Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

anybody running the zex nitrous system with purge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 03:21 AM
StangFish

Default anybody running the zex nitrous system with purge?

their kit for their test-car 05 Mustang GT has stock motor and suspension mods. I'd think that wuold be a pretty fun system. Considering its less then half of a s/c, and i must admit, the purging looks pretty cool.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:59 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: anybody running the zex nitrous system with purge?

PM MHShockey30 for more info but he's got the kit and his purge comes out the grill pony's nose...He's also got the rims I want
Old 02-18-2006, 07:03 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

I have a NOS kit but the only difference between them is the NOS is Blue and the ZEX is purple. I have a blue car so you can kinda figure why I went with NOS...LOL It is a great addition for on-demand power. Be careful though, it is VERY EASY to be become a nitrous junkie. Trust me, if you get the kit, you'll laugh at that. I would recommend getting 2 bottles hooked up so you're not having to bother with fills so much and mine purges from the pony's nose too - the best spot IMO. If you ever plan on going to a track, also buy the blow down kit cause you have to have it at a track to race. Here's what they are:

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

This is the ZEX one and as you can see - not expensive at all and you should have one for safety even if you don't race. They work by feeding the gas under the car in case of a bottle leak.

I know several guys running 100-150 shot (I believe the ZEX kit is a 125 shot kit for our cars) with no problems.

PS - I STRONGLY recommend also getting a MSD electronic window switch. With this does is set the nitrous to disengage at a certain RPM point (whatever you program it to) This is the BEST $100 bucks spent in my opinion. You do not want to miss a gear while on the juice and blow your engine. (will happen if you miss a gear and rev her up)

Have fun with it...

EDIT - Almost forgot - also get a bottle blanket and a bottle heater. If you want to get the most out of your juice, you have GOT to keep it warm.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:02 PM
StangFish

awesome, sounds good. any pics of the purge? this is what im planning currently... SLP loudmouth's w/ x-pipe, 4.10 gears, saleen suspension kit(or one of the eibach kits. havent decided), CAI, diablo predator flash tuner and the zex kit with LED purge, bottle heater, remote bottle opener, and window switch. what do u guys think, and how much roughly am i looking at $$$ wise
Old 02-18-2006, 08:28 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

It's raining here today so I'm not going to get any video of the purge. Send me a PM reminder and I'll take some video when the weather clears up. I good nitrous system with all the goodies should run you about $1000 installed - It should be 2-3 hours of wiring alone if done right. Make sure you get a CLEAN install. IMO - how it looks is as important as how it performs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24802/DE874B53E9344A3493B3D0607DC304D2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24802/7507F4FD66E2487888CBBF313F06B243.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24802/3F334B1F51924AAB9CBA5D098F397E3E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-18-2006, 08:31 PM
StangFish

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

It's raining here today so I'm not going to get any video of the purge. Send me a PM reminder and I'll take some video when the weather clears up. I good nitrous system with all the goodies should run you about $1000 installed - It should be 2-3 hours of wiring alone if done right. Make sure you get a CLEAN install. IMO - how it looks is as important as how it performs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24802/DE874B53E9344A3493B3D0607DC304D2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24802/7507F4FD66E2487888CBBF313F06B243.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24802/3F334B1F51924AAB9CBA5D098F397E3E.jpg[/IMG]
man that looks clean. which switch is the purge, which is bottle opener, etc?
Old 02-18-2006, 08:56 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

The fisrt switch next to the blue one is the opener and the blue switch is the purge. My window switch is mounted in the upper side of the inside of the glovebox. The far right gauge on the passenger side is the bottle presure gauge and the activation switch is set-up on my shifter. Since this photo, I haven't put on my bottle blanket and warmer yet cause I can't use the darn thing till I get my new motor done. It is getting balanced now so I'm finally close. Believe me I am dying to squeeze...LOL I'll be fogging a 150 shot over an 18-20 psi s/c.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:16 PM
StangFish

haha that thing is gonna be pushing some maddd power. id want to mount my switches somewhere else, not reachable from the passenger. i can just picture my friends pressing the purge every 5 seconds and then i have an empty bottle. do both the bottle heater and remote bottle opener work within seconds. or does it take time for the bottle to heat up, and such. and do u have to warm the bottle to do purges?
Old 02-18-2006, 09:22 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

You don't have to warm for purges and can do them anytime. Believe me, you'll waste lots of juice doing purges when you first get it... LOL

I have always turned the bottle warmers on my nitrous cars about 1/2 hour before I knew I was going to use them. When you get it and test it out, you'll quickly see what I mean about performance on a warm vs. cold bottle. In the old days, we actually used to run a torch up and down them for a few minutes to get the presure up.

Have fun and keep me posted once it's in.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:36 PM
StangFish

haha yeah i bet. but say your not running nitrous and you see a ferrari or something. u heat it up and catch up to the ferrari. pull up next to it. say this is like a 5 minute period. would the power be affected in this time 5 minute heating period?

Quick Reply: anybody running the zex nitrous system with purge?