOS gauge pods. They are made on a factory A pillar. So no fuggin up the interior
Ah, those are really nice! I'll be giving those a close look when I get my 'stang.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:32 AM
akula52

Try www.rpmoutlet.com They have a good selecion and the descriptions will give you an idea on the install. I am putting a three gauge cluster on mine to include air/fuel, trans temp and oil pressure. I can't give any direct input on the install, I haven't put them in yet!
Old 02-11-2006, 02:19 PM
one_focused_svt
3rd Gear Member

sweet thanks guys for the input, I'm gonna go with the SOS pod in black, with thte autometer nexus series gauges, oil pressure and A/F ratio wide band, I just need some more $$$$$
Old 02-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: one_focused_svt

sweet thanks guys for the input, I'm gonna go with the SOS pod in black, with thte autometer nexus series gauges, oil pressure and A/F ratio wide band, I just need some more $$$$$
I've seen those Nexus gauges on other cars, and I think it's worth the cash for them just for the sweet start-up / shut-down sequence. *laugh* Yeah, I'm a geek.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:37 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Fourth Horseman

Autometer is releasing their wide-band gauge kit:
Link to Jeg's Online

You'll likely need to have a new bung installed in your exhaust for the wide band sensor to be installed into. A local muffler and exhaust shop should be able to do that work for you.

Installing gauges is easy, but to do a nice job you want to be sure you take your time. Nothing looks worse than a hacked up interior or wires visible underneath the dash, etc. If you go with an A-pillar pod, go to your local Ford dealership and order a can of spray paint that matches the interior trim of your car. Then, after you mount the pod to the A-pillar trim piece and drill the holes for the wires and such, paint them both together. This way they'll match in color perfectly when you snap the whole assembly back into the car.

Be sure to get some plastic wire loom to cover and protect any wires you run under the hood or underneath the car, and secure your wire runs in place with zip ties. If you do a nice job it'll look like it came that way from the factory.

Biggest piece of advice though is about taking your time. Plan it all out ahead of time, how and where you're going to run your wires, etc. That way you'll know how much wire you need to buy, you can color code all the wires, etc. and it will yield a superior installation job with less headaches for you.

Good luck and be sure to post pics when you're done!
+1 - well said. When I needed to add some gauges, I wanted something different so I chose angle mounting them in the passenger side above the glove box. Came out nice and doing a clean install with any part is the key to success.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24802/8BDAC2B9D0F84176A4781EE8C5169D12.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24802/97732E8231D34A78903B60BC7843A606.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-25-2006, 06:41 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I have a question on this guys. Do our cars (05/06) use wideband o2 sensors? I'm guessing yes, since i've already seen a couple of ppl asking directions to them. I got a standard Auto meter A/F gauge, but I think its a narrowband one. Do I need to get my money back on this or is going with AutoMeter's adaptor sensor gonna do the trick for me?
I didn't really spend much on this gauge, but I'm thinking that I should go for the wideband gauge and forget this one. I want a really accurate A/F readout.....as accurate as I can get.

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions On Gauges......Please Help!!!