Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust too loud...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Exhaust too loud...

This happened about an hour and a half ago. I had just gotten off work and I was pulling out of the back alley and this car stopped to let me out, so I wedged out there and drove away. Though directly behind this car that stopped for me was a cop, and I could see his head just jerk towards my direction and I was like. "Ah crap, I'm going to get pulled over." All the while I'm under the impression the 'jerk' of his head was to see the license plate inside my window, because like most I deny the idea of drilling holes into my bumper.

So anyway there is a light about 20 feet away, and I didn't get 10 feet past him and he threw on his lights so traffic would excuse him to make a U-turn. Then he drives up behind me and simply sits there, no lights. I knew he was simply waiting for me to get in a clear area so he can safely pull me over and have some room to get out and such, since it's a pretty busy time and road.

Nevertheless he comes up to the window, and I'm hanging my credentials out the window and he simply says. "That's a really loud exhaust you have." (For some help they are SLP Loudmouths, though I also have an Offroad H-pipe.) So I tell him. "Yeah well, they are legal so I don't know what the problem is." Then he's going on. "They could cause an accident, I could give you a ticket for them." He was really just trying to be a dick. So I just try to be polite but don't let him get to me and was like. "I don't know what to tell you." SLP is in New Jersey if some of you didn't know that, and actually pretty close to me. So I was like. "The people who make the exhaust are just a little south here, and obviously they wouldn't be in business if they made a product that wasn't legal." You know, giving him a speel.

So I get out and he inspects the exhaust, and then ... what just made me grin from ear to ear was him saying. "You're lucky I love Mustangs." Haha. Of course I doubt there was anything he could 'really' do, other then give me a summons to court and I'd have to go deal with the judge and plead my case. Though it was just funny. Then he tells me to get back in and pull into this gas station up ahead so he can 'check it out.' though now he's the one grinning!

So we end up just bull****ting for like 40 minutes, and then we both go our seperate ways. Of course it took like an hour out of my day, and I had just gotten off work and was like. "****, not what I needed." Though it was just funny and I figured i'd share that with you all.

-Menace
Old 02-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust too loud...

Man jersey doesnt sound too fun. I got a few thumbs up from cops around here and its not even legal here to my knowledge.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

About a week ago I was at a light right beside a cop and as soon as it turned green I babied it because I didn't want to get pulled over, because it really is loud... lol. Then I just said **** it, and gave it a little more gas and pulled out past him (Though not breaking any speed limits. lol) Then I slowed down because I needed to get in his lane to turn. So I guess it all depends on the cop.

It also doesn't help that I was driving through a small town, which probably adds a lot to the sound because there are buildings on both sides and it's a small street. lol. Though NJ does suck major goat *****. We have too many laws for our own good.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:21 PM
BlueC500

I enjoyed reading your post but although sorry to hear of your inconvience glad to hear you didn't get a summons. I too have had my dealings with our friends in blue with simular results...although I have a different exhaust set up mine too much louder then normal. I was trying to figure out a way to hook up the front lisence plate w/o drilling holes or permantly mounting the plate. if you come up with something let me know

[IMG]local://upfiles/28690/6394A526B86A4E8CBD1FF817E5CF3967.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

There are several topics on here about the mounting of the Front license plate. Some suggest using 3M Tape and some REALLY powerful magnets. lol.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:54 PM
BlueC500

I heard about using an electro magnet set up, but I was a little sceptical...
Old 02-16-2006, 12:19 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Any exhaust with out cats is illegal. It's not the states that the determine the legality of exhaust. States only have the po rto determine emission standards. Per FEDERAL law, vehicles produced after a certain year ( I don't remember what teh law is) are required to have cats. As a matter of fact, dealer's nationwide have a federal mandate upon them that if a cat goes out before 75K miles, they must replace it, whether the warranty was purchased or not. The only stipulation for the dealer not being required to replace the cats is if the exhaust has been modified in a way that voids emissions standards. (this can cause premature wear on the cats).

Chances are that he didn't even know that, as it's a federal law that almost no-one pays attention to. The only laws that they care about are the local emission's standards.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:40 AM
wyncameron

In the state of Illinois you have to get your emissions inspected every other year. If you have not CATS can they nail me at that point and not pass the cars. Anyone have this experience
Old 02-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Just keep your stock pipes with cats stored away Wyn, so when emission time comes around you can throw them back on. It's illegal yes to have them on, though I'm not going to say. "I don't have any cats." He asked about my mufflers, and the mufflers, are legal. lol.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:58 PM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

in response to your statement "they wouldn't be in business if what they were selling was illegal"....not the BEST argument (although your cop didn't seem to care).

for example: aftermarket tinting of driver and passenger windows in california is illegal....yet there seems to be a tint shop on every corner. i have heard of someone driving out of the window tint place, only to get pulled over by a cop waiting nearby. talk about messed up. you can't even roll your windows down for the first few days to avoid cops who just stake out the tint shops.

anyway, glad to hear your cop was cool. who wouldn't love a mustang? right? haha

Quick Reply: Exhaust too loud...