Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharging 2005-06 3V GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:49 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Supercharging 2005-06 3V GT

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf1986

I just bought a 06 gt and i was talking to the dealership(my dads good friend owns it). He said that as long as you get a supercharger specificaly for the model car you have)as in 2006 mustang gt supercharger) and its from summit then its ok. they have some kind of contract with summit because they sell frpp, but i dont know where you have to install it

That is hands down the most ridiculous statement I have ever read on this forum. I buy from summit almost every day and they tell you after ANY purchase that they're parts are for racing and off-road use and not street legal in most states.

As of right now, the Saleen and Roush are the ONLY s/c that even have a possibility of retaining the factory warranty if you meet their guidelines. AND don't expect any power out of these $6000 + purchases because to meet their warranty requirements, the tune must be VERY lean. FORD is not messing around anymore. With engine failure claims now, the actually defective part must be sent to Ford and the computer scanned for program flashes. I hate to say it, but if you can't afford to play - then don't. In the past, yes, you could just take your stock engine to the dealer and say, WTF? Nowit is a diferent story and no matter what anyone tells you, there is no way around voiding your warranty when you seriously mod these cars. if you can't deal with that, then don't mod your car and be happy with the awesome ride you got from the factory. My personal opinion is why bother unless you're going to go big?? Why would you void your warranty to half-*** a 50-100 Hp increase? If you're trying to get a little more power, then go with saleen or roush and follow the warranty guidelines. If you're going for big power, then your warranty should not even be a concern for you. If it is, then you're not going to be able to afford big power anyway.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:26 PM
FMullegun

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

the tune must be VERY lean.

I think you mean rich. Lean tunes lead to pre ignition
Old 02-26-2006, 01:08 AM
Legend Lime
1st Gear Member

Here is a new one coming out on the market some time in Mar or Apr 06 from Magnuson Products, inc. it adds 125 hp above the factroy power rating with 7lbs boost they were still working on the injectors when this artical came out they were up to 39lb injectors. you can fine the artical in the Feb issue of FORD BUILDER. you can get it intercooled or non intercooled and as of last week they still didn't have anything on their web site about the S-197.

www.magnusonproducts.com

sorry for the bad pics of the artical but i have an old scaner.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:12 AM
LOUDENUF

I had a Intercooled Vortech put on with no problems what so ever, except loosing traction and it dyno'd at 441, but it's not an everday driver either but I have taken it on the track at VIR and drove it hard with no probs.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:15 PM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Chevy Killer, if you can't pay to play, then don't do it. You may end up with an out of warranty car sitting in your driveway with a blown motor and STILL a monthly payment on it. not worth the risk unless you can afford to drop in a new motor for 5K+. Stick with N/a mods like cold air intake, headers, UDP, exhaust, gears, etc. and get a good boost in power without risking total meltdown.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:45 PM
mjcobra18
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf1986

I just bought a 06 gt and i was talking to the dealership(my dads good friend owns it). He said that as long as you get a supercharger specificaly for the model car you have)as in 2006 mustang gt supercharger) and its from summit then its ok. they have some kind of contract with summit because they sell frpp, but i dont know where you have to install it

That is hands down the most ridiculous statement I have ever read on this forum. I buy from summit almost every day and they tell you after ANY purchase that they're parts are for racing and off-road use and not street legal in most states.

As of right now, the Saleen and Roush are the ONLY s/c that even have a possibility of retaining the factory warranty if you meet their guidelines. AND don't expect any power out of these $6000 + purchases because to meet their warranty requirements, the tune must be VERY lean. FORD is not messing around anymore. With engine failure claims now, the actually defective part must be sent to Ford and the computer scanned for program flashes. I hate to say it, but if you can't afford to play - then don't. In the past, yes, you could just take your stock engine to the dealer and say, WTF? Nowit is a diferent story and no matter what anyone tells you, there is no way around voiding your warranty when you seriously mod these cars. if you can't deal with that, then don't mod your car and be happy with the awesome ride you got from the factory. My personal opinion is why bother unless you're going to go big?? Why would you void your warranty to half-*** a 50-100 Hp increase? If you're trying to get a little more power, then go with saleen or roush and follow the warranty guidelines. If you're going for big power, then your warranty should not even be a concern for you. If it is, then you're not going to be able to afford big power anyway.
my uncle is the service manager at a ford dealership in minnesota, and he is going to be working on our mustang in a couple weeks. from what he says, there is NO supercharger that wont have problems with the warranty if the engine blows. he said no supercharger "voids" a warranty, but if something happens, Ford WILL reject the warranty claim if there is a supercharger on or the computer is reflashed, regardless of what the supercharger brand is. if they conclude it was the reflashing that made it happen(which he said is the case 90% of the time) there is no chance ford will replace the engine. he said theyve had 4 engine failures with superchargers this year, and not one was covered by ford...these were on trucks however.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:12 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjcobra18

there is NO supercharger that wont have problems with the warranty if the engine blows. he said no supercharger "voids" a warranty, but if something happens, Ford WILL reject the warranty claim if there is a supercharger on or the computer is reflashed, regardless of what the supercharger brand is. if they conclude it was the reflashing that made it happen(which he said is the case 90% of the time) there is no chance ford will replace the engine. he said theyve had 4 engine failures with superchargers this year, and not one was covered by ford...these were on trucks however.
Now THAT'S stupid..........a supercharger on a truck. What's the frickin point? You want a supercharged V8.........don't put it in something that is designed for low end torque and not high rpm operation.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

The dealership I bought my mustang from just installed a supercharger on a Roush Mustang and they now want 52.000 for it but it does have a warranty. Unfortunely that is well out of my price range. Hell a cobra is cheaper with the bigger engine and supercharger.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:49 PM
mjcobra18
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

ORIGINAL: mjcobra18

there is NO supercharger that wont have problems with the warranty if the engine blows. he said no supercharger "voids" a warranty, but if something happens, Ford WILL reject the warranty claim if there is a supercharger on or the computer is reflashed, regardless of what the supercharger brand is. if they conclude it was the reflashing that made it happen(which he said is the case 90% of the time) there is no chance ford will replace the engine. he said theyve had 4 engine failures with superchargers this year, and not one was covered by ford...these were on trucks however.
Now THAT'S stupid..........a supercharger on a truck. What's the frickin point? You want a supercharged V8.........don't put it in something that is designed for low end torque and not high rpm operation.
thats what i thought...
Old 02-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I'm throwing my hat in with ChevyKiller and demarcom on this one. If you're really worried about your warranty, then don't do things you know can damage your ride and lead you to seek costly repairs.

I mean what are we really talking about here? There's something pretty shady about slapping a blower on an engine, running the damn thing so hard as to grenade your block, and then trying to go crying about it to "Uncle" Ford--fix it! fix it for free! C'mon, how about having a little sense of responsibility for your mods. If you can't accept the potential consequences of YOUR actions (not Ford's), then don't do it. If you're willing to man-up to the bar, then have fun, certainly be safe and smart, but if something goes wrong, nobody forced you to modify your ride.

Best,
-j