Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car Care!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 01:57 PM
woodywoody
2nd Gear Member

Default Car Care!

Since you all know what your talking about, what should i dry my car off with after i wash it so i dont scratch it? Every little lamb skin cloth or whatever i have tried before always seem to do nothing but move water around and never get it dry like a normal towel does. Although, i have never gone out and got a nice expensive towel like a professional might use because i dont know where to get them.

-W
Old 02-13-2006, 02:04 PM
El Verdugo
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Car Care!

Get you an Absorber towl sold at any car car store, I do detailing on the side and those work the best.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:40 PM
woodywoody
2nd Gear Member

awesome, thanks for the advice.

-W
Old 02-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Scott P
2nd Gear Member

A waffle weave micro fiber towel is great. It holds a ton of watera nd is nice and safe for your paint.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Mustang7302

Look into a water blade. It's great for getting most of the water off quickly so that it's real easy to follow up with soft absorbant towel aftewards. Most auto parts placed should have them and run around $10.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

+1 on the Absorber.
I think that's what I got. It came in a tube. It is a synthetic chamois and you just get it wet, wring it out really well and flop it down and pull across or along the car. Follow up with a microfiber towel. You can also try the same method with a California Blade (water blade) but it seemed a bit small for me.
One thing, don't use the Absorber on the underside or lowerside of the car! There is sometimes dirt that I missed down there, especially when I open the door and get under the doorsill. You don't want to get this thing dirty cause then it'll scratch.
It works great getting all the leftover water that clings to the silly grill up front! Just wrap it around a finger or 2 and poke it in each hole!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:43 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Whatever you decide, just be OVERLY **** about HOW you use it and care for it. Don't just let it airdry, throw it in the car, and re-use it again down the road. Keep it washed, dried and stored in a sealed container of some sort, that way when you go to use it again you know its free of debris that will cause fine swirls. Most of your everyday swirls are not from the product itself, but from re-using it with "dirt particles" trapped in it. And whatever you use - keep it for MUSTANG use only. Don't keep in in the garage towel cabinet where you wife and kids can find it

I use a shammy (however you spell it) that came in its own cylinder contianer to take off the bulk of the water, then a damp waffle towel from autogeek to remove the rest of the spots/streaks of water, and then Meguire's Final Detailer with a micofiber. Looks like new afterwards
Old 02-13-2006, 07:44 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

I buy my detailing and drying cloths from this place http://www.autopia-carcare.com/somito.html they work great.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:48 PM
woodywoody
2nd Gear Member

WOW, alot of good points... I use to drive down the road after i washed my car and then get out and dry it off again becasue all the wind takes that hidden water and moves it. I have yet to wash my car since its been raining here and i dont have a car wash area but i will wash it soon.

-W
Old 02-13-2006, 08:10 PM
BradInFl
2nd Gear Member

I don't recomend using the absorber it removes or damges wax or polish. I have also heard that the waterblade may leave scratches. The water sprite is a good shammy if you can find them, but a microfiber drying towel is the best! If you can get that then use a cotton bath towel. Trust me on this, I have a black car and will avoid scratches at any cost.

Quick Reply: Car Care!